Almost Every Noise Spikes My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by AnthonyMcDonald, Nov 18, 2021.

1. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced/Neurological/Unknown
      Hello. I have been experiencing suicidal levels of tinnitus, and it keeps getting worse. I have very severe loudness hyperacusis too.

What I want to ask is - why is my tinnitus spiking so easily (almost daily) to noise that shouldn't even be considered loud? (I'm talking 50-60 decibels max). It's already gotten so loud.

Please, I need some input. My hair cells can't be dying from such low noise exposure!

• Hug Hug x 7
    2. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I'm very sorry to hear about your sensitivity, @AnthonyMcDonald.
      To me, it looks like the loudness hyperacusis is the culprit for this, or at least some over-sensitivity in the brain. I deprived myself of sound for two weeks in February, and it began spiking to 20 dB sound; there was no trauma involved. The spikes were quite benign; always receding in 20 minutes or so, until March where I was hit by a semi-loud noise which worsened the sensitivity to such a degree that spikes now could last days from simple conversations or a running tap.
      I agree, I can't believe they're being damaged. In my personal case, I don't see this as ear damage, but rather a "calibration" that has gone complete bonkers in the brain. Too little sound and it worsen, too much and it worsen - seems like an awful balance.

I'm pretty much in the same situation, so I can't give any recommendation.

I know exactly how hard it is to deal with, and I sincerely hope you make a recovery,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello Stacken, thanks for the reply.

I have read your case and I do agree that we are similar in many ways. Unfortunately my spikes have never gone down after appearing, or I just haven't given them the chance to, either way. There is always too much noise where I am, and I have a feeling that the spikes keep stacking on top of each other.

I agree with what you say about the brain. There's no way that this has anything to do with hair cells, rather the hyperacusis.

Hope you recover too.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. GeorgeLG
      Depressed

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower after yrs of rock guitar, constr & comp shooting
      My tinnitus gets louder after nearly every sound exposure but it goes back to baseline. Louder sounds give me ear pain. My baseline got progressively worse in the beginning but has leveled off.

I am at the point that tinnitus rarely bothers me and I spend a great deal of my day not thinking it about it even though its louder now. I achieved this by modifying how I think about tinnitus and how I react to it. There are many techniques to achieve this, a recent thread here called Back to Silence highlights one of them.

I hope you find relief,
      George

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey George. Thanks for the reply.

My tinnitus never goes back to baseline (or so far hasn't) after noise exposure. Unfortunately I think habituating or not thinking about such severe tinnitus and hyperacusis is quite impossible, imo.

6. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I agree. When my spikes always went back in 20 minutes or so, between February and March, I completely habituated to the reactivity and lived a pretty good life. I never got prolonged worsening and my sensitivity stayed the same.

The defining factor is if we get permanently/prolonged worsening from normal activities, or that which is required of us. At that point, isolation is our only option, and habituating or accepting complete isolation can be very hard to deal with mentally.

I would still say that the spikes I get nowadays usually recede or improve, but I think the baseline definitely has increased gradually over the recent months. But I understand what you're going through; it simply is one of the most distressing types of tinnitus that the average sufferer won't be able to imagine.

Wish you well,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Adelaide14

Adelaide14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @AnthonyMcDonald. I don’t seem to have temporary spikes either. It’s utter crap. Any increase I have to my baseline doesn’t settle down. My tolerance to sound seems to be getting worse as things that didn’t effect me a few months ago now make me wince. I’m desperately trying not to overprotect but when there’s new, louder noises appearing daily (weekly if I’m lucky) I’m not sure there’s much else that can be done.

Have you seen an audiologist?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm very sorry to hear that, @Adelaide14.
      Could you elaborate on what you mean by "overprotection"? I've been using hearing protection literally 24 hours a day for months; I consider that overprotection, and I think that can mess up the sound tolerance in the brain given enough time. But I don't consider using hearing protection for moderate noise over protection, even though our doctors disagree.

Here's my take; if we can improve our sensitivity with sound enrichment (which is not for everyone in every case), we shouldn't expose ourselves to sounds that makes us wince - we don't build tolerance by doing so, instead we risk getting a setback. If we can be exposed to a set of sounds that do not make us wince, and better yet, do not spike us, then that's good.

Wish you well,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 1
    9. Wrfortiscue
      Probing

Wrfortiscue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Have you thought about doing slow decibel increments Stacken? Like change out earmuffs or earplugs slowly to increase more sound?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have seen an audiologist. Unfortunately, predictably, they were of now help whatsoever. My hearing loss is mild-moderate, and I'm quite sure I had hearing loss before my onset of tinnitus due to me having to ask people to repeat themselves quite often. Why my tinnitus and hyperacusis decided to appear now? God knows.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Adelaide14

Adelaide14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Stacken77,

No I’m not wearing protection to the level you are. My use of the word overprotection is probably directly linked to the view of my audiologist. I do think trying to follow the advice from medical staff has lead to my tinnitus worsening. It’s tricky when multiple people tell you not to overprotect for every day noise (one ENT told me to sit with a plate and strike it with cutlery until the noise doesn’t make me flinch. That bit of advice I did not follow... madness)

I wear ear defenders at work and around the house if I’m washing up or doing what I perceive to be noisy jobs. If I leave the house for any reason I wear ear plugs but I do find if I wear them too long I get nasty earache which will result in a spike.

So perhaps you’re right and I need to be upping my level of protection despite what I’ve been told. The longer I have this condition the more I’m convinced the medical professionals (that I’ve come into contact with anyway) actually know very little. It would be refreshing if they came out and said that instead of repeating the same unhelpful mantras!

12. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, and I think that would make things easier. I'm just stupid, and have my priorities in the wrong place. I should go on sick leave now, but the circumstances have made it a tough decision. I'll probably do it sooner or later, I'm just hoping that the increased sound will fix it eventually anyway.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I thought so. I'm just going to break it to you; the medical establishment aren't a very good giver of advice regarding our conditions. Even my doctor have acknowledged how little we know about ear problems.

In my very own first hand experience, and from reading this forum, it seems that; yes, we do get more sensitive to sound if we deprive ourselves of it, but it takes a lot of protection for some time to actually do this. But it also seems we can get worse if we are exposed to too much sound. I had a 2 hour conversation in March, and I remember that quite a lot of sounds made me wince during that episode, and after that my tolerance to sound dropped really bad.

So I think a good rule of thumb is; to avoid sounds that makes us wince, but still enrich ourselves with sound that are comfortable. If you can listen to some low level music on speakers, then that's good, or take a walk in nature.

I think we can make a recovery, I really hope so,
      Stacken

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Wrfortiscue
      Probing

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Great... you should recover eventually, I mean sound exposure has to help some.

15. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope so. The problem is usually this; I go a few days and take in more sound, everything seems to work out pretty alright, the spikes are there but not too bad - until it all culminates in a serious spike where I simply have to retreat to silence. I stay in 24/7 hearing protection, the spike usually subsides after a few days, at least to quite a big extent, but after those days, all my previous progress of desensitization are erased.

I know desensitization is real, at least in my personal case, I've seen improvements where less sounds make me wince, but the spikes are what makes me surrender each time.

Again, I'm a firm believer in protecting our hearing, but this 24/7 crap cannot be good, I will never believe that. But what's one supposed to do when life's in a Catch 22? - Don't really know.

Thank you for existing buddy, @Wrfortiscue.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. Wrfortiscue
      Probing

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I hear you. I have delayed spikes to sound so I don’t even know what’s spiking me anymore lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1