36 Weeks Pregnant, About 4 Weeks of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Danika, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Danika

Danika Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14/217
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/pregnancy
      Hi Everyone,

I've been reading all the post and have to say they are both inspiring and scary. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions... the pregnancy hormones don't help I'm sure.

I really don't know what to think of my tinnitus, I was feeling pressure in both my ears and that pressure started giving me anxiety. About a week later a ringing in both ears started... loud enough so that I could hear it over the TV.

I went to my OBGYN who said tinnitus is normal in pregnancy, it is temporary, it will go away, and not to stress.

My GP checked my ears, fine. Nasal and sinus congestion and told me to start taking Claritin. At the time I could only get my left ear to pop. Started Claritin and 2 hours later dramatic difference in both ears. Tinnitus went away in both ears next morning. It came back in the right ear by end of day.

I went to ENT... I was told tinnitus is normal in pregnancy, and that it should go away after giving birth. Ears fine but had nasal congestion and was told to use a nasal spray.

Over the past few weeks it's getting lower... I can hear it in a quiet room... I can sometimes hear it outside when quiet. If I get anxiety it spikes but always goes down.

I have 3 more weeks till delivery... I hear that this is common in pregnancy but is it common for it to go away.?

This waiting game is the worst... I'm worried I will never get back to being me again. I cry thinking that this will somehow take me away from my life and my joy. It's just a sound, how can it have so much power!

I just keep thinking I want my life back, to feel normal and enjoy my husband and my children without this constant feeling in the pit of my stomach... without looking for it... I want to not care if it stays or goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
    3. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Danika
      I am so sorry to hear of your struggles, especially being pregnant.
      My tinnitus came a month after my twins were born, so it's hard for me to know if pregnancy / hormones was the culprit or something else.
      I have read on pregnancy forums that women have had tinnitus during pregnancy, and it has gone within a few weeks / months after the baby is born.
      Others have unfortunately been stuck with it.
      It's really hard to know and you are going to have to give it time unfortunately.
      I think the fact that it is getting lower is a good thing, you have reason to be optimistic.
      What really helped me was to stop listening for and monitoring my tinnitus. I have started to turn the corner since I've stopped doing that.
      You need to try not to focus on it and don't listen for it, just go about your day as best you can.
      I still fully mask at night, people don't advise this (as you cannot get used to a sound you don't hear), but I still hate the sound and don't want to hear it.
      Try to focus on your family and baby the best you can.
      Sam.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Danika
      Sorry you're with us here, but hopefully yours will pass. I agree with @Samantha R about trying to get on with life and not listen for it or focus on it. Ok, easier said then done, but distraction can help. Good luck.

BTW @Samantha R , I lived in Fawkner North, I knew Geelong

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danika

Danika Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14/217
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/pregnancy
      Thank you for your replies!!!

I have moments where feel like I can totally handle this if it's permanent and moments where I feel like this will rob me of my joy!!

My husband has noise induced t, I never even knew until I got mine....he says it doesn't bother him at all, he only hears it if he looks for it or sometimes in really quiet rooms but it doesn't get him down at all...he could care less!!!

I hope I can get there if it's here to stay.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      See the correlation between "he only hears it if he looks for it or sometimes in really quiet rooms" and "it doesn't get him down at all...he could care less"
      You, on the other hand, can hear it over the TV.

I'm glad it's not bothering him too much, as it sounds from your description that it is very mild tinnitus. But don't feel bad if you don't cope as well as he does.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @slipware
      It's a small world - I have a friend in Fawkner North so I know the suburb.
      Where do you live now?

8. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      England. Still got relatives in Geelong.

• Like Like x 1
    9. smith

smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi Danika
      I developed tinnitus at 36 weeks pregnant. I couldn't sleep (hadn't slept in weeks beforehand due to anxiety and discomfort) ... I had an emergency c section at 37 and a half weeks.
      My baby is 3 weeks old tomorrow and I still have tinnitus ;( I'm trying to stay strong and trying to think positive that it will go. Lots of luck x

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danika

Danika Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14/217
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/pregnancy
      Hi smith!!
      How are you feeling after the c-section?

11. smith

smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello
      I'm fine after the procedure. I didn't care about my physical condition at all. I have obsessed over the tinnitus! ;,(
      Xx

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Blondiie02

Blondiie02 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just come across this thread whilst searching the Internet to help me. I'm 25 years old and 23 weeks pregnant. I have never had a problem with my ears before and developed tinnitus when I was around 17 weeks pregnant. It has been continuous since this and doesn't seem to be going. I don't have any pain at all just a slight pressure as though I've just got off a plane. It's becoming unbearable and I keep crying about the ringing/buzzing that is constantly in my ears. I can hear it even when the tv is on. Was just looking for some advice really and any help is very appreciated. Did yours go after you had the baby? My doctor has checked and I have no infection, no wax and my blood pressure is fine. I'm praying for a miracle that this goes :(

13. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I suggest you go to down the diagnosis path. You may find out what your root cause is, and sometimes it's fixable.

14. Rubaby

Rubaby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone! Did anyone’s tinnitus go? Mine started at 23 weeks and I’m now 33 and I’ve still got it :(

It’s horrendous.

15. Sevgi

Sevgi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertigo, pregnancy
      Dear Danika,

I read all your messages. I am feeling same as you. I have the same issues and I am 26 weeks pregnant. Tinnitus started 9 weeks ago with vertigo.

Are you fine after the delivery? Does tinnitus go away after giving birth?

I hope you are great and happy now. I really need your feedback. I wish you all the best.

• Like Like x 1