2020 US Presidential Election

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Born To Slay, Jan 8, 2020.

1. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      The only two things that have a track record of political change is:

1) Changing public / voters opinion
      2) Lobbying politicians

Along those lines, hiring lobbyists and advertising / PR firms would be the most effective.

However, if there are political candidates who directly support their cause and do want to see meaningful reform (and have a plan to do it), I see @Born To Slay's point that as long as they are transparent, political donations make sense and would be a short cut to the ones writing the laws rather than working through lobbyists. Long term, though, I think they need lobbyists.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Does anybody here need to be convinced that the unions are the main reason that we have a Black Lives Matter organization, and that if the police unions were gotten rid of, Black Lives Matter would not even have 1/10th the support and donations that it currently has, because abusive police officers could then be fired? Is it that hard to understand that there are unfit cops on the force, not many but enough to affect things profoundly, who actually should be fired, outright, before they kill without good reason? Are the police, who are in unions, entitled to exemption from being reviewed for complaints, and dismissed if they have 20, 40 or 60 cases of grievances on file against them? I can only assume that most people believe that this is a good thing, because BLM, along with virtually all non-police sister unions and umbrella organizations such as the AFL-CIO, Teamsters, etc., and many politicians from both major parties, all support the policy of allowing bad cops to remain in their jobs, until they commit murder or manslaughter. This includes virtually all Democrats and most Republicans.

3. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      The beetles and other stressors are happening as a result of climate change (and some invasives are a byproduct of us being a global species).

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Your attempt to absolve Trump from blame is what's political.

Why don't you take your partisan lenses off and see where things stand... today. Even if we ignore everything Trump has done or not done up until now, how is he handing the COVID-19 crisis... TODAY? Just TODAY. Not the Bob Woodward tapes or the inject disinfectant thing or any other scandal, just... TODAY.

Trump is mocking Joe Biden for wearing a mask and conducting one super-spreader event after another with his rallies. He's also pressuring his own government agencies to rush a vaccine by election day. He's pushing so hard, trying to act as Emperor to overrule the FDA where they are saying they may resign in protest. There's no way to look at Trump's handling of this, past OR present, and see a reasonable best-effort response. It is in NO WAY comparable to the response in other countries other than maybe Brazil, but at least that douche in Brazil got some karma his way by contracting COVID-19 himself. Even Boris Johnson (who also got COVID-19) and is considered the "Trump of the UK" has been mostly scared straight and is doing what he needs to do.

Trump doesn't give a flying F how many Americans die. When we passed the 200K milestone he was busy shrugging off the deaths as being nothing but the old an infirm. Disposable human beings. That's the kind of guy he is and anyone I see stick their neck out to defend him makes me think they too are cut from the same cloth of being selfish and devoid of empathy.

Many insiders who really know the man face to face including his own family members have now started pleading with the public to understand that this man is a threat to the country. But no, that's not enough. Too much of the public is just hopelessly brainwashed and are ready to literally walk off a cliff if asked.

Trump is to blame, but the weak-minded American public are even more to blame by empowering and emboldening him.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      This is one political subject I completely agree with you on and something the public should agree on regardless of party but we are too fractured as a nation to come together on anything anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What do you expect Trump to do? Issue another lockdown? People do not want to lose their jobs or have their businesses shut down. Trump has already said people can wear masks if they choose, and that the sick and elderly should stay at home and avoid outside contact. While I agree that people should wear masks, the CDC has flip-flopped on the effectiveness of masks and a mandatory mask order with fines/jail time will result in a revolution as Americans do not like being told what to do.

In case you missed this new CDC data, which the MSM did not cover:
      https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html
      Infection Fatality Ratio
      0-19 years: 0.00003
      20-49 years: 0.0002
      50-69 years: 0.005
      70+ years: 0.054

The left is making a big deal about masks (when the conservatives don't wear them); they just don't want Trump to hold rallies. Why not the same outrage against the "peaceful protestors"? Imagine if all these "peaceful protestors" were fined/jailed? These Democrats don't want a mandatory mask order either, or limitations on gathering size.

Again, what do you expect Trump to do to ensure that the number stays at 200K and never increases? He is trying to get the vaccine out as soon as possible.
      Who are the "many insiders"?

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. DaveN
      No Mood

DaveN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
      1) Most clips of peaceful protests I have seen most people have been wearing masks. I have seen some also where they aren't and believe I would much prefer they were. People I know that have gone to rallies have all worn masks. As a democrat I can tell you that i want a mandatory mask order. Its stupid and selfish not to wear one. My brother contracted COVID-19 in April, and to this day has symptoms most days. He has a clean medical history and is under 30. I wouldn't wish anyone be in the discomfort or pain that he is in.

2) What can Trump do. Instead of simply saying 'yes you should wear a mask if you want' he should say "everyone should wear masks" he also should probably avoid making fun of people for wearing masks or insisting journalists lower their mask when speaking to him in press briefings. There are countless clips of him online doing so.
      Moreover he can stop acting like a petulant child, he is caught on recorded tape saying he was downplaying the virus, he said it would be gone and no one would get it. Him knowing otherwise and not explaining the gravity to the American people is negligent and being wrong. He wasn't honest and was downright deceitful to the American public about the seriousness of the virus.

3) Many insiders you ask? Miles Taylor, Elizabeth Neuman, Olivia Troye, Michael Cohen, Gordon Sondland, John Bolton, Jim Mattis, Rex Tillerson, Rick, Bright, John Kelly, Anthony Scarmucci, Gary Cohn, James Miller, Mary Elizabeth Taylor, Kyle Murphy, and Omarosa Manigault Newman all worked with him within the administration and have gone on record speaking out against him.

**EDIT** Just tacking this on here; his niece Mary Trump is now suing Donald Trump and his siblings-
      https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...t-trump-family-members-over-fraud-allegations

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      • Funny Funny x 3
    9. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The only way to get complete compliance with a mask rule, is to have cops in the street busting the heads of those who are seen without a mask. There are countries, which do this. Is this what we want? What we really need, is for the cops and National Guard, to use their nightsticks and billy clubs on the violent BLM protestors, who are rioting, burning and looting. The police and/or the National Guard need to announce, through bullhorns, "CLEAR THE STREETS", and if they refuse to comply, that's when the tear gas, rubber bullets, and nightsticks come into play.

My advice about what to do about the small number of bad cops, is elsewhere, a few posts back.

10. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      • Agree Agree x 2
    11. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Somehow we got everyone to wear shoes in businesses without cops.

Social shaming could have mostly solved this problem but instead from the onset we had the virus called a "hoax" and told that it would just go away.

And Trump repeatedly saying masks were optional and downplaying their importance.

Social shaming is how drunk driving got reduced in the US. Masks could be addressed the same way. Explain to people that their selflessness is literally killing people.

You are never going to get "complete compliance" with any public health measure but you can dramatically improve it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    12. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      The election is going to get very ugly. I love my country; I don't know how we got here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Complete compliance (not 100% I guess) starts at the top. Top politicians get more media exposure than the men in blue and thus receive a wider audience, which makes it easier to get the message across & boost compliance. So far, Trump sends mixed messages, attacks health experts and lies about the severity of the virus to the grand public. No wonder lots of people get confused about whether or not to wear face masks.

I respect your opinion @Luman, but it's getting a bit tiresome calling the BLM protestors violent. Just look at the stats: 93% of the protests are peaceful, and those that escalated were more often caused by people who were not involved in the BLM movement (like the far right Boogaloo group & the Proud Boys). When it concerns violence, you're looking in the wrong political corner

Link:
      https://time.com/5886348/report-peaceful-protests/
      https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article243553662.html

Clip Washington Post:
      Who caused violence at the George Floyd...

14. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Trump was nominated by a right wing Norwegian Politician. I would say it was a political stunt like this is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      From what I am reading, he was nominated by Russians. Is this considered a valid nomination, such as the way that Grumpy Greta Thunberg was nominated in the past?

16. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have never, not even once or in passing, mentioned Antifa in a post on this thread. Yes, most of the black BLM protestors, and th latte drinking, trust fund babies with white guilt who have an identity crisis, are not violent, but the latter have no ability to differentiate the peaceful, from the violent, in their midst. This is why we need to crack down on these demonstrations, and put an end to the violence, whether it comes from White Supremacists, BLM, the Antifa, New Afrikan Black Panther Party , the Anarchists, Yacht Club Social Register types, or whatever. They ALL need to understand that when the police tell you to do, or not do, something, you don't give them a hard time, you must simply obey, or face the consequences. In the far future, when we finally have a vaccine that should have been here by now, and the country recovers economically, along with the world, then, and only then, street rallies and protests can resume, peacefully.

In the video below, are the type of people that need to be taught a lesson. They are the True Believers in BLM and similar movements. Their punishment should be that their belongings, cars, homes and businesses are destroyed. Then, they should be sent to prison for a few years, with hardened, violent criminals, to ruminate on their decision to riot and deliberately destroy the businesses of people who are serving their community, while struggling to keep afloat.
      BLM "Protesters" Terrorize...

17. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      A vaccine is not needed. Criticizing Trump because a vaccine is not out yet is insane. Doctors in Germany said the COVID-19 scare is overblown. You need masks for an alleged virus that only is lethal to less than 1%? WHO and the CDC keep flip flopping, masks are needed/helpful then they're not or even potentially harmful, then it's the other. INVESTIGATE instead of following along like sheep.

18. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      He's right about BLM being violent.

Or maybe you just choose to ignore what's going on. Despite the MSM's best efforts, they can't hide it when smartphone videos of it are posted online.

Or it's the 'Proudboys' rioting and breaking stuff, attacking whites, in Chicago, LA, Portland, Seattle, Minnesota, Missouri etc. Sure it is, Christian. :rolleyes:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/09/02/the-left-shifts-the-blame-on-riots-in-american-cities/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-death-cost-insurance-industry-2-BILLION.html

19. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      https://www.littler.com/publication...g-your-face-mask-duties-list-statewide-orders
      Most states have a mask mandate for public settings. I only counted 8 or 9 states where masks are "recommended." rather than required. I know from going to the grocery store and walking around that a good portion of people do not wear masks or maintain their distance. It is wishful thinking for the federal government to issue a mask order (at the federal level), for one it cannot be enforced.
      Trump does not ask all reporters asking questions and wearing masks to take off their masks. If he cannot understand what they are asking through the mask (in order to answer their questions), the reporters need to learn to speak more loudly and clearly as they sound muffled. Also, I believe everyone in the press room tested negatively for the virus so there is not much danger.

I can understand why Trump has many enemies. Many on the list are bureaucratic type Republicans and did not like Trump's style which is more quick and aggressive. Some of these people were fired. Mattis retired because Trump is anti-war (requiring troops) and withdrew troops from Syria. However, what is notable is that Trump is now uniting the Republican party.

The only time I've heard Trump ridicule someone wearing masks is with Biden, which I wish he hadn't done. However, Democrats make fun of Trump's hair and weight all the time. I do not believe Trump made fun of the reporters; he only asked them to remove the masks when they sound muffled.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Are you kidding me? I am from Spain and the government here is blamed by the disaster they are making about COVID-19. It is even on the international press!

The Financial Times just compared the disaster in Madrid to American cities like New York...

Trump is responsible for what's happening in America and the death toll, the same way that our government in Spain is responsible for all those elderly people who died miserably on "care" homes.

21. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      • Informative Informative x 1
    23. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Democrats support extreme marxism.

They want mandatory mask orders, arrests of innocent people who don't wear them and support violence and rioting.

24. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      • Like Like x 3
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Only the first one is true and there’s nothing extreme about it.

26. Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I must say, it's pretty stupid for someone (Kyle Kulinski) to make a video about "the story that could lose Trump the 2020 election," all while saying he isn't planning on voting for Biden.

Hmm... if this video's contents won't even sway him, someone who supports progressive values, why would it sway the person feeling okay about Trump?

Kyle says to blame him if Trump wins. I will. Kyle is virtue signaling. He talks about how Trump is directly responsible for tens of thousands of deaths. Yet he won't vote for the guy preaching masks. By Kyle's own logic (he won't vote for Biden because he doesn't want to be responsible for any of his mistakes), he is responsible for tens of thousands of COVID-19 deaths.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I like the balance of those on this thread with different thoughts. For me, I don't feel good about what each (either) political platform fully stands for - as financial greed is always deep seeded by those with power.

Tinnitus is caused by something gone wrong, but there's almost always a cofactor. A cofactor may be present before developing tinnitus or another problem can develop later.

Examples:
      Arteriosclerosis may start with damage or injury to the inner layer of an artery that causes hypertension and pulsatile tinnitus or hypertension from having tinnitus can cause arteriosclerosis that then cause pulsatile tinnitus.

Listening to loud music, until the day comes that the camel's back is broken.

Somatic tinnitus is often caused by whiplash or head injury to the neck and more so with bad posture. This will often cause TMJ when the mouth is open to wide and/or when pressure is then being placed to the jaw. Then infection can set in with moved or unstable c spine or jaw/teeth.

These examples are not fully explained and there's also other input when it comes to tinnitus, but is this different than what takes place in society?

• Like Like x 2
    28. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      There is *nothing* Trump could do to make his followers wake up. Absolutely nothing.

He could drop his pants on stage tomorrow and slowly Jackson Pollack style piss all over a photo of Hillary Clinton (still) and his supporters would cheer and not for a second question if he has the right demeanor for the job.

He could ban all news except for OANN completely and his supporters would say "well everything else is fake news!" and they would cheer the end of the free press.

Trump could use long range acoustic devices that cause permanent hearing damage and tinnitus to end BLM protests and his supporters would say they are enemies of the people and deserve it.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It's not different. Our problems (like tinnitus) are multi-factorial but we have lost the ability to have a national conversation about it because we can't even agree what the problems are.

E.g. Climate change, COVID-19, police brutality.

Regardless if we have different solution ideas we have to all agree that certain problems exist otherwise we can't even approach simple problems, nevermind complex, multi factorial ones.

It would be like half the country saying tinnitus is a hoax.

• Like Like x 2
    30. Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think about this kind of stuff a lot. I think the reason why this board has a small number of people that drive all of the posts (long-term, obviously plenty of people are in and out) is because severe tinnitus and/or hyperacusis is a combination of multiple rare problems, namely: maladaptive neuroplasticity and hearing damage.

In terms of politics, one could argue the Trump phenomenon is similar. A broken system, perfect for a psychopathic, privileged, trust fund baby to exploit. Without someone exploiting this system, it possibly settles down as data-driven people solve the actual problems.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1