1st Post & Your App Has Saved My Sanity Many Times!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JudyP, Aug 16, 2015.

1. JudyP

JudyP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi - I've had tinnitus for a few yrs mildly on back burner then last winter I started noticing it louder & louder more annoying. Close to 7 months ago it spiked a high pitch. I thought it would go away but it didn't. It's never ever stopped for 1 second!! It does change tones however. It started more of a cicadas type, (from time to time this gets very loud) & another buzzing electrical loud type, the very worse is HIGH PITCHED solid tone, like a T pot or higher than a whistle.
      I've looked on Tinnitus Talk for months but I finally decided I must tell whomever came up with The app - especially Musical Neuromodulation - I THANK YOU! I've had suicidal thoughts & come to hear this tone that someone referred me to & it helps calm my brain somewhat for a bit. I have hearing aids & maskers. Not sure how much they help (sometimes)
      I still have to take a Xanax at night for sleep. I've tried Melatonin several times & stay awake. (Tell me which brand? I've always been such a light sleeper).
      I also need to know is there a "better" cholesterol med?
      Thank you for this board & excepting me. I pray we ALL find relief soon !

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Welcome JudyP,

@Steve is responsible for the audio tracks. He will be very happy to hear this.

Markku

• Like Like x 4
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Judy, and welcome!

To answer your questions:
      1. A melatonin brand - There isn't any particular one that is better than the others, but you might want to try a brand that has slow-release or timed-release. It will keep you asleep at night. Also, I've found that magnesium works to help with calming and with sleep. The brand I use is ALTA magnesium chloride tablets, available online.

2. A better cholesterol med - I don't take prescription meds for cholesterol. My doctor has instead approved for me to take red yeast rice. At my last checkup, my cholesterol was in the normal range! The brand I use is Now Red Yeast Rice, 600 mg. with COQ10. I've read that it can deplete COQ10 in the body, so taking this kind ensures that won't happen.

Hope this information helps!

Karen

• Like Like x 2
    4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/immortality-tea-jiaogulan.10469/

And

http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

• Like Like x 1
    5. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I've always found nature made 5 mg melatonin to knock me out. I take 10 mg a night.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi Judy and welcome,

Very glad to hear that the neuromodulation track helped you out. The audio player is not a well used section of the site so it's always good to know that it's helped people.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have some sour tart cherry powder. It's full of natural melatonin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22038497

Effect of tart cherry juice (Prunus cerasus) on melatonin levels and enhanced sleep quality.
      Howatson G1, Bell PG, Tallent J, Middleton B, McHugh MP, Ellis J.
      Author information

Abstract
      BACKGROUND:
      Tart Montmorency cherries have been reported to contain high levels of phytochemicals including melatonin, a molecule critical in regulating the sleep-wake cycle in humans.

PURPOSE:
      The aim of our investigation was to ascertain whether ingestion of a tart cherry juice concentrate would increase the urinary melatonin levels in healthy adults and improve sleep quality.

METHODS:
      In a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover design, 20 volunteers consumed either a placebo or tart cherry juice concentrate for 7 days. Measures of sleep quality recorded by actigraphy and subjective sleep questionnaires were completed. Sequential urine samples over 48 h were collected and urinary 6-sulfatoxymelatonin (major metabolite of melatonin) determined; cosinor analysis was used to determine melatonin circadian rhythm (mesor, acrophase and amplitude). In addition, total urinary melatonin content was determined over the sampled period. Trial differences were determined using a repeated measures ANOVA.

RESULTS:
      Total melatonin content was significantly elevated (P < 0.05) in the cherry juice group, whilst no differences were shown between baseline and placebo trials. There were significant increases in time in bed, total sleep time and sleep efficiency total (P < 0.05) with cherry juice supplementation. Although there was no difference in timing of the melatonin circardian rhythm, there was a trend to a higher mesor and amplitude.

CONCLUSIONS:
      These data suggest that consumption of a tart cherry juice concentrate provides an increase in exogenous melatonin that is beneficial in improving sleep duration and quality in healthy men and women and might be of benefit in managing disturbed sleep.

• Like Like x 1