10% of Women Who Suffer Constant Ringing in Their Ears Attempt Suicide, Study Suggests

Discussion in 'Research News' started by attheedgeofscience, May 5, 2019.

1. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      • The number of suicide attempts was higher among participants with any tinnitus (multivariate OR, 1.15; 95% CI, 1.03-1.28) and among those with severe tinnitus (OR, 1.32; 95% CI, 1.04-1.66) (Table 2). This association was not observed for those with a formal diagnosis of tinnitus (OR, 0.92; 95% CI, 0.67-1.26).
      What does "formal diagnosis" mean? Because a German ENT network is using this study to promote a German CBT app for tinnitus by saying that only people with untreated tinnitus had an increased risk for suicide attempts.

Also, really sorry to hear that the journalist did such a poor job! I saw you explaining this on Twitter as well. Thank you for coming to Tinnitus Talk and for taking time out of your day to clarify things and answer questions!

(A bit off-topic: They only have a small account on Twitter and their outreach probably isn't significant but I need better scientific evidence to show that we, in fact, need medical treatments. And right now it seems like it's 1:0 for them.)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      It probably means a doctor has entered an ICD-10 code of H93.13 into your patient record which means tinnitus.

@CederrothCr am I correct?

3. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      @Agrajag364, thank-you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Did you know that 100% of people that commit suicide die?

5. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      How do I agree with this post 100 more times?

• Like Like x 2
    6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Thank you for offering to discuss this on Tinnitus Talk.

@CederrothCr are you personally aware of any number of suicides related to the tinnitus distress?

I am personally aware of three cases. Two of which were friends in counseling with me. Both were men. One was taken to the brink of homeless because he lost everything financially. He was poor. He was very intelligent and compassionate. The other was a very wealthy business man with a wife and two small kids. He lost nothing financially. He lost the ability to think and was taken down because of tinnitus.

The other was a policeman. I did not know personally. But, I contacted the publisher of his death by shotgun behind his shed and put him in contact with a tinnitus expert who was a part of a follow-up article.

In each case tinnitus was given little attention. The reasons were always because of depression or mental instability.

The statistic are there. But, few or if any state tinnitus as a cause. If it is written the claims are always to destroy any aspect of tinnitus as a cause for various reasons.

I am glad this was published also.

@Clint Azzopardi I understand your point. There is such a fine line dealing with this subject and I have yet to find a way to discuss it honestly and openly without worrying about the fear factor for newer members.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Another unhelpful article.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Frédéric Never thought I'd say this but I think you are sadistic.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Why?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    11. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Ken219: sorry, there must be a mistake. I do not intend to be sadistic at all. I scan the internet daily to collect all scientific articles about tinnitus. I just relay them without self-censorship to inform all members of this forum.

• Like Like x 5
    12. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      • From the Daily Mail article:
        • About 15% of Americans - more than 50 million people - experience some form of tinnitus and two million have severe cases
        • Of the nearly 900 women in the study who had severe tinnitus, about 10% reported that they attempted to commit suicide
        • Getting diagnosed and treated could decrease suicide risk, researchers say
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      How many women are at risk for suicide in America, due to tinnitus? Is there any data regarding male vs. female tinnitus rates, and severity differences if any?

From the ATA website:

Males get tinnitus more often than females
      This disparity may be attributable to males being more represented in the workforce, particularly in loud professions such as manufacturing, construction, and military service. Men are also more likely to participate in high hearing-risk behavior, such as hunting and motorsports.

13. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I was in that 10%.

• Hug Hug x 6
    14. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I suggest using a filter. Report on scientific articles that gives hope!

15. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Personally, I think articles and studies showing the severe side of tinnitus are needed to show how much of an impact tinnitus can have on someone and that there’s a dire need for medical treatments.

• Agree Agree x 6
    16. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Not helpful on a forum.

Ask yourself - is this accurate? Is this helpful to someone who’s struggling?
      If the answer to either one is a “no” then no need to post.

Has its place in awareness raising but no place on the forum. I’d be interested to see all of you post this on your social media, because that would be more useful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I have to very kindly disagree. Suicide statistics, studies about suicidal ideation, etc, are part of the tinnitus spectrum and shouldn't be hidden away.

Tinnitus Talk is also about more than just support; we raise awareness of the condition, collaborate with researchers, raise funding for research (Daniel Ballinger Fund, for example).

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Maybe we can speak about this article itself and share our opinions. Mine is:

I would not say that this article is completely unhelpful, it is a systematic review from the keywords "tinnitus" and "suicide". It has the merit of existing, just to take stock of this correlation, and to maintain awareness on our disease that remains a real torture in everyday life.

Do you think this subject of suicide should remain taboo?

Then what do you think about the interview with Gaby Olthuis's mom?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      So if I went to an ENT that I felt was incompetent I should inform the 'Tinnitus Talk' community?

There should be a category of bad doctors? Only an opinion:
      Mark Shikowitz

20. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I think it's helpful, so it's not a clear "no" for me. Obviously it's a difficult topic as it could especially affect people new to tinnitus but I don't think that hiding the severe side will help either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    21. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Ken219 : It is already the case, many members reported their own (bad) experience on this forum (in the "support" or "introduce yourself" sections) with their ENT or Audiologist (some of them gave her/his name).

22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is accurate.

If the forum would contain links to only the "feel-good" material, then the forum would be biased, and hence useless.

If you want "feel-good" fake material, I can send messages to you every day stating that you will be ok and that your tinnitus will be gone soon (no matter what your symptoms are or what I actually think). If that wouldn't be helpful then the self-censorship that you had suggested would also not work well.

• Agree Agree x 4
    23. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Would you do that for me? I could use some good words. I'll be checking my conversation! Bill you are the best!

24. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I was just reminded of a tinnitus research study cutely abbreviated as STOP (Swedish Tinnitus Outreach Project). I was part of this study actually. I did the questionnaire but they never called me in to do any of the tests people are talking about. But now that I visited the website after 2 years, I found this...

https://stop.ki.se/2019/05/25/1106/

Published in JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery:
      https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaotolaryngology/fullarticle/2732497

A research paper on suicide "attempts" in relation to tinnitus... with a sex twist!
      :dohanimation:

Hello Sweden! Why does everything have to be about the sexes in Sweden? :D You wouldn't believe it! There is not a single public debate in this country that is not viewed through the lens of gender equality (or rather "inequality").

So this is where the research money is spent? On sex studies! Where else but in Sweden!? :rolleyes: I can't say I'm surprised by this.

"In the present study, we assessed whether this association would differ between men and women using data from a large population-based study, the Stockholm Public Health Cohort (SPHC)."

Should I feel lucky that I'm a guy? "Stockholm Public Health Cohort" Some big words there! And there is always a cute little abbreviation or acronym. Just because you have access to a large (public) data set doesn't mean you actually understand something at a low level. Anyone can punch in a few numbers and keywords in a computer. (Just ask Google! They know. They might even show you how it's done.) Understanding what the data means and discerning the truth without letting your personal or political views cloud your judgement... see that's the hard part.

I find this embarrassing. This is just toying with data.

Tinnitus or no tinnitus, regardless! Have a good hard look at the world population and you will find that the majority of suicides are committed by men! The ratio between men and women is 1.8 to 1.0 according to Wikipedia, based on WHO data from 2008. The rate of women who commit suicide are only now starting to catch up... gee, I wonder why though...

Here is a recent BBC article on the topic.
      https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190313-why-more-men-kill-themselves-than-women

Here is some statistics from the Public Health Agency of Sweden.
      https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/suicidprevention/statistik-om-suicid/

In 2018 alone, 1268 people committed suicide in Sweden, out of which 886 were men and 382 were women.

I don't like discussing suicide any more than any of you do, but if these guys are serious about helping highlight the problem of suicide within the tinnitus community, they should at least do their job and properly and investigate the suicides committed, not "attempted".

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Chriscom

Chriscom Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely infection/ear stress after walking pneumonia
      I haven't looked closely at stats like these for years, but as I recall it's long been true that men as group "successfully" commit suicide at higher rates than women, while women attempt suicide more frequently. And yes women have been closing the gap in completed suicides at least in Western countries.

Personally I see no problem with investigating sex-based differences in all kinds of health issues since it can help target treatment and interventions--because there are such differences. But I'm not familiar with that study and am very happy to say I won't be. Peace to all, the goal is to have treatment and cures for all.

26. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Let's not forget that men often take more risks in life, they are opportunists, they take on tasks they cannot handle which leads to stress, which leads to mental illness and so on. It's not all that great to be a man! ;) What I'm trying to say here is that if women want to more equal to men then they will have to start carrying the load as well. Yes, that means taking responsibility, being more opportunistic, reckless even, and stressed out.

There are differences between men and women, and likewise there are differences within each group. In terms of medicine, personalized medicine is the way to go. Where each patient gets a customized treatment, individually tuned to their own biology.

I didn't mean this to turn into a gender discussion. But that's how this paper is presented, so I guess it's unavoidable. Let it be noted that I am for equality of opportunity for men and women. But I am not for equality of outcome, just for the sake of being equal. Sweden is a perfect example of equality of outcome, where girls are now being taught to play with cars and other boy toys, in hopes that the outcome of this will be that they become an electrical engineer one day. Boys on the other hand are taught to play with dolls, in hopes that the outcome will be a boy with a more sensitive side, who may one day become a nurse. You can't force someone to be something they are not, and expect them to enjoy it too.

I want that too! That's why I think we need to stop with these shallow studies and start doing some real science.

27. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I don’t want to hunt through this thread for an answer. Can anyone tell me if they have a number for men?

28. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yes, the study looked at men and women, the title of the article just doesn't make that clear.

Sex-Specific Association of Tinnitus With Suicide Attempts
      Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 18.11.37.png

29. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Sex Differences in the Response to Different Tinnitus Treatment

Introduction: Tinnitus is a complex symptom requiring a thorough multidisciplinary assessment to construct an individual’s tinnitus profile. The Antwerp University Hospital hosts a tertiary tinnitus clinic providing intensive, multidisciplinary tinnitus care in the form of combinational psychological treatment with either Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT)/Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) or TRT/eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR), high-definition transcranial direct current stimulation (HD-tDCS), and physical therapy treatment (in cases of somatic influence of the neck or the temporomandibular area). Several factors may contribute to therapy effect of which the role of gender has recently gained more interest. As such, the current manuscript explores gender differences in the outcome of different tinnitus treatments.

Methods:
      Data on treatment outcome of four distinct tinnitus treatments (1. HD-tDCS; 2. orofacial physical therapy; 3. combination TRT + CBT; and 4. combination TRT + EMDR) were pooled and compared. Treatment outcome was assessed via the Tinnitus Functional Index (TFI). Participants completed the TFI at baseline, immediately after treatment and after 9 weeks (±3 weeks) follow-up. To explore the effect of gender on different treatment outcomes, a linear mixed model was designed including Time point, Gender, and Therapy Group as fixed factors as well as all interactions between these factors.

Results:
      TFI scores improved significantly over time regardless of therapy group (p < 0.0001). A mean TFI decrease of at least 13 points was obtained by all participants except by those in the HD-tDCS. Significant interactions between Gender and Time point were identified in all groups except for the TRT +EMDR group. Female subjects improved more extensively than males in the HD-tDCS (p = 0.0009) and orofacial therapy group (p = 0.0299). Contrarily, in the TRT +CBT group, male participants showed a significant improvement whereas the mean TFI scores of female subjects remained on baseline levels (p = 0.0138).

Conclusion: Our data suggest that male and female tinnitus patients seem to react differently to different therapy options. We strongly encourage further prospective studies to discern the relevance of gender in therapy outcome.

• Informative Informative x 3
    30. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I quickly read this article: I did not see anywhere the cause of tinnitus. It is a pity.