Would Love Some Reassurance...

Discussion in 'Support' started by pixiebelle, Jul 22, 2018.

1. pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Hi there, I am a tinnitus veteran of a few years now and I had learnt how to manage it. However I have just had some surgery whilst I'm recovery I listened to audiobooks for first time ever through headphones (in ear).

It seems to have driven my tinnitus to crazy levels and I'm really struggling. In reading the forums the outlook seems bleak, can anyone reassure me that the levels may eventually go back to something manageable even after several hours of headphone use? I'm really beating myself up for this mistake as I'm usually so careful. Some hopeful news would be welcome, best wishes pixie

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      @pixiebelle welcome! You may just be going through a temporary spike that will settle down with time back to your baseline.

Honestly these forums can be a double edge sword for people. Keep in mind that people that tend to have their T resolve do not necessarily hang out on forums talking about things that used to have a negative life impact.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Thanks for getting back to me, my concern was that the news about headphones on the forums seemed pretty bad. I would love to hear about anyone who had a similar spike from headphones that then returned to normal. Thanks again for welcoming me as it really helps to talk to others going through the same thing...

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @pixiebelle

I am sorry to hear about the increase in your tinnitus but unfortunately, your case is one that I often read about in tinnitus forums. It is for this reason I vehemently appose the use of headphones even at low volume for people with tinnitus, that was originally caused by "loud noise" noise trauma to the ears and auditory system. Some people believe that using headphones at low volume will cause no harm for people with "noise induced" tinnitus. This is true for some people. However, for many this is not the case and often find themselves in a situation similar to yours.

I advise you not to use headphones ever again even at low volume.
      Hope you start to feel better soon.

All the best
      Michael

PS: even when the tinnitus wasn't originally caused by loud noise, I advise caution when using headphones even at low volume and I believe, it would be better not use them at all.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      I will never use headphones again, I only resorted to headphones as hospital would not let me use any form of ambient sound without headphones is there any hope I can get back to a better level?

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It depends on a few things @pixiebelle How long has your tinnitus been this way: spiked/increased from it's previous level before you went into hospital?

7. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      What type of surgery did you undergo? How soon after the surgery did your tinnitus increase?

Anesthesia and antibiotics used during surgery can temporarily or permanently impact tinnitus. It may not be the headphones alone that contributed. Do you have a list of all medications used during the procedure?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      About 7 days

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      I was given local and general anaesthetic, ibuprofen drip, then paracetamol and ibuprofen tablets and at one point a form of morphine for pain management

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Probably also antibiotics

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Had a severe allergic reaction to anaesthetic also, but then eventually left system. At the mo my ears are making 'cracking' / popping noises inside also

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      The operation was called a myomectomy, it's supposed to be fairly routine

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Should I have used a sound pillow? Unfortunately mine had broken, or are they just as bad?

14. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      All of those medications could have contributed. Tinnitus is a possible side effect for some of the medications you listed, and some antibiotics are ototoxic. A severe allergic reaction would also wreak havoc on your body.

I am not saying headphones did not impact your tinnitus, but you should not overlook that the medications and recovery of an abdominal surgery is also a very likely cause.

To clarify, was your surgery a week ago?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is true that some medications can increase tinnitus @pixiebelle and this can be temporary. They can increase it and it stays this way permanently. Some people say ibuprofen can cause tinnitus to increase and this may indeed be true. The leaflet that accompanies my blood pressure medicine reads: can cause ringing in the ears. It hasn't affected me in the slightest. I advise you not to go searching Google for information on medications that you have taken which might affect your tinnitus. Often this will cause stress, panic and fear and result in making your tinnitus worse as you'll focus on it more.

My money is on the headphones. Those in-ear type buds fit up close to the eardrum not ideal for someone with tinnitus. Try to calm down and start using "sound therapy" during the day and especially at night. Go back to basics. Please click on the links below and read my posts. Hopefully in time your stress will reduce and this will have a beneficial effect on the tinnitus. I say again and advise you strongly, please do not go searching medications that you have taken to see if they're linked to tinnitus as this will do you no good.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/a-change-of-lifestyle.20643/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-negative-counselling.26669/

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Yes surgery a week ago

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sound pillows are okay. For now if it's possible use a sound machine at night placed by your bedside . You could download nature sounds to your mobile phone and Bluetooth it to a speaker or if you have a phone docking station with speakers this will suffice . Using a mobile phone on its own is not best for sound enrichment. More information is in my post: Tinnitus, A Personal View:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

19. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      So still early days — though I realize even one day with louder tinnitus is agony.

Try to give it time. It can take a week or more for medications administered during surgery to be fully eliminated from the body.

In the meantime, try not to dwell on it. Using sound enrichment in your home; I use a great wireless speaker paired with a tinnitus sound app.

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Most spikes are temporary spikes (few become permanent). Temporary spikes can last a surprisingly long time:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/head-movement-spikes-tinnitus.25179/#post-290614
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-do-your-tinnitus-spikes-usually-last.23110/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-was-your-longest-spike.22099/

When you get a spike, it is natural to panic and assume the worst. My advice is to wait three months or so. If the spike is still there, as loud as ever, at that point you might start worrying about this spike being permanent.

• Like Like x 2
    21. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      How long have you been listening to headphones for before you noticed a spike?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      On and off 6 hours as was in for 2 days recovery. Was an audiobook ( fairly gentle) and thought was not too loud but I had a fan on near me so may not have realised how loud it was

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      So cross with myself

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try not to be cross with yourself @pixiebelle If it is the headphones that has caused the spike and I believe it is, then it's not your fault as you didn't know this could happen even though you kept the volume low. The people that should feel cross are the one's that have been forewarned about the risks of headphone use with tinnitus and dismiss it as nonsense. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that contact me after months of habituation even years, and go back to headphone use and find their tinnitus increases then are angry with themselves and full of regret.

Your tinnitus will most probably return to it's previous level in time....

Headphones and Tinnitus.

The views on whether a person with tinnitus should listen to music through headphones are controversial. Some people show no adverse affects while others do even when the volume level is kept low.

As I have already mentioned we are all different so the only way a one can know is to experiment for themselves if they want to. In my opinion, when the tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise/music and it has become intrusive - by this I mean a person having to seek help at ENT, then they shouldn’t listen to music through headphones no matter how low the volume is set.

Most music has syncopation throughout its frequency range, so it’s constantly changing in pitch, rhythm and timbre. The beat of the music and volume can also change while listening. This evokes pleasure and can stir our emotions. This happens whether we listen to music loud or soft, although certain types of music does sound better played at a higher volume than others, and vice versa.

Once the cochlea in the inner ear becomes affected by noise exposure, it is much more sensitive to sound. This is one of the reasons hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) is often experienced with noise-induced tinnitus. Someone that already has a sensitive auditory system due to noise-induced tinnitus and listens to music through headphones at a low volume, risks irritating the cochlea further, and this can make the tinnitus louder and more intrusive.

I believe it can be misleading when some health professionals tell tinnitus patients, listening to music through headphones is fine as long as long as the volume is kept low. These health professionals mean well and know a lot about the anatomy of the ear . However, many of them have never experienced intrusive tinnitus. I have spoken to people and corresponded with them by email and at Internet forums, complaining their tinnitus has become worse after listening to music through headphones even though the volume was kept low.

My advice to anyone that has tinnitus that was caused by exposure to loud noise is not to listen to music through headphones, as the auditory system is more sensitive but the choice is entirely up to them. Even if the tinnitus wasn't caused by noise trauma, I still advise caution when using headphones and believe, it would be best not to use them at all.

Michael

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Thanks for this, any of those habituate after headphone use?

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      It feels very irritated and inflamed I'm hoping eventually it may subside as the inflammation reduces

27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have not used headphones since the tinnitus spiked? If this is so, then give it time and use sound enrichment as I've mentioned in my posts and you will habituate again. Try not to worry over this. Take your time and read through my posts in the links that I gave you, particularly the ones on positivity.

Michael

28. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      When did you notice the spike? (relative to the 6 hours of listening)

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Directly after I noticed it

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since: