A Test (Maybe Tympanogram?) at the ENT Department Made My Tinnitus Much Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by TBH, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Is your hyperacusis gone?

2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      no but its better.

• Like Like x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Constant ringing recent, hum few years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unwanted tests by Incompetent NHS hospital staff
      For dpdx... any answers here you can help me out on regarding the above post from December.

Also, does anyone know why these high pitched tones just escalate for no reason whatsoever when you're watching the telly, minding your own business, and it just comes in for no reason. I do now find that my tinnitus is far louder and frequent than it ever was, 3 and a half months on there is no day that goes by when I don't have it, far more consistently. The lower rumble never stops, that’s a constant and worse at night. But the high tone is something that is started by nothing. Depressed isn't even the half of it, the confusing and frustration of not knowing why or how to combat is never going to stop. There is no way you can habituate after living a life without this in it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      FOUR MONTHS on...

Exactly the same. Still raging, and still devastated. Nothing has changed at all.

The high hiss that is ruining my life as we speak is a constant massive. Still aggravated when going out to a shop. Typical of my luck standing next to a car yesterday while loading groceries into the boot of car, the car next to me siren alarm went off yesterday and that was debilitating, but worse than that, it stays in my head to ramp this torture up higher than usual for days afterwards when going out. Have been awake the whole night. How am I still alive? 4 months of this has all but killed me. The misery is another level, and I've had two bereavements to cope with prior to this happening. I hate to say it but I coped with that better than this!

I hear the it will get better, but forgive me for not believing this when after 4 months it's EXACTLY the same, not even remotely easier. I just don't see this ever ending. The anxiety is another constant, because you know tomorrow will be crap, and the day after that will be crap. And they all are. It's a living hell.

Are there many people who have the low motor rumbling sound AND the high pitched screech or do most people have one or the other? As you know by now if you've read my post, I never had the high pitch till those morons gave me those tests.

• Hug Hug x 4
    5. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      it will get better... give it a year

• Like Like x 2
    6. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine took a year and a half to get better, still sometimes it can be loud and other times silence.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don’t know I’ll last that long. S

eriously no sign of any improvement after 4 months and just now trying to watch a film but can’t concentrate on anything. Just makes me feel ill every day. Like you have the flu. It’s draining.

Surely if this was going to get easier I’d have some improvement? Anything? But it’s exactly the same. How do you survive this EVERY day and night? How long before you get a day off from it. There’s no support from family so much so that they won’t even talk to me since this has happened. In truth I don’t want to talk to anyone at the moment anyway. I do wonder how common this is and what even causes it that was done by them.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    8. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yours was pretty serious if I remember correctly. You mean some days you don’t hear it at all?

9. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pretty much... it reduced in volume... still getting better ;)

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That’s unreal. I’m very happy for you dude.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m coming up to 5 months since that test and want to top myself on a regular basis. I’ve not had one day off from this. How did you keep going? I don’t want to wake up the next day. Life is just one miserable day after the other. The anxiety of having to go out the front door when I can 100% know it’s going to ramp it up without fail no matter where I go, is daily life. And all because of the miraculous test that nobody in our position actually needs.

Thanks.

Oh and the British Society of Audiologists won’t even give me time of day. I only wanted to talk to someone and get some advice. Or at least know why that did what it did. Nobody and I mean nobody can tell me. The fact so many people in this profession are clueless is astounding.

• Hug Hug x 3
    12. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They don't know man... I was told I have thyroid cancer or brain tumor (theory was that was causing tinnitus), after multiple MRIs, blood tests, and unnecessary ear tests which made tinnitus worse, it was finally concluded 2 years later that yes it was noise induced... took 2 damn years to figure out that I got tinnitus from loud concert/earbuds.

It will get better after 1-2 years ;)

Mine is still getting better :)

Lots of people ask me how life is? Well it is much much better than 2018 when it was at its worst, bad thing is that tinnitus aged me drastically (premature greying and huge wrinkles).

So life is better :) :) :) ... but in comparison to pre tinnitus (previous to Sep 2017), it is not good. I am trying to continue my life where it left off in Sep 2017 but I am not sure if I could ever go back to that stage of "happiness and optimism and physical appearance".

I am happy that my tinnitus lowered and hyperacusis is better! I do miss life pre tinnitus so much. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if tinnitus never occurred... not a day passes by where I don't miss my old life.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    13. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @dpdx -- MSM should reduce your grey hair (and make you healthier in the process); castor oil will almost certainly reduce the wrinkles. Some say it takes 10 years off their real age.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I got this at age 28.

Is MSM safe??

Attached Files:

15. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Super safe -- See snippet below from THIS ARTICLE:

The Bottom Line
      MSM is a popular supplement with a wide variety of uses.

Research shows that it may be helpful in reducing joint pain, lowering inflammation, improving skin health, decreasing allergy symptoms and speeding recovery after exercise.

Additionally, some evidence suggests that MSM can boost the immune system and may have cancer-fighting properties.

MSM appears to be safe and studies report only minimal side effects.

Although the current findings on MSM are promising, more research is needed to understand all of its potential
      benefits as well as possible side effects.

For anybody looking into MSM, I think the following story is quite amazing (from -- https://richdistributing.com/). Very interesting comments on what it did to his skin. (I've made many orders from this company over the years) -- BTW, one of the hallmarks of MSM is it dramatically improves cell wall permeability. One of the main reasons for aging is the body (and cells) losing elasticity over time. -- Also, MSM is very similar to DMSO. The S in each stands for Sulfur. There's probably overlap with Sodium Thiosulfate as well, which is the substance that gives healing sulfur hot springs their egg smell. -- Sodium Thiosulfate — "May" Help w/ Hearing Loss and/or Tinnitus

Bill Rich's Story
      Bill Rich and Rich Distributing was the VERY FIRST company to provide MSM for human consumption. Bill, a retired mechanic and inveterate tinkerer living in Portland, Oregon suffered for years in excruciating pain from burns, extensive skin grafts and keloid scarring after being trapped in a burning car in 1970. The doctors spent six months trying to put him back together, yet the pain was so severe in his knees and ankles he would "nearly buckle over and cry from the experience."

Then in the late 1980’s a veterinarian suggested he try a supplement commonly used to treat horses and other animals. After three days of taking the supplement MSM most of the pain was gone. Eventually, he developed an MSM based lotion to rub on his skin. The purple scarring he had for years started to vanish and was replaced by round pink skin. At that point, he developed a product line to help all people achieve their optimum health through nutrition.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I don't even think it was particularly loud at all, it was the pressure and the suction from the Tympanogram that I believe caused this, even the tone test wasn't particularly loud, very faint beeps, but it was the whatever it physically did, not the sounds of it.

How will this get better though? The low hum I had for years before these tests never went away. This is 5 months and has got worse and worse in the 5 months. It's screeching now, as I type. The fact it's so bad after this long doesn't fill me with much hope. I spend every night thinking about me 5 months ago, and torturing myself with 'what if I hadn't had this test'. Stupid things like a teaspoon in a cup drives me up the wall. Loud telly etc. I would say that something inside of the head that that test does, physically, as opposed to sound is what has done this to me.

The worst part for me is going into supermarkets or shopping malls or just about anywhere out now, ramps it up, But again, I don't know why, even when it's just shopping noise, that's not even that loud. I can't remember what it's like to go out and not give a crap. Now, I avoid going anywhere. This is not living. But like I say, if the previous low hum tinnitus never went away, how will this much worse screech ever go away. Even if it's lowered on one very rare day, the next day it's back with a vengeance. If it's there when waking in the morning, you know that ain't going anywhere for the rest of the day and it gets worse all day. A day when it's low gets rarer and rarer. But I know going out will max it.

Regarding the grey, try the gradual shampoo that does it naturally as opposed to dyes. I did try MSM for a fair while, and even contacted the company who made it, and in all honesty, they had never heard of it for grey hair, and it did nothing for mine when I started to get some grey. But Re what Lane has posted, if it's good for the health, then give it a go anyway.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Any way to track what makes it lower on these rare days, anything you do, or don't do on these days?

• Like Like x 1
    18. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Hi TBH

I respectfully would like to make two comments. I find myself in a similar place these days.

In your initial post you mentioned that you used headphones to drown out the T. This likely didn't help the progression of your T through the years. I used cell phone headsets which likely didn't help me either. I would recommend not listening to headphones even at low levels again.

I had a Tympanogram and Audiogram two weeks ago. My ears have hummed since. They seem to be moving in the right direction, but very very slowly. I wouldn't expect the pressure to cause more disturbance on my eardrum than a pressurized airplane cabin, so it's hard for me to square that the Tympanogram is so much to blame. But maybe that + the audiogram kicked up my T the last two weeks. Many people in this thread is believe Tympanogram is harmful and maybe it is for us that already have tinnitus. I asked that no Tympanogram be performed but it looks they did anyway. I'm looking for answers too.

I hope you find relief. It will get better in time, I know it will for me too. In the end, all we have is time.

Best wishes.

• Like Like x 2
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good question. That's THE most frustrating thing. I can't work it out at all.

I used to think it was putting on the television over breakfast that brought the high pitch screech, The low hum that I can actually feel, is always there, so I tried to not put telly on in the morning, but it still came on after half hour of getting up, (if it wasn't already there when I woke anyway). But days when it's lower are maybe once a week, and nothing really indicates why. It will be on a day I don't go out, which are many, since this happened. Alcohol or no alcohol the night before, No difference. Foods, no difference.

It's particularly bad tonight. Low and high together. You know when you have it this bad it actually makes you feel physically ill. As if you're off sick with a flu or something. I know many of you can relate to that. It really is life killing

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Capstan

I know the Tympanogram moves the ear drum, that's all I know about it. That must've done some damage. How can I find out without another invasive test? That's another issue. Any worse than this, which is already at volume '11', after five months and I'll probably jump out a window. It's something that can't really be helped by anyone at the moment.

Thanks, I can't put it down to anything else though, that's the issue. It literally started the day of that test and I'd never had it before, so there is no question or doubt in my mind what caused this. And 5 months this week is a downer for no other reason than it gets worse, not better, after all this time. I hope you get sorted too, and please let me know how you get on.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus and hyperacusis will get better after 1-1.5 years... trust me.

I will try the shampoo.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Thank you.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm constantly trying to figure out what changed. I had some allergies this month that I blame for triggering me to go down this path. I *hope* my visit to the ENT didn't complicate matters. All I know is I've fallen out of any habituation and desperately want to return. My brain has latched on to it and hasn't let me think of anything else for three weeks.

It seems most people improve over time. @dpdx congrats on your improvements.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your replies, as you know, this has made me very pessimistic with all the ‘If it doesn’t improve in 3-6 months it won’t ever improve’ posts, as I'm now at 5. Maybe the Tympanogram destroyed a hair cell and it won’t ever get better etc. Maybe something is damaged inside there? It’s hard to think this will ever go away when every day is torture. Last night when I was writing it was screeching, this morning it’s booming bottom end. I can’t catch a break.

Doctor still trying to deflect away from it, because they all protect each other in the NHS, but this is not a coincidence the day this happened I get that, and it still angers me so much when they try and say that it could be a coincidence that after we gave you the Tympanogram that's ruined your life, and we still won’t ever give you the person’s name who did it for you to talk to, that it could have nothing to do with it?? Absolutely highly insulting.

I hate it more when it’s really prominent in the morning, because I know that’s it for that day, It’s never got lower once in any day. It will remain there for that day and night, regardless.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That test does not sound like a tympanogram. Could it be evoked potential? That's a test with loud noise, like some crackling noise, that can be adjusted in volume, and can go from 60 dB to around 90 dB or maybe more. It is annoying sound, so you would remember..

25. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It does get better but really damn slow... really slow.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The one I had was a Tympanogram yes. No loud noises no.

What is 'evoked potential'? On a quick Google, they don't look like sealed earbuds that go in the ears, they look like pads on the head? Not ears.

27. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      In theory a standard tympanogram is not loud. Actually, a tympanogram can be also performed only by delivering pressure, not even any beeps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That’s my point. There wasn’t loud sound. It was the pressure that’s done the damage. And it still hurts. 5 months later. The noise is raging and unbearable daily, but the pressure is also still present.

• Hug Hug x 2
    29. Capstan

Capstan Guest

@TBH

It's been a while since you've updated the thread? How are you doing? I made the mistake of getting a second opinion at a specialist. I asked if I had fluid, they sent me to the back and before I knew it, tempanogram! I really messed up, my first test didn't cause hyperacusis but after the second I've been very sensitive to anything with a motor (fans, mowers, blowers). I've had to be on anxiety meds to help make it the past 3 weeks. I am praying it reduces, but hyperacusis fading feels so unlikely. I have a lot of the same symptoms. Seems that outside noise ramps up my tinnitus and I pay for it for days. I will also have the occasional good day, which I try to savor.

I don't know your sound, but my ring is horrible, it's like a 1000 angry cicadas oscillating back and forth. Then add in a motor, then it ramps up further.

This stuff is wicked. I really don't know how @dpdx made it a year and half. Hopefully we have similar results in time.

Hope you're well.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Did you feel the pressure? I didn't feel anything...

• Like Like x 1