10% of Women Who Suffer Constant Ringing in Their Ears Attempt Suicide, Study Suggests

Discussion in 'Research News' started by attheedgeofscience, May 5, 2019.

1. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      July/August 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • The number of suicide attempts was higher among participants with any tinnitus (multivariate OR, 1.15; 95% CI, 1.03-1.28) and among those with severe tinnitus (OR, 1.32; 95% CI, 1.04-1.66) (Table 2). This association was not observed for those with a formal diagnosis of tinnitus (OR, 0.92; 95% CI, 0.67-1.26).
      What does "formal diagnosis" mean? Because a German ENT network is using this study to promote a German CBT app for tinnitus by saying that only people with untreated tinnitus had an increased risk for suicide attempts.

Also, really sorry to hear that the journalist did such a poor job! I saw you explaining this on Twitter as well. Thank you for coming to Tinnitus Talk and for taking time out of your day to clarify things and answer questions!

(A bit off-topic: They only have a small account on Twitter and their outreach probably isn't significant but I need better scientific evidence to show that we, in fact, need medical treatments. And right now it seems like it's 1:0 for them.)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. annV
      Fine

annV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      It probably means a doctor has entered an ICD-10 code of H93.13 into your patient record which means tinnitus.

@CederrothCr am I correct?

3. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      @Agrajag364, thank-you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. JohnAdams
      Starving

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Did you know that 100% of people that commit suicide die?

5. Tanni
      Heartbroken

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      How do I agree with this post 100 more times?

• Like Like x 2
    6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Thank you for offering to discuss this on Tinnitus Talk.

@CederrothCr are you personally aware of any number of suicides related to the tinnitus distress?

I am personally aware of three cases. Two of which were friends in counseling with me. Both were men. One was taken to the brink of homeless because he lost everything financially. He was poor. He was very intelligent and compassionate. The other was a very wealthy business man with a wife and two small kids. He lost nothing financially. He lost the ability to think and was taken down because of tinnitus.

The other was a policeman. I did not know personally. But, I contacted the publisher of his death by shotgun behind his shed and put him in contact with a tinnitus expert who was a part of a follow-up article.

In each case tinnitus was given little attention. The reasons were always because of depression or mental instability.

The statistic are there. But, few or if any state tinnitus as a cause. If it is written the claims are always to destroy any aspect of tinnitus as a cause for various reasons.

I am glad this was published also.

@Clint Azzopardi I understand your point. There is such a fine line dealing with this subject and I have yet to find a way to discuss it honestly and openly without worrying about the fear factor for newer members.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2