A Couple of Noise Induced Success Stories for You All!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Capricornus, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It might explain why it took decades for it to go away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      Hey everyone I’m not sure on the statistics but most stories I read of Tinnitus going away is noise induced, do you believe the same success can be said for those with other causes of T?

3. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Yes, mine is from one loud gun shot accident and has faded since onset, but I think withdrawal T and T from ear infections go away as much. Who knows...most people that went through it never get on sites like this.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Dem

Dem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently - Concert 2012-2016 H - virus
      My first tinnitus caused by infection and etd went away in half of the year.

• Like Like x 4
    5. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      @Dem thank you :) good to hear

6. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Just think of all the military folks who come back from service and have T. -- I've seen a few on this forum but they probably just think of it as a minor inconvenience depending on what they saw while in service.

They say 10% of the population has some form of T. -- That would be over 30 million in the U.S. alone which is pretty astonishing..

Hang in there everyone and stay busy & healthy. -- I had a 3 week spike but am back to baseline now thank God. :)

• Like Like x 4
    7. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      I think mine turned into full etd from tmj. Ha. I hope that's true.

• Like Like x 2
    8. MeBeSurfer

MeBeSurfer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI Medication, Movie Theaters, or Gaming Headphones
      Super jealous of you noise induced folks. Drug induced checking in, and we get the T combined with what the ef else did this drug do to our brains?! Cause this feels/sounds diff than what people describe here. It's like a noisy cafe of thoughts that have sounds combined with eeeeeeeeeeee (I realize this makes no sense, but not sure how to describe it). Some days a really good, but others are OMG how will I live with this. Anyway just keeping a positive attitude, great to see some people beat T, though. Good luck to everyone!

• Hug Hug x 3
    9. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I see that the cases that take more time to get better are those caused by acoustic trauma or noise injury because they also cause hyperacusis.

10. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Not necessarily, many people get T from loud music but do not get H.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Illinoise

Illinoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      november 7 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Concert
      Thank you so much for these!!!

12. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      THIS ANOTHER GOOD THREAD.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      I could really do with seeing more of these

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      How is your T?

15. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      T isn’t too bad I had a bad sleep night for the first time in maybe 2/3 weeks?

On the tinntitus scale on the website I’d say it’s between 2 in the morning to a 3 (4max) by the evening. It’s the ear pain and the TTTS to noise that’s affecting me most. I find the T irritating.

Yours?

16. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      When my T hit me hard in 2012, I would've preferred to be stone deaf than deal with the frequencies screaming in my head. A low-pitched hum in my left ear was unbearable if I was anywhere remotely quiet. I even remember thinking if it weren't for my family, I'd chose the afterlife over this hell. I'd experience T, H and even a weird, distorted type of T brought on by certain noises, like a motorcycle exhaust. And as a musician, avoiding noisy environments is not an option for me (but using IEM's at low volume helps). Out of fear, I tried vitamins, Keppra, and all the snake oil BS people are selling out there. My T was at an 8 out of 10 scale. Nothing worked.

About 2 years ago, I noticed kind of out of the blue, that my low hum was getting quieter, to the point where it was getting really easy to ignore. However, my high-pitched T seemed to be getting louder. But overall, I'd say my annoyance scale dropped to about a 5.

Fast forward to 2019. I don't know if the brain just "figures it out" and turns down the gain on the lost frequencies, or what the body does, but my annoyance level is a 1 now! The low hum is completely gone, and the high screams or nothing more than a quiet whimper now. I can even sleep without white noise, although after so many years of sleeping to a fan, I'm too used to it to stop.

It really took about 7 years to go from hell to back to "normal", but it really can happen!! I'm convinced that's why we don't see of the folks that used to frequent this site back in the day. I still lurk here, but don't post much. I don't really think about T anymore, which has been life changing.

I know the fear the new / newer sufferers are going through. It's awful and debilitating, but things can get better, it just takes time. Also, habituation (believe it or not) is a real thing. And stay positive on the hearing loss treatments coming along. I have no doubt it'll help T sufferers with NIHL.

Stay strong out there!!

• Like Like x 7
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 7
      • Winner Winner x 3
    17. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      YAY.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @swc5150 dis your H disappear ? Did you have any pain?

19. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      Yes, H is gone as well. Certain sounds really hurt, back to my motorcycle example. I'm still more sensitive to certain sounds than people with "normal" hearing, but I'd consider my H gone.

• Like Like x 1
    20. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @swc5150 that’s good that your pain went away. Do you get pain from any sounds now? I get the impression H tends to get better for most people and more quickly than T

21. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      Not really. A loud car horn or train whistle still hurts, but nothing like before. H was like a drill going through my head.

22. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Do you have any more encouragement to leave us with. :) Any noise induced success stories you know about that kept you afloat?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    23. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      Yes, Frequency's treatment will work for NIHL, at least mine. I know this because I went into a silent room, pooped in my buddy's hearing aids and my T went to zero in a matter of minutes. Hang tight, help is on the way!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Thanks for this positive outlook, @swc5150. I believe that these kinds of posts can be very helpful for the new sufferers, they absolutely worked for me in the early days.

• Like Like x 2
    25. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Just think of everybody in the service, who saw action, that are homeless, have PTSD, have drug and alcohol problems, are divorced and depressed, like my uncle and friends we grew up with. But hey on the bright side... it's a minor inconvenience for many. So let's stay healthy, and busy as you say and drink some west grass and power fruit shakes.

Glad your spike went down, that's something to be happy about.

• Like Like x 1
    26. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Agreed Daniel. I have a couple friends who are really in bad shape; one with Huntington's Disease and the other paralyzed from the neck down from an accident on his scooter.

Every time my T spikes and I get annoyed, I remind myself of that and go back to being busy and healthy.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    27. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I can add a small story from my grandfather. Up to yourself if you want to consider it a success story. When he was 20, he worked often in the wood to cut down trees for the new highway (that was in the early 1960s). So he was around a lot of noisy machinery. One day a dude from public accident insurance showed up to see if the company complied with noise security standards. My grandfathers hearing was tested and he was showing healthy hearing. The guy said, "I bet you've used your hearing protection from the beginning". My grandfather said yes, while everybody around started laughing because nobody ever used hearing protection at all back during that time, neither for chainsaws. He never developed tinnitus from that. However, he occasionally had it when he was sick, and developed it permanently at around the age of 60 (worked as a farmer after quitting the work in the forest, so more excessive noise exposure for 40 years).
      He also told me that he had ringing for a week when a gunshot was fired next to his ear in the military (man that seems to be really common in the military)... A friend of his had it too, who has practically deaf for a half week, then his hearing returned.

• Like Like x 1
    28. martin81

martin81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2020 02 01
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Hello sir. Did you get your tinnitus by loud music?

29. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      @swc5150
      Did Keppra work for you? A lot of people seem to go back and forth so just wanted to clarify where you stand. Thanks!

30. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      I am really happy that your grandfather could live tinnitus-free. I wish my ears were so resistant too...