Zebrafish Research

Discussion in 'Research News' started by joe, Apr 30, 2012.

1. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
    2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    3. David King
      Balanced

David King Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2011
      They seriously need to tell me which two drugs increased the hair cell regeneration rate! I wouldn't do anything irresponsible :cautious:

4. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      Joe...thanks for the link

im with david ...would sure love to know the names of the compounds

i suspect we know one...Retinoblastoma protein (pRb)

check this article out....very techy but just the last paragraph under the discussion section makes it all worth while

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1450112/

"Is it possible to regenerate functional hair cells by manipulating the pRb pathway? Permanent deletion of Rb is not optimal because it causes cell loss and hair bundle abnormalities. However, the effects of transient and reversible block of pRb function in mature hair cells are not known. Knockdown of pRb function with short hairpin RNA in cultured cells resulted in increased proliferation and failure of contact inhibition (P.W.H., unpublished data). Proliferation was subsequently blocked and contact inhibition was reestablished upon reexpression of Rb after degradation of short hairpin RNA. Similar manipulations may allow cell-cycle reentry of hair cells, and the subsequent return of pRb function may lead to expression of maturation genes (such as prestin) and inhibition of apoptosis. In the vestibular system many hair cells lacking pRb continued to divide up to 6 weeks, survived for 6 months, and remained functional at both the cellular and system levels. Therefore, temporary block of pRb function in vestibular hair cells may lead to regeneration for recovery of vestibular function."

unfortunately, losts of research needed before scientists know how to use drug therapy to re grow stereo cillia

best wishes
      mock turtle