Zyrtec Makes Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rina, Mar 16, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Rina

Rina Member

florida, USA
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      I was prescribed Zyrtec for fluid in the ears . I read Zyrtec is not good and a side effect might be tinnitus... Should I take it? Will the fluid clear by itself?
    2. erik

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Washington State, USA
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hi Rina....I take Zyrtec occasionally for allergies and it doesn't really make my T any worse. You will find tinnitus is a side effect for almost every prescription and non-prescription drug. In response to your 2nd questions, yes it will most likely clear up on its own as do most conditions however, taking a med for it is supposed to speed up the process by helping to dry up the fluid.
    3. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Around September I had fluid in the ears and that made my tinnitus go through the roof. Well, it turned out that the fluid was because of allergies, so my doctor prescribed me Zyrtec and Benedryl and in a matter of days my ringing went back down to base-line. So take that for what it's worth.
    4. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

US, NC (the progressive part :) )!
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      I'm actually glad someone else posted that tinnitus is likely a side-effect of many drugs and Zyrtec may be one of them. I said I was unique in another thread due to surgeries. So, this is probably unique as well. I used to take
      it but the side-effect of it was it literally knocked me out (to the floor). Once was enough. For me, it was the absolute worst "allergy" med out there. I'd classify this under "not good." I wonder what it was used for prior to becoming an allergy med and ultimately, it doesn't matter.
    5. Coansha

Coansha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Briana can I ask how long it took after you stopped taking it for it to improve?
      I've only just realised the connection between my normally minimal tinnitus and the horrific increase in the past 2 weeks..deafening and dreadfully alienating.
      I used to take Loratadine but swapped ...bad tummy too.