Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Oh wow. I just gave this a try. This really seems to quiet my T for a while. I need to experiment with this more! :) Thanks @Steve @generalfuzz

2. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/14 (tones) 12/22 (hum, right ear)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can anyone made an MP3 from the ACRN? So that I can playing it on my Nokia. My frequence is 1,5khz, that's the ugly T. I have also T on the other ear with circa 3khz. I hope when I use it for the 1,5khz the 3khz not will become louder. I have no Computer here and my Nokia not playing it. Thx

3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Has anybody thought about, or even tried, using vagus nerve stimulation together with this treatment?

4. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      @seppl Try the musical one on post 276 that Sound Wave mentions above. I have 2 different tones and I went on the trial for ANM and it didn't work for me, but the musical one does.

@Sound Wave It quietens mine for a while too. I use it when I have a spike to calm the T down, though I keep meaning to try it longer term as I think it will work just as the ANM device is supposed to. It's just a theory of course, I would love to get a study group together to see if it works. Imagine we develop this further as a low cost therapy that works for everyone with an iPod, how cool would that be?

• Like Like x 5
    5. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      A mobile page version of the site would be very cool.

It would be pretty straightforward to write. For starters, all of the javascript is on @generalfuzz 's page. I've discovered some bugs with it in Chrome and I'm sure I can figure some more stuff out with it, but it would be repurposable into a mobile app.

• Like Like x 1
    6. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      ok, i friend helped me record the arcn. Now i have a 1 hour mp3.
      :bookworm:but i will look at the post 276.

7. generalfuzz

generalfuzz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction to relafen
      Let me know if you have any bug fixes - I'll be happy to put them in.

• Like Like x 1
    8. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      So I'm a little confused on what neromodulation is supposed to do. Is it supposed to help us habituate or is it literally supposed to quiet down the tinnitus? How long should we listen to this? I'm not sure if I should be doing this for 5 minutes or an hour?

9. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Matt,

It's meant to reprogram the brain to stop hearing tinnitus. In the protocol for the treatment they ask you to listen for 4-6 hours per day at a volume level where you can hear the tones but they are not loud or distracting.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Neuromodulation or Notched white noise? I think the study's says that notched white noise is more successful, but I'm not sure. I have not enough time use both techniques. Which is more effective?

11. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Hey thanks for that info Steve. I guess I better finally get myself an iPod or something, lol.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013

I have been doing this (more or less). I practice Yoga (which has been found to activated the vagus nerve). During my practice at home I tend to listen to these beeps (or white noise). Does I work....I do not know, but my tinnitus has been changing for the last 3 months (I am 7 month in).

1. The pitch is lower. It was 18kHz @ 15 dB
      2. I cannot pitch match anymore, as soon as I hear a pure tone remotely equal to my tinnitus, my tinnitus becomes inaudible (and stays gone for a at least a while). I know this is residual inhibition, but the seems to grow longer and longer over the months.
      3. Either the volume has dropped or it does not bother me as much anymore.

Is the yoga in combination with this sound therapy making me better? I don't know. I do feel better and I enjoy my practice ---> I will keep doing this for a long long time.

The combination of vagus nerve stimulation with the CRN seems logical. It should speed-up to process.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Thanks @Sjoerd! I was just now thinking about this when I was bicycling here in sunny but freezing Helsinki. I was actually thinking about mindfulness + CRN, but meditation is very similar (if not the same). How long do you meditate and how if I may ask? Happy to hear about your progress!!

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Currently I hardly do any still meditation. Only after Yoga practice I count down my breaths for a while. During Yoga I do tend to keep my mind as empty as possible. I try to keep my body free from tension and focus and slow deep abdominal breath (pull down the diaphragm).

I think this type of practice is really the only way to fundamentally calm your nervous system down. Anyway.....this (more or less) natural way of stimulating your own vagus nerve seems to help me....

I would say, just give it a go combined with CR program....

15. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      @Steve, any chance :) you could make one track which goes into higher frequencies than 10KHz? I think my T is above 10KHz.

16. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What about your hearing, how high does it go?

17. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      About up to 13KHz I would say

18. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Just curious, have you been doing this? How has it been working for you?

19. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I keep meaning to as it really helps me. I just use it when I have a bad day or a spike, to calm the T down. I'm really busy at the minute, when my focus is deep into working the T is out of mind - still there but not foremost in my thoughts.

I want to trial it for a prolonged period of time, probably 3 months. To do that properly I need to find the right ear/headphones that don't interfere with my hearing; I was going to try some bone conduction headphones to see how they work. The ones they give with the ANM device aren't good for me, they sit right in the ear canal and I really dislike them. Feels unnatural to me being so close.

20. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll look into it, give me a day or so. My hearing is around 13KHz too so I can easily find the highest pitch. I think I selected 10KHz originally so that almost everybody could hear it.

• Like Like x 1
    21. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I first learned about this by watching a Youtube link. But I have tried using this for about 20 minutes at a time before from the link on here, and it really does seem to quiet down my tinnitus! It has made me a believer that if someone were to actually follow the proper protocol/treatment, that this actually could make it so the brain no longer hears the T. In my opinion, that would beat habituation.

22. baddream
      Depressed

baddream Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Really need a iphone app for this so I can use it as I sleep, each night. would be an easy way to track improvements

23. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      ^ why does it have to be an app? You can play an mp3 / audio file with repeat, right?

24. Bella1

Bella1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi can someone help me with matching? I have kind of cicada like sound in the left ear and ear plane sounds in both ears. I can't match a tone but found that around 865hz generalfuzz sounds were most comfortable. You guys are all up so much higher and I am thinking I won't get an affect with out knowing right tone. I play the tones and none match. What should I do?

25. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I don't know where my T is. It is high-pitched and probably somewhere > 8 khz. But when I select 10 kHz, it lowers my T. Maybe you supply a 10 kHz mp3 file here. Thanks.

26. Bella1

Bella1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks @Martin69. I will try a few different ones. It was weird today I played for around an hour and half the 879 hz which gives 1252 hz at the top tone and one hour later after I was not listening any more I had a horrible high tone in my left ear. It calmed after one hour but scared me. I am going to try again. I wish I could get some result from something but every drug I have tried so far has made it worse. I am very frusterated

27. TwinGlocks

TwinGlocks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2013
      This definitely has a quieting effect on my T. I will experiment with this further.

28. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I did this with dedication for two months. Recorded the tones , one recording for my 3.1khz tone and one for the higher one which I am guessing is at aroound 12 khz , made a notched version of my crickets sound and mixed the tones into that.

No result. Keep in mind that I combined the two techniques ,notched sounds and acrn.

29. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I tried this for one day . I listened in my car/apartment for 20-40 min stretches . probably about 90-110 minutes total and found it did work for about a few minutes. For those of you that this worked for, how long did you have listen for?

30. ItalianMan
      Fine

ItalianMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Then its only RI