Youngsters and Loud Music...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lorenzo74, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi All…

I have been off the board for a couple of weeks as I didn't have internet, so I would like to start this post by wishing everyone in here a Happy New Year and hope it will bring all of us a bit of silence and relief…

I was holidaying with some friends which have kids aged between 7-13 (I have no kids of my own), and I was shocked and scared to see them constantly blasting loud music out of their headphones of I-pods/tablets…

I tried explaining them the possible danger they may put themselves through by keeping such loud music so long, but they surely looked at me as a weirdo… I spoke with their parents too but I felt I sounded like patronizing them all…

So my question would be… Should I or should I not point out the dangers of loud music to people which put themselves in dangerous T situations ?
      I am really scared for kids and teenagers to go through what I and most of you have or had gone through, but is it right or wrong to point it out ?

Maybe I just scare them by mentioning it or make them think about it and that would be wrong, but if I can help at least one person in avoiding having T then I would be happy…

Just wanted to see what other people's opinion is on this subject..

Best of luck to us all… Ciao!!

Lorenzo

2. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I think it's good that you mentioned it Lorenzo, but you're right, maybe going to the parents is a better idea. There is definitely a way to say it and inform them that is caring rather than patronizing. Take a stance of "this is what happened to me, and I didn't know, it isn't well known, but it's a real danger - I want to share this information with you so can share it with your children."

If you really want to make a differnce in a bigger way, you could try approaching local high schools and middle schools to have a spot to lecture in their health classes. When I was in high school they would have ex smokers etc. come in a talk to us about the importance of not doing x dangerous behaviour. They weren't medical experts, just people who had suffered and didn't want others to follow in their footsteps.

I think it's great you spoke up, don't stop! That's the only way we're going to accomplish anything for our community and for new generations. I wish someone had spoken up when I was younger, it would have saved me from T without question.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      All I heard when I was young was, "You're gonna go deaf." None of us kids believed it and I don't think the adults truly believed we'd actually go deaf from loud music. BUT, if someone, especially a musician, would have explained the horrors of tinnitus, at 13 years old I think I would have listened.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I was told not to listen to music at high levels a lot as a kid, didn't care. I think a lot of tinnitus is blamed on noise when in fact I think it is more to do with poor health and medications. I never had T or hearing loss with all those years of loud music as a kid, not to metion tons of concerts and clubs as a adult. Only until I got a blocked ear and took medications did I loose a lot of hearing. Up until 39 I had perfect hearing (even with all the years of noise) way up into the ultra high ranges. A few medications after a blocked ear and I lost it all at once...antibiotic ear drops and other meds and all of a sudden I'm half deaf. Makes you wonder.

Poor health (even poor mental health) or meds, or maybe a combo of both =T. I know people that have perfect health and go to clubs every day for years and nothing...and lots of them. Not one of my friends has heard of T. Where are all the pro athletes that are subject to yelling and statiums up to 160db or a regular basis? Show me a pro hockey player with T from all that noise for 15 years plus? Doesn't exsist! I can't find a single case. Not only this, but the noise of skating, taking slap shots is like a gun shot almost, pucks hitting the glass, team mates screaming in your ears, plus the crowd. Where are all the T sufferers in the NHL? Guess what, they are healthy athletes, they don't get T!! Period!

It's not noise exposure on it's own...it's noise plus either bad health or drugs (taken currently or in the past making you more suseptable). I wouldn't worry about noise on it's own personally. It's a nice convienient way to blame all the the T out there though. The drug companies must love it. I would warn about proper health to combat T if anything. Take a hard look the underlaying cause, it's not not noise, otherwise 80-90 percent of the population would have T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Very interesting point @Telis

Such a complex system the human body...

6. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I actually believe that you might just be onto something there @Telis , don't agree that it's the soul cause but I think you might be right for a great proportion of Tinnitus, maybe even 80 odd percent of it!

I know for a fact that mine was noise induced, I was quite noise sensitive for most of my pre Tinnitus life, so a super tinny stereo over three consecutive drunken Saturday nights was it for me!

But, then again I was a pot smoker for a couple of years from the age of 16, plus I even dabbled in inhaling when I was 15 so maybe the drugs did leave me susceptible, who would know? :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Oh I suppose I should at least say something on the topic as well.:)

@Lorenzo74 , You are doing the right thing in trying to warn as many kids as possible, I think for every 10 or so that tell you to F off, you will get the odd one who will listen, that at least should give you a sense of some sort of achievement.

I will keep warning as many as possible, It's up to them if they choose to listen or not!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I think @Telis was referring to prescription drugs rather than pot.. I don't think there are any correlations between pot and T…

Actually I believe pot helps me to relax and sleep when I need the most without using sleeping pills or anti-depressant prescription drugs since my T started…

But I think Telis has a very good point that I never really thought about.. I would always put it down to luck…

9. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yeah, I realized that, but that was the only thing I could relate to any kind of drug and I am not one that thinks pot doesn't do any harm at all, it's a mind stimulant there is no way you can take a drug that alters your sense's and think it's not doing any damage!, no matter how small!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I actually wouldn't leave pot out even though I love it and think it has a ton of great medical uses. I wouldn't leave alcohol out either, anything that affects the central nervous system and the brain. I would be less concerned about the two compared to prescription drugs but wouldn't leave them out as a factor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I guess I have to agree with both of you about the fact that pot can at times be a factor…

Then again a neurological doctor once told me that pot actually dilates vessels and that could actually help relieve T… (sorry for my english I probably haven't put this down in a comprehensible way…)

Furthermore, I might be wrong on this too but I feel I choose the lesser evil between pot and prescription drugs, as at times it can even give me a giggle and a break from T.. :)

• Like Like x 1
    12. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I 100 percent agree...I choose pot as well over prescription drugs...way safer alternative in my opinion but obviously nothing would be better, but hey, a guys got to have some kind of crutch with this shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      There is also the issue of too much limiting and compression in todays music.
      The ear has its own compressor and limiter and when listening to todays music at loud volumes the ear does not get any breathing space , no room to "bounce" as it were .
      Its sort of the equivelant to sending DC into a speaker , it will burn.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1