"Your Tinnitus Is a Mild Case and Mine Is Severe"

Discussion in 'Support' started by GeorgeLG, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      What is loud tinnitus?

1. It's loud when your ears detect sounds as high pitched vibrations.

2. It's loud when you can't hear anything, but the noise in your head.

3. It's loud, when you have no will power to leave your house. No job, no life.

If one with loud tinnitus can focus enough to type one meaningful paragraph, then you do have some coping methods, enough just for survival.

What number above really means that your tinnitus is loud? Number 2 -- and that means number 3 is no can do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      Thank you for offering your support.

George

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The volume of the tinnitus does affect how a person is able to cope with it and manage their life. I have corresponded with people that say their tinnitus is mild or moderate and still find it distressing.

My tinnitus is variable. When it is silent, mild or moderate, I am able to carry on with my daily tasks without any problem. This is not the case when the tinnitus reaches severe or acutely severe levels, as the noise is so intrusive it affects my ability to concentrate on reading, watching the television or writing. It can calm down by itself to mild, moderate or silent but there are times it doesn't. Fortunately 2x 0.5 mg of Clonazepam tablets reduces it to a more manageable level over 12 hours.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is very kind, thank you for bringing your hopefulness to this discussion.

George

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is from a man who endures great suffering and yet, when he can he comes here with grace, knowledge and compassion and does his very best to help people. Has the universe been unfair to @Greg Sacramento? At first glance one might say yes. Then you see him here using his limited energy in the service of others so that he can improve people’s lives and then this gives his suffering purpose. If there is anyone here who has the right to be angry it’s Greg and yet he shows grace.

Thank you Greg for all that you do. These are the examples that have given me my strength and perseverance.

George

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Perhaps the point is there is a continuum of grades of tinnitus. Clearly for several on Tinnitus Talk, it is so bad they can’t function. And we’ve had enough suicides to know that. Mine has gotten much worse. It is higher pitched, it can’t be masked and fluctuates. Sometimes I feel like there’s literally a table saw going on in my head. And it is not stable at all. It’s so much harder to deal with than I when I had the type I could mask.

However, there are also people who would describe their tinnitus as quite horrendous who are able to function. That doesn’t make the people who can’t wrong or bad it just means that they are struggling.

Conversely some only hear it in a quiet room are still very freaked out by it and find it difficult to deal with. It doesn’t make them wrong either or undeserving of support.

I prefer the positivity. What other choice do I have?

So I guess all in all if someone tries to spread some positivity then let them. You don’t have to agree with it. And you don’t have to comment on it.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well said.

George

8. Marcuso22

Marcuso22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud prolonged exposure to alarm system
      Very interesting thread. Tinnitus, hyperacusis, noxacusis, phonophobia, etc... all these conditions are not well understood by the medical & health professionals.

Today there is a small percentage of audiologists & researchers that are taking more interest in these debilitating conditions. It's important that us living with these conditions spread the word as much as possible to others so one day we can get to point that anyone even in small communities can quickly get good advice & 'treatment' & support when they end up with one or all of these conditions. If you're bold enough you may even want to suggest to others to donate to tinnitus causes. We have to be aware of negative counselling from any health professional, & call them out on it when it happens.

We are so much more fortunate than those that came before us with this/these condition(s) back in the day's when the internet didn't exist. Not only do we have forums like these to share our stories with each other but we can also research studies, find professionals who 'treat' these conditions, & watch videos or have live local community meetings on the subject. And of course more importantly try keep our minds off it by reading & watching videos on what ever interests us.

This is a very challenging condition to cope with. The challenge is not just the loudness & intrusiveness of the sounds we hear but also the psychological aspect that is intertwined with it. This is what makes it so difficult to deal with especially at the very onset of getting chronic/acute tinnitus. If it affects your daily life where you feel you can't work & you find remedial tasks challenging then this is obviously going to have an impact on your mental health. This is obviously true for all chronic conditions. If you suffer with other chronic ailments then that only piles on the challenges which we will have to face on a daily basis.

But we shouldn't underestimate our abilities to overcome some of these challenges hopefully to point where we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It may seem like an order of herculean proportions but it's really amazing what our brains can handle if we would just give it the respect it deserves with doing our best to limit negative thinking & increase positive attitude. That's key for neuroplasticity which I believe does exist. So we need to do our best to take advantage of that. As the Andrews sisters song goes, Accentuate the positive, Eliminate the negative. That's a little crude but it gets the message across. And believe me I know how difficult that can be on a daily basis. Stress isn't easy to deal with, especially if you're in a situation like mine where you're not working & your piggybank savings are shrinking daily. Nobody asked for this wretched condition & nobody wants it. But now that we have it we owe it to ourselves to give 110% our best efforts to find way's to manage & cope with it. It's our new life's challenge. It's a daily roller-coaster ride which we need to unfortunately accept for the time being. It may feel like a curse & each day a Sisyphean task but it's going to boil down to will power & finding something of worth in the world that makes us appreciate we are still alive & able to experience something we find beauty in. That can be something as simple as a beautiful sunny day or taking in the sunset.

Wishing everyone the best on this crazy adventure.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most chronic ailments are painful.

10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wonder why in my county of 1.6 million, that tinnitus caused from noise is only 50%, when we have so many firecrackers and fireworks in the streets. Tinnitus related to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction is very high, allergies, neck and jaw is fairly high, second COVID-19 booster suspicion, elderly medication use is high and Lyme disease has dropped.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe that the hearing system has protection mechanisms for loud noises that functions well in most people which is why a fireworks display does not give every participant tinnitus and in the general population, 80% or more do not have tinnitus. For some people they become susceptible when there is a deficiency like glutathione from stress, diet, etc or there may be a genetic predisposition or damage to a system that is not 100% perfect in function like the TTM reflex. That’s why they are studying giving soldiers NAC to boost their glutathione stores so that 4 years of munitions detonation does not harm the susceptible ones. IOW proactively make sure that everyone gets their “antioxidant booster” if you will. Maybe the new food pyramid could be 4 serving of vegetables and 200 mg of NAC every day, especially if you’re going to the racetrack or a fireworks celebration.

This TTM example references age but I believe that for some younger people this mechanism does not work as well as it could:

D7C844B2-603B-4889-B5E5-8A8BA3394D98.png

George

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GeorgeLG, thanks for your reply and I agree with your thoughts, but then abductive reasoning gets in my way.

Abductive reasoning uses all available information, even if it’s incomplete, to determine the most likely outcome or an educated guess. While it uses the information of thought, it’s usually not enough to make a fully informed, certain conclusion. Deductive thought uses only information assumed to be accurate. It does not include emotions, feelings, or assumptions without evidence of personnal experience. Personal experience - knowing that loud tinnitus and severe pain must be experienced to fully understand - realism. Deductive thought uses only information assumed to be accurate. It does not include emotions, feelings, pain, distress - or assumptions without evidence, and as evidence being personal experience. It's just difficult to use abductive reasoning with overcoming a personal challenge.

National average statistics and for most counties with the same demographic profile as mine, noise induced tinnitus is higher there. In my county, all healthcare must report cause or suspicion of tinnitus and half the time a physical cause is reported. Tinnitus reporting by healthcare or questionnaire in my county is not higher than any other community or state. Noise reports as disturbance in my county is much higher than other counties or cities with comparable data.

In my county, there's a high risk when being outdoors of being blasted with a loud illegal firecracker. Our county has six neighborhood chat lines that cover the entire county of 1.6 million residents. All day and night, there is reporting of loud firecrackers, loud fireworks, firecrackers being placed in street drains causing explosions that can be heard for miles. Gunshots. Police can't handle the number of calls for this and often never send a patrol car to investigate.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      I have lived with tinnitus since 2014. I thought it was bad, it made me sad and depressed. 2 years later I forgot about it. It never bothered me. I had one good ear with hearing loss and no tinnitus. I could sleep and focus.

This year it got worse. It started in both ears. I started hearing multiple tones. I thought I had it bad.

Well an audiologist's test made it even louder. Now I have multiple reactive screeching tones in the left ear on top of my old mild tinnitus. I got pain hyperacusis.

I didn't even know it could get this bad. I know it can get even worse because when it spikes, it gets even louder, the reactive tone goes super loud to fans and AC but I use the AC to mask the rest of the tones. It's crazy.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @GeorgeLG, I said it before, and I'll say it again - your input and thoughts are very much appreciated on this forum. It's always refreshing to read your posts.

Hope you continue to stick around.

Thanks for sharing!

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MindOverMatter, thank you.

George

• Genius Genius x 1
    16. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ben Haziri, is something you see here funny to you, buddy?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Since this thread has surfaced again, and after reading all comments once again, my heart goes out to all who have experienced trauma.

"The conflict between the will to deny horrible events and the will to proclaim them aloud is the central dialectic of psychological trauma" — Judith Herman​

Emotions are not logical, and thinking about emotions, or even the reason for the emotions, don’t always lower the intensity of the emotional response.

The Polyvagal Theory: Neurophysiological Foundations of Emotions, Attachment, Communication, and Self-Regulation, Stephen describes what happens to the social engagement system of trauma survivors.

Trauma can turn off the social engagement system. Attempts to engage a person with trauma history, may trigger defensive and aggressive behaviors.

Many caregivers that work in trauma hospitals fear going to the dentist, but they often tell patients they need dental work. Often those with fear, will give others advice to overcome the same fears.

With conductive hearing loss, there is always hope for treatment.

I have hearing loss that's off the charts and 10/10 tinnitus - as loud as a gas lawn mover or leaf blower. The nerves in my ears contain plaque. Benfotiamine with thioctic acid sometimes helps to lower my tinnitus by a slight amount. What helps a slight bit more - is compression stockings by slowing down my blood flow nerve trauma.

Thinking about trying a harmless and safe treatment for better sleep, such as using a strip of a laparotomy sponge behind lower front teeth with three inches overhang on each side of mouth - may be better for some with tinnitus, than counseling.

The number one cause of a somatic spike is pressure to nerves at the brainstem. Often the atlas is slightly unbalanced. Sleeping on back and forward head posture shouldn't be done.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Does sleeping on your back increase the pressure on nerves in the brain stem? So the recommendation is to sleep on my side? My hip gets rather uncomfortable if I'm on my side for too long...

19. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I don't have hip problems, but I find laying on my side much more comfortable putting a pillow between the legs. Have you tried that?

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reminder @Lane! It's been a while since I've been sleeping on my side, I forgot this tip. I'll give it a shot tonight. BTW, I slept on my side last night despite the hip discomfort, and I woke up to a good day today :D

• Like Like x 2
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wonderful.

George

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As good as back sleeping is for spinal alignment, it isn’t the best position for those who get occipital nerve tinnitus spiking flare-ups. If one has neck muscle problems, figure out what positions are best for neck pain and tinnitus spikes.

Side sleeping has some interesting health benefits for those with tinnitus. During the day, your brain creates waste proteins. These proteins build up and clog the tiny interstitial spaces in the brain. While you sleep, the glymphatic system removes these toxic proteins. The cleansing process causes brain cells to shrink, which opens those tiny spaces so spinal fluid can flush through. This system works 24 hours a day, but it’s 90 percent more active while you’re asleep.

Right side sleeping is best for all with tinnitus, unless spinal alignment is off. Sleeping on the left side isn’t necessarily bad, it’s just not as healthy as sleeping on the right side.

For those with conductive hearing loss tinnitus, sleeping more on right side is better.

For those where emotions cause tinnitus flare-ups, sleeping more on right side is better.

Most important for those with tinnitus - for those having difficulties adjusting to tinntitus:
      • For the first hour after getting up, avoid emotional upset.
      • Avoid emotional upset when tired.
      • Introduce to noise slowly for one hour after getting up.
      • Use good posture - always, but most importantly for one hour after getting up and later in the day/evening when tired.
      • Drink some water during the day and always hydrate - one to two hours before going to sleep.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    23. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fantastic advice @Greg Sacramento, thanks so much for spending the time to explain all this. I have suspected that something is happening to me during sleep when my brain is removing toxins. Your advice really stitches it all together for me. I wanted to tell you that I have detected, over the past several months, a correlation with which side I sleep on and whether I have a bad day the next day. And, guess what, if I sleep on my right side, it's correlated with having a good day, and sleeping on my left side is correlated with having a bad day.

Another thing I've noticed is this: On days I wake up and my tinnitus is present, if I lay on my right side for about 1/2 hour with my arms laid out in front of me, I can sometimes cause my tinnitus to go away.

I'll follow your advice to the tee. I'm especially bad at staying hydrated, so that's one thing I'll focus on a whole lot more. Is there anything else one can do to promote a better glymphatic system?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    25. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @Greg Sacramento, that was an informative read. I'll follow your advice and the advice in the article. It did leave me wondering how they got rats to sleep on one side or another. Also, it's interesting that they used rats to draw these conclusions. I suppose there's enough similarity between rats and humans to do so :)