Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      By the way, what makes you think it is not working at all for you? Would you share your experience?

2. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Hi,

Well, when I first started on the treatment phase after being initially on placebo, I thought my tinnitus was improving a little. I got 8kHz in both ears the first two times though. After a while the improvement seemed to stop and then to reverse - to the extent that I now wonder whether I originally imagined it because I wanted it so much. I went back for a frequency adjustment a week or two ago and we came up with 7.5k and 8.5k. I am not confident about the 8.5k - I think I got that wrong. But then maybe it is right and my earlier 8k was because I averaged over the two ears. (I find it hard to separate my dominant frequencies in each ear, and think I also have other less dominant ones as well, muddying up any clarity I might try to get about this.)

(Explanation: If the device is working then apparently the frequency of your tinnitus will tend to drift downwards as well as getting quieter - you therefore need to retune the device periodically to your new frequency/frequencies. On the trial they start doing this at every two weeks then it gets longer. If doing it yourself you might want to test your frequency more often as if it is working for you then you might get better results this way. But, of course, that might not be true - it is only my supposition).

Regarding the accuracy of the figures I gave, I cannot guarantee the hertz values I have given are exact. They are the figures given by the "Plot Spectrum" function in Audacity so may have slight error - presumably only a few hertz - in either direction.

I hope this is useful info. If you have any questions I am happy to expand further, but am conscious of my tendency to waffle on a bit!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi @dboy, I am so sorry to hear that it doesn't work for you. I think there are several factors which cause tinnitus, and ANM is only effective against one of them: the "keyboard" in your brain malfunctions.

• Like Like x 1
    4. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Thanks Edward. I might have a go with the DIY approach in a week or two if I drop out of the trial, as I can then experiment with different frequencies in the 7-8k region, but sadly the trial of the ANM device/protocol has done me no good at all.

P.S. I have discussed dropping out with them and been assured that results of my previous tests will be extrapolated and the failure of the device to help me will be represented. I don't understand the experiment design completely. In the main part of the trial I was on placebo, but it seems that my experience on treatment does have some input into the results (just not quite sure how that works).

5. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi all,
      So far we have:
      5500Hz : 4207, 4945, 6047, 7699
      6500Hz : 4980, 5848, 7137, 9094
      7500Hz : 5744, 6752, 8249, 10511
      8000Hz : 6140, 7196, 8808, 11217
      8500Hz : 6509, 7644, 9346, 11909

Accordingly, we have formulas for different T frequency:
      5500 to 6500
      f1=0.773T - 44.5
      f2=0.903T - 21.5
      f3=1.09T + 52
      f4=1.395T + 26.5

6500 to 7500
      f1=0.764T + 14
      f2=0.904T - 28
      f3=1.112T - 91
      f4=1.417T - 116.5

7500 to 8000
      f1=0.792T - 196
      f2=0.888T + 92
      f3=1.118T - 136
      f4=1.412T - 79

8000 to 8500
      f1=0.738T + 236
      f2=0.896T + 28
      f3=1.076T + 200
      f4=1.384T + 145

If your T frequency is smaller than 5500, you may want to use the formulars for 5500 to 6500; if your T frequency is greater than 8500, you may want to use the formulars for 8000 to 8500.

We need ANM patterns for 4000, 3000, 2000, 1000, and 10000 badly.

6. paul scott

paul scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      My Tinnitus is around 6000. If I wanted to have a go with the DIY modulation, how would i go about turning the general fuzz.net application on the internet into a music file that I could load up onto my IPOD?

7. IvanSK

IvanSK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      @paul scott

generalfuzz is planing to implement a file export. In the meantime you can play the sounds in your browser and record the stereo mix with virtually any wave editor or sound recorder. If you have vista/win7 you basically have to set stereo mix as a default recording device and just record.
      Hope this helps.

8. paul scott

paul scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Ivan

thanks for the info, however I am ashamed to admit that I still don't know how to do what you suggest. Any chance of a bit more detail for a luddite...?

9. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
    10. paul scott

paul scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thanks - now done. Hva just finished creating a minute clip of the general fuzz @ 6000 Hz to upload to my iPod.

Going to see if I can tolerate wearing it for a few hours a day - beats paying £4500 for ANM from the Tinnitus Clinic.

11. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      A suggestion:
      Try: generate>silence and make 0.1 seconds (rather than 0.01), and you will find that you don't need to "tolerate" wearing it at all because it is so comfortable and not disturbing. I wear it whole day, even when reading.

12. Frederick86

Frederick86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      I was the one who was trying this (from generalfuzz site) for one of my tinnitus tones.

Well, I was doing it for about 10-15 days, and the reduction (almost supression) didn't sustained over the day, even after more than a week.

In the mean time, I've been looking for other causes for that tone, as I also have some TMJ (more muscle-based, as I don't have many damages to the articulation itself) and it seems that I have also trigger points in neck and facial muscles.

So I've been doing trigger point teraphy, both on my own and by physical therapist, and that tone is gone for now.

Now I'm going to try to treat with ACR the other, a high pitch about 8000hz. This tone seems to be modulated by trigger points but not eliminated, so it seems possible that is originated in the inner ear.

At the very minimum I'm finding the ACR useful for self-diagnosis, as non-auditory tinnitus doesn't get lasting improvements with it.

So, if this tone really comes from the brain itself (by means of inner ear damage), I'll keep telling you how it's going.

13. IvanSK

IvanSK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
    14. Frederick86

Frederick86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      No, although I'm trying to do conscious jaw relaxation during the day, is more easily achieved if you put the tip of the tongue just behind the upper front teeth, that position leads the articulation to neutral position. But in my case massaging that zone with more than slight pressure seems to be counterproductive.

The tone I got gone was a medium pitched one, about 1650hz, and it seemed to be related with sternocleidomastoid trigger points.

The point where you say you can modulate your T is close to two muscles that are usually related to tinnitus, the temporalis and the lateral pterygoid. As this last one is very difficult to touch from the outside, I'd say the right muscle in your case is the temporalis. The trigger points for you could be the ones that go from slighly in front of the top of the ear to just above the ear.

Also, it will be interesting for you to know that osteopaths relate the TMJ caused tinnitus to a bad position of the temporal bone. They say if that bone has a slight inwards rotation, that can happen from mechanical continuous trauma (bruxism, articular problems) it affects the close bones, as the mastoid, which is just over the inner ear.

Have you tried trigger point therapy or osteopathic manipulations? Yesterday I posted in a thread about it to explain this to a person who suffers from TMJ too. There's a book where you can learn to do self therapy, although it takes a good amount of practice to do it right, and from personal experience I'd recommend to see proffesionals till you get a sense for how to massage and press this points.

• Like Like x 1
    15. paul scott

paul scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hi Edward

Sorry, I don't understand your post. Please can you explain what you mean...?

Paul

16. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi @paul scott, sorry for the obscure expression.
      According to the first post, @jibs's DIY method suggested that one sould make 0.01 second silence between every sine tone. However, I found that 0.01 second was too short which resulted in a very disturbing mp3 file. So, I made 0.1 second silence between every sine tone and found that the mp3 file was very tranquilizing, to the extend that I could wear my mp3 player all day long without being disturbed.

By the way, I make 0.166 second sine tones rather than, as @jibs suggested, 0.15.

17. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      Does anyone know if this won't be effective in the long run if played with other masking noises? For instance, I'm currently playing it "behind" some music where it's still clearly audible but not as present. It temporarily relieves my tinnitus nevertheless.

18. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Liesel, the earphones of ANM device allow user to hear other sounds, so I think it will be effective even if played with other masking noises.

19. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      hello everyone,

totally baffled, but intrigued with sound therapy..

i have posted a question in support forum section, but ill ask here too..

which is best in your view/s neuromonics/masking Vs sound therapy that aims to assist with brain remapping?

thanks for any responses

deb

20. cessna2k

cessna2k Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I would first try CR, I use the "http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/" program and I think it helps, I have only recently started so it is too early for conclusion, but it is free and the most pormising therapy. You should consider prgramming an APP, people would even pay something I think for the convenience :) ...

21. baddream
      Depressed

baddream Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I use http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/" almost every day hoping to see some results but after 2 or 3 months I am not seeing any. It definitely gives temporary relief, though.

my T is in the 7950hz - 8000 range

22. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey baddream, Wow! I just went to that link and played around with the Acoustic CR, and you are right. Once ou get the right hz and volume dialed in, it works!! But is does seem to only be temporary. Intriguing though!! My T is very near your hz range, sucks huh??!! Thanks for the post!!

23. baddream
      Depressed

baddream Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I woke up this morning with my T on a scale of 1-10 it was 9. I used http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/ for about 2 hours and now its about 3 or 4... I can barely hear it.. it almost seems like doing this resets my T volume level for the entire day!! anyone else get this?

• Like Like x 1
    24. TommyZ

TommyZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      My ringing appeared to go away after hearing those tones in the MP3s. You may be on to something here. This is really strange not to hear them. Thanks. Wow. They are still there just deeper inside right now. Maybe more treatments will help clear the feedback loop or whatever it was.

25. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Im considering using this website. I have been reading this thread for a while. How are you guys getting on with the treatment? Is it still working?

26. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      How are you getting on using this website? Is it making any difference what so ever?

27. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Hi I have just started using the General fuzz ACRN tinnitus protocol.
      Am I hearing it right? I thought it was supposed to be music, all I am hearing is beeping sounds. Is that right?
      Any help would be appreciated.

28. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It's correct. Not supposed to be music.

29. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Thanks Markku.
      I was reading another thread today about finding my t frequency.
      I am having trouble finding mine because I have hearing loss in my left ear but not my right.
      I can hear the tone clearly in my left ear at a low volume but have to turn it up to hear it in my right.
      Should I set the volume for my left or right ear?
      I am thinking of Knotching music as well.
      Do you know how accurate I have to be with my frequency? If I get it wrong will I cause more damage?
      Thanks in advance for any help.

30. Bob2014

Bob2014 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Thanks for making this web app. Has anyone had any positive results yet? If so, how long does the T stop for?