All Things Are Possible to Him Who Believes.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joe P. Tamborra, Apr 18, 2015.

1. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That would be their right to say that!

2. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Notice how it's always Christian Archaeologists who are finding so called bible relics!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ark-found-in-turkey-science-religion-culture/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Searches_for_Noah's_Ark

"The following statement by ark-seeker Richard Carl Bright illustrates how the search for the ark has become a religious quest, thought to be dependent on God's blessing for its success. Bright is also confident that there is a multinational government conspiracy to hide the "truth" about the ark:

How convenient.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      I'm truly sorry if you think I'm bulling you, that is not my intention! I am als sorry you get bullied allot. If you find strength in your faith, that is perfect! I would say keep on going! I have no problem with people believing in something or anything.

Why I decided to react in this topic is because the topic starter started this topic with the intention to win some souls for the christian faith. Atleast, that is the fibe I'm getting from it (start praying and you might be cured, and if not etc etc ---> god works in mysterious ways).

Again, if you want to talk about how faith (and god) helps you....start a thread about it, but do not start a thread that is trying to win some souls. I feel that a tinnitus sufferer needs to be protected form this "god" fantasy in the same way we need to be protected form snake oil saleman's cures for tinnitus. I really do not understand why this delusion is still accepted in the modern world (and if I tell people I talk to elfs I end up in a mental hospital).

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Perhaps it is because they converted.....(y)

http://www.changinglives.org.au/item-by-category/books/item/360-there-is-a-god.html

I struggle every day trying to believe. I wish I had a much stronger faith. I have witnessed so many believers who live in peace in spite of the most debilitating trials. That is all I want....PEACE and JOY in spite of it all!

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Hey Steve, Glad to here your making it. Paul the Apostle was given a thorn in the flesh in ( 2 Cor.12:7), and for this infirmity he prayed 3 times for help, but God told him that the grace of God was sufficient for him.Jesus prayed three times for the trip to the cross to depart from Him, but we now know that He had to go to the cross. Sometimes God makes us go through the hardships we face for His own purposes.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Hey Lynn, thanks for the encouragement. Keep on keeping on.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Hey Shadgirl, I sure appreciate your positive feedback. Keep seeking the Lord and He
      will see you through all the hardships you face. Always remember God loves you in spite of the
      problems you face.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Sj, you can believe what you wish, but I am just testifying what happened to me in my life.
      It is no story, this is a literal event that took place in my life, and there are many witnesses
      to prove the validity of it. God helped me endure a tramatic experience I hope you never have
      to face. And Sj, I completely understand a lot of foolish preachers have given religion a bad name
      to solicit money from unsuspecting foolish people; however I do not have my hand out for a single penny, and furthermore I work hard for my money. So I hope you are not comparing me to the
      ignorant Televangelists who are trying to gain wealth from other peoples hardships.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Teri, faith is developed by seeking after God. The way we build faith
      is through bible study and prayer.

10. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Which brings us full circle! :banghead:

How can one find peace and solace or faith for that matter in a book that threatens our lives and the lives of our family and off spring with hardship, famine, pain, curse's, plagued with diseases, your woman will be raped, all for not believing!
      Which we all know happens to whoever believers and non believers alike.

That is on top of references to wars, murder and unspeakable acts of violence referenced all the way through it!

The only person that had anything decent to say in the bible was Jesus, he never spoke of violence or war, makes me wonder why he even bothered to contribute or make an appearance!:LOL:

• Like Like x 1
    11. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I don't believe I have ever stated that their is no God on this thread, or that origins of the universe were not created but just happened by chance!

Why, just because one thinks the bible is a crock and that religion is one of the roots of all evil does one get labeled as not believing in a creator or a God?

12. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      o,telescope,instrument of much knowledge,more precious than any sceptre,is it not he who holds thee in his hand made king and lord of the works of god....johannes kepler ( ancient astronomer ), well said my ancient mentor,i dont need a bible when i have the universe , i am blessed !

• Like Like x 1
    13. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No mention of religion either, coming to the conclusion that their has to be a creator does not give credence to a book, namely the bible, that teaches mans word, which is obvious when wars, violence, stoning to death, beating your children, sacrificing live animals to appease a made up mans idea of what a God is are regularly talked about as being condoned by this God!

Obviously whoever made these books up had allot of the old Greek Gods in mind especially with live sacrifices being part of the norm!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      richl,
      you are a smart man,once human hands have touched the book " bible " it could have been tampered with over the millennium without us layman ever knowing it !

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you @astronomer , as obviously you are as well!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Hey Rich, One thing I know we have in common, we both like the words of Jesus.:) Rich
      we are not always going to agree, but I still appreciate you.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Astronomer, If God was smart enough to inspire the writings in
      the book, He is well able to preserve the authenticity of it. Just saying.

18. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i would say not,this is free will on this planet,we can do anything at will ! , some of the biggest criminals in the world have been priests bishops and ministers of the highest ranks, i would not trust where their fingerprints have been

19. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      48057_original.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Shaun
      Tolerant

Shaun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      This is am interesting thread because there are so many different opinions,which is good but not all can be right.what I don't think is healthy is calling people brainwashed or pointing out silly grammar or spelling mistakes I think that's no particulary helpful and childish,next you will be calling them names grow up.to be Honest I think the nonbelievers long for God but there own egos and pride get in the way.
      Anyway back to thread I'm with Joe on this one Im a firm believer in God and his son Jesus Christ the one who came to Establish a relationship with us and who many reject but in my experience he is real as I am writing this now,and the end of the day it's about experience and through that I have come to know christ.how? Through prayer and also through the Eucharist.
      I am a devout Catholic I attend mass regulary for spiritual strength and healing which I believe is attained in Eucharist,which us catholics believe is literally the body and blood of Christ himself.how is explained by science? it's not that's why it's called the sacred mystery and requires faith.I'm am only speaking from my own experience I'm not trying to push my Beliefs onto anyone I am just pointing out you cannot judge how somebody deals with t or life in general,everyone has there own path each one unique to them,as long as it helps them and they hurt no one then let them be this life is hard enough.
      have I still got t yes does it bother me anymore of course but I believe everything happens for a reason my life is better now I have a better relationship with God.I'm not a bible basher far from it I'm just a bloke who happens to believe I'm something beyond this 3dimensional experience.
      as I pointed out you all have more than enough strength within each of you for dealing with t as whatever helps you and gives you peace I wish you all the best.
      2 Corinthians 12:9
      Jesus is Lord.

21. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hi,we all have our differences and beliefs, my wife goes to church, i choose to believe my religion under the universe, as a stargazer since the age of 9 i grew up under the universe that has the power to amaze and to heal, nothing personal, but i dont like being preached at by other human beings,being under a countryside starlit night is where its at for me,if there were more humans to indulge in the world of astronomy there would be peace on earth, and no war, honest,there is no childess here,we are all respectable adult people,we all have the right to freedom of speech and my right is to say that gods wish has not been fulfilled,the heavens are above us and what us astronomers appreciate, so many ignore,what a waste ! you my friends would love to be under the night sky canopy with me my friends, it is where the soul belongs,i would not trade my life for anyone, i truly am blessed,i wish you all the best but i am following my instincts and that is i need to be alone under the universe to cleanse my soul,astronomy, the oldest science , one of the true hidden secrets of religion,but we dont preach it as we know we are already blessed souls,i have no doubt in my mind,i have choosen the right path in life and that is to pace myself with the universe, a true spiritual uplifting,no matter what i love you all

• Like Like x 1
    22. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      I do not think you are trying to get some money of use tinnitus sufferers, but I do think your are "selling" something, and that something is "faith". And if people have faith.....the church has power over them.....slightly more valuable than money. This is not a personal remark, but one directed to any religion in general.....they want power over people en faith is a damn nice tool....DAMN nice. This does not mean I am accusing you (personally) of doing this.

I do not question that you have a story and that god or faith might have helped you. But, your story is hardly of the testimonial type. The only thing I'm getting from it is: if I'm a smart fellow of should start praying this instant. If I read that....I just need to....I NEED to counteract that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Do you know what the problem is with the discussion of believers and non-believers?

spoiler: you think everything you say is about god, faith and the lord important and of some kind of deeper meaning.

If I read stuff like the above text I either want:
      1. to bang my head against the wall.
      2. to fall down and roll over the floor laughing.

BTW, if there was a god...she must be a woman. A man ---> the creator of life....that is just ridiculous. Just saying....

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I find the Bible to be a fascinating read. My opinion is that not all books of the Bible are not literal. When I pick up the Bible to read, I think about it as being library. Some of the books are fiction with a message, some as realistic fiction (the parables of Christ for example) that additionally teach, Poetry/Songs (Psalms), Self help (proverbs), Biography of Christ (Gospels) Revelation (cryptic foreshadowing of the Mass).

One passage that really troubled me is why God wanted Abraham to kill his son, Isaac. I thought about how Abraham felt when God asked him to do this ghastly act. Then I came to realize that it was never about sacrificing Isaac but a foreshadowing to Christ. God's plan from the onset was to sacrifice his own son. God being perfected in the true sense of love, losing his son was more intense than what we experience as a loss.

I don't personally feel that reading the Bible has made me more mean, selfish, or stupid @attheedgeofscience Honestly, I consider myself a fairly nice person. :love: I have found it helps me to think about living better and being less selfish. Hopefully it has made me smarter. LOL My goal is to at some point to become a true believer....I mean really, truly have faith resulting in having peace and joy.

• Creative Creative x 1
    25. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      I'm just going to call out your one statement. I believe in letting people alone with their beliefs. I don't share the same thoughts as "religious" people but I'm not here to try to convince someone not to believe unless their belief impacts me. This statement crosses a line.

I do not and do not need to believe in god or a religion. I understand the need for others to, though. I do not have either my own ego or what pride get in the way and while I don't know you see this somewhat insulting. I've known enough people to be able to say this is the same for them but for countless others, I don't know. As I will never say:
      1. I represent info tech (I don't, I worked in the field for my career).
      2. I happen to be lesbian and I do not represent them, even though many of those I know are.
      3. I am deaf but do not represent the majority of deaf people and will not write for them.

• Like Like x 2
    26. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      preach-the-gospel-assisi-237o6vm.jpg
      I have an opinion like other posters in this thread.
      I believe in God.
      I believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
      I believe that all my past and future sins and sicknesses were crucified on the cross with Jesus. He took the punishment that I rightfully deserve.
      I try my best to model my life by the teachings of Bible, but ultimately fail because I am a sinner. However, I am not going to lose my life because of what Jesus did for me. Instead I will have eternity with him in heaven. Something to look forward too, a place with no sickness, no hurt, no pain, no suffering and NO TINNITUS! :D
      The bible says if you love God, then you would follow his commandments and so I do this to the best of my ability, yet repent daily because I am not perfect and I need his grace.
      Jesus said in the bible that if you abide in him, then he will abide in you and everything you ask for in prayer will be given to you.
      Jesus said that if you have the faith of a mere mustard seed, then you can say move to this mountain and it will move.
      I believe that my suffering with tinnitus is numbered. I believe with all my heart that Jesus is going to heal me of this affliction and set me free. In the meantime I will follow the guidance of the bible and keep my faith, my hope and my trust in the saving grace of my lord, Jesus Christ.
      Samuel spent over 10 years in prison before he was released. Abraham waited until he was an old man before his son Issac was born to him. Moses lived in exile for decades before he was to return to Egypt and his people. King David lived in hiding fearing for his life for over a decade before he assumed the throne of Israel. Life is not easy and God does not promise that it will be, but he does promise to be with you through the whole journey. He rewards faith by answering prayers. He is a good father!
      This is my opinion. You are welcome to yours. I won't debate the subject but I will make myself available to anyone who wishes to discuss it in a private message. If you are interested in learning about Jesus just let me know in a PM and I will happily share the Gospel with you.

Peace!

27. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      @Shaun I do wish i could believe but it has nothing to do with my ego. I wish i believed in a god and that there would be life after this but i just don't know. I believe in what can be proven, unfortunately science doesn't care about what i wish.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      I
      wish there was a God as well....but from what I see around me and what I experience (or the lack thereof)...It seems very far fetched.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    29. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Oh, I would never include you as one of the people referred to in the quote by Christopher Hitchens. :)

But it is perhaps worthwhile to take note of some of the key words mentioned within his quote such as "conclusive evidence" for instance. "Conclusive evidence" means it is not a point of discussion but rather a fact. And as someone who prefers facts, I should also like to point out the following figures which has the number of deaths estimated due to the larger religious wars having been fought over the centuries:

upload_2015-5-4_12-37-21.png

Even if a person goes by the lower estimate, there still have been some seven million people slaughtered in the name of God. The attentive reader will of course take note of the fact that two of those wars were fought as recently as our very own generation!

More recently, the ultra extremist religious group ISIS "decided" to burn a man alive (in a cage). In the interest of documenting the facts I would be "happy" to post a picture of the event here, but the picture makes me sick to the very core of my soul - and I am not someone who is easily offended (that's for sure!). The counter argument to the burning of the pilot and ISIS would be that they, ISIS, are indeed ultra extremists. That may be so, but let's just remind ourselves that burning people alive "on the stakes" was what The Church has practiced frequently in the past for crimes such as heresy. "Heresy" of course is/was nothing but having an opinion different to that of the church. And people were burned for that? Alive?!? And without a proper trial - and which consisted of confession using torture (= "Holy Inquisition")?!? And we call western religion civilized? I thought the church was meant to be a place of caring for the weak and fragile (among other things)? Shall I post that picture of the burning pilot?

The following is a quote from Wikipedia from its page on the author, Mr. Sam Harris:
      The above is an attempt to bring some facts to the discussion. I do like facts, because unlike opinions, they cannot be disputed.

And very lastly, and for the record (i.e. facts), here is a list of torture devices and methods employed by the Roman Catholic Church throughout the various periods of existence (or "rule" I should say...):
      1. The Rack
      2. The Stocks
      3. Water Torture
      4. The Heretics Fork
      5. The Pear
      6. The Branks
      7. The Wheel
      8. The Breast Ripper
      9. Hanging cages
      10. The Garotte
      11. The Head Crusher
      12. Burnt at the Stake
      13. The Iron Maiden
      14. The Strappado
      15. The Boots
      16. Judas Cradle
      17. The Guillotine
      The above devices are probably best "appreciated" with an accompanying picture - I leave the interested reader to track that down. However, one thing is clear: The Church was seemingly as busy being creative with regards to how best to torture people as it was doing the service of God.

attheedgeofscience
      04/MAY/2015.

30. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      @attheedgeofsciences

The grisly depiction of the distorted acts in the name of "religion" is depressing. I try to think about the positive effects that faith in God can bring. I like reading about all the beautiful folks who lived their lives for God trying to make a difference. Two books I just finished reading were about Dorthy Day and Mother Teresa....amazing women! I have never been a religious person. However, I have found that reading the Bible and other faith books have given me some peace in my life. If it is just a crutch, then I will take it! The last few years have been very difficult for me...too much death of young people in my family as well as a downturn in my health.

In terms of a death count and torture chambers....this was an interesting post I noticed on facebook. For those who do not consider abortion as the killing of a human life this will have no impact. But if you do think about a fetus as a little one it will have some meaning.

530789_10152400236940147_991362242_n.png

Hopefully, I will not open a "can of worms" with this post. I realize the abortion issue is controversial.