Am I Overreacting? Experiencing a Spike of Unknown Cause

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elfin, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi all,

I am enduring a spike of cause I am unsure.

Exposures faced yesterday: group meeting at work (8 people) where there was some clapping and loudish group talking (with people talking over each other) and a firework let off privately near the roadside as I was driving home (it was bonfire night), which must have been around 25m from the car.

I am wearing earplugs a lot and had them in during the meeting. I had had a migraine two days prior so wonder if sound sensitivity also due to this. Concerned that the overuse on plugs may have increased sound sensitivity also.

Driving home, I had the plugs in in the car and all windows sealed so hoping that negated a lot of the fireworks bang.

Appreciate any feedback and rationality as I am now in the ruminating cycle and have a spike which is dragging me low.

Support very much welcome!

Thank you gang

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi Elfin, the cycle continues, buddy.

Can you remember what you were worrying about 5 events ago? Or 10 events ago? How about 50 events ago?

You are in a cycle of: trigger > reaction > anxiety/bad thoughts/feelings (physiological reaction) > seek reassurance.

Every time someone offers you reassurance they are effectively enabling you. In the long run it’s counterproductive and will make you dependent upon this reassurance just to function. My mom went through all this with her OCD.

You must try and break this downward spiral of behaviour because it’s not helping you. I’m trying to give you some tough love here because I really want to see you improve and get better. I’m always here for you, but I already know that this event will be forgotten and replaced with multiple other ones. At some point you will have worried about so many other sounds that this event will be ancient history.

I think you were worried about a noise on the underground - whilst wearing protection - about 5 events ago. However, I know that you have these events so frequently that I’ve lost count, and it’s driven by your anxiety and emotions towards sound. It will not stop until you address the fundamental problem, and that’s your extreme phonophobia.

I hope you can objectively see this pattern of behaviour? Did your hearing therapist offer any further support? I’m not sure what else to suggest that will get to the bottom of your problem and help you. Have you tried psychotherapy or CBT? If you haven’t it may be worth a shot. You ultimately need to reprogram how your brain is reacting to all these external sounds so that you can eliminate the overbearing physical response.

The example you gave in your post is another stress spike. It’s your extreme fear that you have damaged your ears that is causing the unnecessary distress.

• Like Like x 2
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Elf,

my dear friend. Please start dealing with your anxiety better. This is the only thing, that is still getting you at times. You are going out and living your life (kudos to you), you need to gain some traction on the anxiety/stress. majority of your issues stems from your anxiety/stress. You seem to always use single or double protection for your ears, it's that anxiety that rattles your tinnitus.

You are not alone. anxiety/stress is a HUGE culprit and it can rain on all of our parades. I care for you and your well being, so please make it a resolution from now till 2019 that you deal with your stress/anxiety better. There are many ways to do this and meds are not always needed.....

Take care!

4. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      When did the spike start?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      @Allan1967 spike was noticeable as soon as I got into bed last night. Awful and still rages on now.

@Ed209 and @fishbone thanks fellas. I am in a cycle of anxiety and stress right now; the noise just rages louder than before. trying to keep moving and going forward but its stopping me in my tracks and has me right now. Objectively it is louder and that is what worries me.

Gonna try and go to the gym in a bit. Pray that it settles down so I can regain a semblance of sanity.

Common sense is trying to tell me that I should be ok and that it will settle, but the ringing and raging in the ears is telling me something else!