Advice — Increased Volume of Ringing

Discussion in 'Support' started by Greg Clarke, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Hi All,

Stumbled across the forum today as I was scouring the web looking for some advice. I've had tinnitus since I was 26 (Am 34 now). Probably caused by going to concerts for years without using any ear protection.

I would've described my case as mild, since I first noticed it I've done everything possible to ensure it doesn't get any worse. I've a constant ringing in my left ear but it was at a pretty low level, I'd only really notice it in the evenings. A few days ago there was a noticable increase in the volume, so much so that even when I'm watching tv or talking to someone I can hear it. I do have a bit of a cold at the minute and there is a bit of extra pressure around the ear, could this be whats causing it?

Has any long term sufferers ever experienced this sudden increase in volume of ringing in the ears?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Greg,

I would say it is very likely your T has spiked because of your cold. I had T about 11 years and mine always gets worse during a cold and I think most other members here would agree.

All you can do is try not to focus on it or worry and wait until your cold has completely gone...hopefully by then it will have settled back to its normal level.

Rhea x

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the response Rhea. Since you mentioned that you've had it 11 years, can I ask have you experienced change in pitch or volume outside of any type of illness?

Thanks Again!

4. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Greg,

I am not going to lie to you, my t was not too harsh years 1-6 then 6 - now it has increased by quite a bit - the reason why?...who knows....I do over protect my ears...I use plugs a lot the last 2 years especially so maybe it's that, maybe it just gets worse on it's own for no reason, maybe it's any one of a million other things. Most of the increase has been a gradual thing...like I can't really pinpoint specific moments where it has jumped up I am just 100% sure now that it is much louder/more tones etc than it was when it started.

I have had spikes after accidental noise incidents but in general they seem to calm down after a while or maybe I just get used to the new volume. All I can say for sure with me is there are good weeks and bad weeks and there are times i feel I can't go on...and then a few weeks later I will find myself having a nice day and not being too bothered by it.

Please realize this isn't the case for everyone, lots of people have t that stays the same or even gets better...so just because mine has got worse doesn't mean that will be the case for other people.

I have also become an expert in having hope lol ....I remain cautiously optimistic that one day they will find a way to silence this stupid noise...that thought helps to keep me going.

Wait our your cold...don't worry too much until then , it is very likely it will settle x

Rhea x

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reply, that's all good advice. I'll try my best to get on with it for the moment and see how it goes.

6. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This has been my experience too. 5 years now and getting worse very slowly.

A week ago I was exposed to 85-95 dB during Apple keynote and now I have a faint nightly morse code added to my orchestra. I don't know even know if that was the cause. I plug a lot but just to decrease the level 15dB. I don't live in silence.

I subscribe to that too. The cure is not on sight yet, but who knows. 10 years ago I spend some nights in constant physical pain and I learnt to live one moment at the time and blank my head. Count your blessings you could say. There are good and bad days, I keep living and get the most of the good parts.

7. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Keep in mind increase can be caused by progressive hearing loss from noise, disease, age and ototoxic meds. You never know someones individual condition and lifestyle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmm, everybody's experience seems to be different. I can honestly say for the best part of 8 years it's never gotten any worse really. I've worn earplugs when appropriate and seriously cut down on alcohol or anything else that may aggrivate it. We get a yearly medical in work and part of it is a hearing test, nothing has been noted in terms of loss of hearing as of yet so I'm a bit baffled in regards to the sudden increase in volume.

9. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      hey rhea... do you think that you overprotected before your tinnitus worsened as well?

10. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I wonder when t is connected spifically to hearing loss, when hearing loss increases, at that point, so might the t.

11. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      IMO, T is related to anything where nerves are related especially in the head.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      I agree with @Jay M ; the auditory system is incredibly complex -- especially in the neurological centers. In fact, it's rather amazing a bazillion other things don't go wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Mpt I have always been cautious but only started OVER protecting about 3 years ago.

I have zero hearing loss that shows on standard audiogram..in fact I have above average hearing -in the words of my ENT - "you have the hearing of an 18 year old" ....go figure

14. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You also have the looks of an 18 year old :puppykisses:

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @dan LOL...haha you wally :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      yeah, it's the same for me. I hear EVERYTHING!!!

• Like Like x 1
    17. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I had a test done and was told that i have slight (few db) lost at 4K, but at the same time I hear very detailed sounds that almost nobody can hear. My T is high freq, but as of today i still can hear above 16000 -18000hz so I wonder what freq the T coming from? Can you have T at lets say 16000hz and still hear at 16000hz?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Went to my Gp today. She said there was a "considerable" amount of fluid in my left ear and prescribed drops. She was of the opinion the tinnitus has worsened because of it and should return to normal. Anyone else experience this or have an opinion, thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Fluid in the ears will definitely increase volume, but careful with the ear drops man make sure they aren't ototoxic. @Telis can tell you personally how sketchy those can be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Rhea, just curious if you know what initially triggered your original onset? I too have zero hearing loss. My trigger was local anesthetic at the same time as a menstrual migraine. Doctors think it is centrally related rather than inner ear. But then again, who really knows. Sigh.

21. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Lisa88 My t was 99.9% caused by exposure to loud noise....it started immediately after I left a nightclub where I had been stood by the speakers for hours on end (idiot) I was taking a medication at the time - whether that played a part also who knows..but noise definitely was the trigger.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      It would be very useful to know if your T is from hearing loss above 8000.

23. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Jay M - yeah but that would require me to have a hearing test and be exposed to super high pitch tones...I'm not really up for that sorry lol....#noisephobia

Well I am pretty sure my t isn't over 8khz in tone..so at least that blows the theory that t is at the same hz as the hearing loss.....

24. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      My experience is 'T' is going to do what it wants. I've had several relapses and have habituated to all of them. I am currently in my 4th month of a relapse. It usually take 12-18 months to calm down.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Feeling pretty desperate now. Day 6 of this new volume and have myself phyisically sick thinking about it. Would love to hear more from anyone thats experienced similar.

26. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      First relapse ?

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Im not sure what relapse means here jay? My t has been a constant level 8 years, this is the first time its gotten louder. Is a relapse a permanent thing?

Thanks

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Im not sure what relapse means here jay? My t has been a constant level 8 years, this is the first time its gotten louder. Is a relapse a permanent thing?

Thanks

29. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T unchanged for me for 20 years. Plenty of noise exposure over that time with protection used. No discernible change in volume. Spike 8 months ago. T went from a 2 to a 5 (1-10 scale). Yet, over about 5 months it settled down to around a 3. I believe the signal is louder than pre-spike, but not by a whole lot. Like many say, you get accustomed to the new level and move on. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reply mike, its given me comfort to hear it settled down a it for you. Id also say I was a 2 and am now about 4or 5. With any luck it might settle as yours did.