An Awful Experience... Just Got Back From The Dentist

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rhea, Apr 29, 2015.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Telis,

Yes I am completely aware that being sedated will not protect my ears in any way....try explaining that to the dentists....they just don't "get it". But as far as my options go....being sedated is the only way I will be able to not cry and shake so they can actually get the drilling done..other than that having them all pulled is the only other option...I was just trying to recover from the terrible experience I had with the drilling a couple weeks back..I was going to get over that then think about how to move forward...but then this tooth started hurting so now I have no choice but to go and get this one pulled......roll on 4pm, cannot wait to get this evil piece of shit out of my mouth.

By the way, been taken high dose of Codeine last few days and it either lowers my t or just makes me not give a shit about it, but, I guess it could also be the fact I am far too distracted by the tooth pain to concentrate on the t :|

Will let you know how it goes later .... I fear they will need to drill though as the tooth that needs to come out is "bridged" by a composite filling to the tooth next to it, so maybe they will need to drill to break the seal between the two......I will just have to man up and deal with it because there is no way I am leaving the dentist with this thing still in my mouth,.........sigh

2. stelar

stelar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985
      Just pull all your teeth out and leave two in front for opening cans.

• Funny Funny x 2
    3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Hi Rhea,

I think if you were ok from the last visit as far as your T goes, you will be fine this time too :) good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi @Rhea sorry you going through all this crap right now, I can empathise with you because I was in a similar situation last year. First time going to the dentist with T was because I had a painless lump on my gum, turned out to be an abscess from a failed filling from a root canal (lasted around 10 years) and I was undecided if I should go for a tricky root canal with only a slim chance of being effective, so I decided it wouldn't be worth all the drilling/hassle of a root canal if it fails again so I had it pulled out, following week sucked because I was paranoid about getting dry socket lol, all was fine though but having a tooth extracted is the best diet because I couldn't eat much for a week and ending up losing quite abit of weight! Lol, but the T was fine after extraction. :)

I was told I needed 3 fillings as well but I was too scared of the drilling so I put it off, managed 6 whole months without but after a weekend of toothache I took the plunge and went for it!....went in with earplugs, but as you know yourself the occlusion effect with earplugs is loud!....I actually managed 10 minutes with the earplugs in but when the dentist moved from the high speed drill (for the enamel) to the low speed drill (for the dentine) it got even louder so I couldn't take it anymore and took the plugs out!...and the noise was greatly reduced! :) Only managed to get 2 out of the 3 filling done on that day, was due to get the last one done a week later but 4 days after the dental work my T started playing up, a weird buzzing sensation, sounded like a swarm of bees! Lol, I was convinced it was due to the drilling or mercury fillings I had fitted (NHS what can you do), so I cancelled the last appointment to have the one remaining filling to be done, followed by a few pretty depressing weeks in December last year wondering if I would regret going to the dentists forever with my T playing up.... BUT....a couple of weeks later the spike went back down again! :) I've since come to the conclusion the spike 4 days after the dentist had nothing to do with getting the fillings done, more than likely congestion/sinus issues I seem to be having the past few years!....but it all resolved and the T went back down again.

I feel slightly guilty that I didn't update my spike resolving with my thread there for anyone looking into dental work stories, but I just wanted to say my T is fine now, I would have no issues going to get that last filling done (OK maybe that's a lie but I don't think I had issues with the dental work), in fact reading this thread has reminded me I should get it done! :)

Excuse the rambling message!

Hope everything went well at the dentist!

Mick

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ok I am back! The little bastard is out! No drilling needed and not even any suction so earplugs where unnecessary. I was so worked up going in, scared and alone, crying but the dentist and dental nurse where amazing and compassionate, the nurse even held my hand at one point...that got me crying even more....a little human compassion goes a long way in a word where most people don't understand or care. They were amazing and thanked them both..will send them a thank you card to show my appreciation. So tooth is out...no pain, no noise, I am so happy. So two teeth sorted and another 5/6 to go. I feel very drained tonight, relived but drained, I cannot put into words the fear I feel going into the dentist...and this after effect is like a come down after a huge rush of emotions....I was an emotional person before T...now i'm even worse lol

T is going crazy right now..either from the mass amount of meds I have take last few days or maybe even just the stress of it all .....will take it easy for a few days and hope things settle.

Thanks for the messages and support x

thanks @mick1987 that was a great message for me to read right now and very encouraging x So glad your spike settled x

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. luka

luka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      and
      So congrats, :) I wish you as much as possible those happy moments that happen even while T is roaring. :)

7. Opiates really spike my T and H to unbearable levels..maybe if you stop that you will notice a reduction :) Glad you had no issues at your dental appointment.

8. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Could be a bad idea, Rhea. Drugs may reduce your ears ability to endure loud noise. I suggest n-acetylcysteine that instead will offer your inner ear some protection. Check out the thread here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/n-acetylcysteine-nac.395/

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hmm ... If I get trouble with a tooth, I probably require my dentist to pull it out. I know dentists may have nostalgic ideas about "saving a tooth", but honestly, if someone has a problem with pulling teeth they should look for another job. Besides, if I cared about my looks in the first place, I wouldn't need to have a smiling in the dark as my avatar.

• Funny Funny x 2
    10. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes @NiNyu is indeed horrible, but most of the time in a charming way. It's okay to be a horrible person if it's charmingly. You can take my word for it, I've made sure to check it up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. TerryMac
      Supportive

TerryMac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accustic Trauma
      Hi Rhea!

I am right there with you! I was at the dentist yesterday and it caused a bad spike. I had been in a really good place for weeks: no problems or anxious reactions, I could always hear it but rarely noticed it. I was in the best shape I had been in my six weeks of tinnitus.

It was the darned water pick thingy! It was the same high pitched frequency as my T. Also, I used a plug (thinking I was being safe!) and it was horrible. I pulled it out after a minute but the damage was done. My T was much louder. I was bummed...

But then I just did what we all have to do, which is nothing. It is there, I accept it and I got on with the rest of my day. I moaned about it to my wife once (she needs to live with me, so I limit my complaints) and then cooked dinner, played with the kids and all that. It was really loud when I went to sleep, which sucked and I could fell the demon of panic sneaking up on me. But I took at deep breath, thought about my heroes with T (Darwin, Leonard Nemoy and Steve Martin are mine!) and I just read a book until it fell on my face and just went to sleep.

So, I am always trying to find a balance between being a forward thinking pragmatist (what can I do to lessen T or, more likely, minimize the chance of a spike) and being a calm stoic (I have it, bodies all fall apart, I am not my body, we must all bear up bravely as best we can.) So, I learned NOT to do the plug at the dentist. I learned to let them know and to ask for the old fashioned pick and not the water pick. I will ask them to use drills in bursts and to use the lowest possible frequency drill possible. But, at the end of the day, my leading a good life depends much more on my cultivating an attitude of resolution, optimism and humor than any events that happen. I try to be smart about not taking needless risks with the T, but I also remind myself that it will get loud again, and that that is OK.

Thank you to all the great people on here! You've all saved me more than once in the last six months!

Cheers and be well

Terry

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hi @Rhea :) I've just gone thru your story and am wondering how it went on ? Did the spike settle ? What did you do with your 5 other teeth ? Thank you in advance.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi @Gosia

I cannot tell if I had a permanent spike due to the drilling...but I don't think so....my T is worse in both ears of late, but I don't think it was because of the drilling...but as always, this whole t saga is a mystery and it is impossible to tell.

Right now I have done nothing about all the other teeth that need sorting, accepting for brushing them like crazy after everything I eat in an attempt to avoid them getting any worse. I will have to stop burying my head in the sand though and go and get the rest sorted eventually....just so much easier short term to put it off rather than deal with the fear of the drilling....silly I know. Thanks for reminding me about it...I will put it on next weeks "to do list" ;)

14. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If you need any large amounts of drilling, instead opt for a sleep and get the tooth or teeth pulled. It seems preferable to the agony of the noise for those who suffer with hypercusis. I only have it sporadically like the T and bouncy vision. My symptoms are all sporadic and weird. So I can't imagine how it would be to suffer with hyperacusis continuously! And mine doesn't sound as painful as what you others describe either. Do not put yourself through more hell than you already have to put up with. What's the point? Surely everyone has a tipping point and there's only so much you can take. And drilling isn't typical noise that hyperacusis sufferers have to contend with because it's not exactly external is it?

15. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There is nothing "silly" about it except to people who do not know what you're talking about. And who cares if you appear silly to them? Just get the teeth pulled out. No tooth is worth that kind of torture. You can always get false ones and you won't have to get them drilled

16. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'd agree in principle but be careful with your 100-110 theory. I had mild T for 8 years and 6 months ago a wood saw damaged my ears that was outside my window about 10 feet away. I got exposed for less than 10 seconds. Fact is, with T you have damage...and who knows how bad. Could be a hair cell ect. on the edge and that one exposure of 100 or 110 push it over its limit.