Worsening Tinnitus Scaring Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taylorslay, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Anyone here have tinnitus from acoustic trauma and it HAS NOT gotten worse?

My tinnitus is getting worse suddenly and I don't know what to do? I haven't exposed myself to loud noises. The only loudish thing may come from things falling on the ground. :(

Oh doctors why don't you cure us all of this wretched hell?

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I'm sorry that your tinnitus is affecting you this badly. Your tinnitus is somewhat new, so it's scary and we all been there. Just try to relax, because stress/anxiety can make your tinnitus worst. You can possibly talk things out with someone that you trust. It's going to be ok, this board is here to support you :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      When did your T start? I can only see 2017 (?) from your profile. I got my T from NIHL and it got a bit worse with time (coming months) but settled down to the baseline I have now. The reason why a lot of people (not all) get worse T is that the cells in your ear that took the beating might die slowly, hence the delay and worsen over time. Usually, it's not a lot. I have read about a lot of members here getting better (recovering cells basically) who's T have become quieter. So there is still hope!
      I can say this though, the T was louder at the onset but it felt 100000% worse for me that my a bit louder T today where I can forget it for a whole day or sit in silence without "hearing it". I would rather be able to do the latter than having quiet T but never be able to stop thinking about it, to be honest. Your T might still be new and it can change up and down a lot during the first 6-12 months, totally normal!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Fangen
      What you have said makes me so happy I tear up a bit.

I got my T and hearing loss about 2 months ago.

I've noticed a huge fluctuation in my hearing as well. It gets better then it gets worse. It scares me. But my T this morning was bad. Then once I stopped masking it, it died down a bit. I don't notice it when I'm busy. But it still scares me

Did you have a fluctuation in your hearing during this time?

6. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      My T was caused by acoustic trauma and it's fairly stable. I got T in the last week of July 2016. It got louder after one week (post-microsuction) then stayed that way until my major, major, major setback one year later (July this year). Volume is the same but I developed Morse code T in my right ear after that. I get volume spikes after too much noise but they die down.

If I didn't have hyperacusis, I really wouldn't be bothered by my T.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lex what happen July this year?

8. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Got exposed to loud music from a speaker at the mall. I was standing too close because the speaker wasn't switched on. But it suddenly went on and I froze in place. I was exposed for around 30 seconds.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How bad is your hearing in general? And how loud is your T?

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Taylorslay

If the tinnitus was originally caused by loud noise it usually gets worse by further exposure to loud noise/ trauma. My tinnitus did get worse after a second noise trauma but I eventually habituated. You say that you haven't been exposed to loud noise? Do you listening to music "through headphones" even at low volume? Or attend venues where music is played: clubs, concerts? Do you go to the movies? You haven't mentioned how many months that you've had tinnitus?

Have you been referred to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for tinnitus treatment and management? Please click on the links below and read my articles on tinnitus that you might find helpful.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

When I meant I haven't been exposed to loud noise I meant this T spike. I did listen to music on loud volumes before. I'm going to the ENT on the 17th. My family kept thinking this was all anxiety related so they held it off for so long untill I kept bothering them about setting up an appointment.

12. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      My T is mild to moderate.

I had a hearing test August 2016 and it was normal. But! Music sounds different to me. It sounds tinny. High-pitched sounds also stand out to me -- keys, cutlery, etc.

13. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Yeap, it can take up to 2 years for this. I just don't have the research paper in handy for this to read. I believe you have a good chance to improve due to the young of your age, but then again the prognosis is unpredictable. What medical tests did you have?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I had an MRI but I had sudden hearing loss after loud music and I'm waiting for my appointment that's in one week.

What do you suppose I can do till then to just calm down and relax and just give my ears a break?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My right ear the T got progressively worse. It's not unbearable but it's not enjoyable either.

I can no longer hear soft sounds in both of my ears.

16. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I'm gonna be honest with you. I read above that your parents blamed anxiety for this so you delayed your ENT visit. Mistake. Usually for a condition like what you described you needed to go to your doctor ASAP and ask for a course of corticosteroids after the acoustic trauma, to possibly prevent the damage spreading. Not that this is a guarantee, but it's an available protocol that sadly we are not aware of. How long has it been since your onset?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nearly a month or a little longer but the T has gotten worse since yesterday night. I went to the hospital and they did nothing for me.

18. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Yes, a lot! As I didn't know how my T behaved back then (like how spikes works, reactive T etc), everything scared me to death. Usually, my T is OK in the morning, ramps up after lunch and afternoon and gets better towards the night. Before I learned this, the spikes in the afternoon would scare me but now I know what is "normal" for me and what is unusual. Like how the week before and during periods are bad because my T get worse from the hormones and that bad sleeping habits also makes it feels worse. The first months was both an emotional and hearing rollercoaster, it was up and down and feeling anxious made the whole thing worse. Don't worry about the fluctuations, it is normal :)

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Fangen I'm just worried in general that the T will get worse in my other ear. ;-; What can I do to stop that from happening?

20. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      Do you go to school? I suggest that at school in loud environments you should wear earplugs for example school canteen's are really loud. I would also not be on the noisy hallways for a few days and listen if your T has got better. :)

21. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Taylorslay This is my second year of T and when summer brake ended I have been staying in a quiet class room everyday. My T always is louder when I get home, but after a couple of hours it goes to the basic level. Except now my T is much louder because there was really loud music playing on the hallway. :(

22. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T was really loud when I first got it. After about 1 month it got quieter. I played basket ball at the same time and had practice 3 times a week this maybe a reason why my ears never healed.
      I am sure that after few weeks your T will get much quieter. Take care of yourself and try not to expose yourself to loud sounds. :)

23. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      If i were you i wouldn't wait more. I would go to the doctor asap and try a course of steroids. I would also opt for HBOT treatment. However in your current time mark, those treatments have poor prognosis, BUT:
      1) everyone's body is different, 2) you are super young so you have higher healing capabilities and 3) you don't have anything to loose. Worrying about it isn't gonna change anything. I know that this phrase has become a cliché in this forum and you will still keep worrying, so for now prioritise your medical appointments.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @vermillion I asked my parents and all they did was yell at me and say it was anxiety. That there was nothing they can do till the appointment.

25. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Anxiety/stress can make tinnitus worst, when everything else remains equal. Even if you don't listen to the loud music or be in that environment. Stress/anxiety can lead to spikes and it's horrible. I hope you feel better.....

26. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I am sorry to hear this.

27. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My tinnitus has gotten worse for no reason at all as well. I don't know why, but I think it may be because I have been exposed to loud noises in between stages where I could have been recovering (and I'm still exposed to loud noises inadvertently, whenever I go outside.) I agree, there really needs to be a cure for this condition T_T Hopefully, a cure will be found soon. And my parents thought it just "anxiety" at first as well, and I convinced myself it was just because of that and it was so faint that I didn't realize I had it until two years had passed.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @butterfly75 What are all the stages of healing? How long does it take to heal so I know I won't do the same anymore.

29. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've read before that it can take 6 months to a year to heal. But I've read stories of tinnitus disappearing after longer periods of time so don't lose hope.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @butterfly75 Disappearing after they had acoustic trauma?