An Insight Into the General Public's Lack of Knowledge

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Ed209, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There is a thread on Facebook showing a kid getting excited at a motorsport event. It is clearly very loud, and the kid (toddler) has no ear protection. Whenever someone points it out they are shot down in utter ignorance by what I'd say is the majority. I too replied to highlight the problem and my responses were deleted. I can't copy the thread as it's on Facebook, but I'll see if I can find it on YouTube and paste it over here.

I did however screenshot a few of the replies. One of the later comments (by Jacob) which states they are at the back was later come back on saying 'oh well, it's actually near the front, but the same applies'.

This just highlights the staggering lack of knowledge on the subject of hazardous noise. There were many many more people arguing that there was no issue at all which just highlighted to me how uneducated the public really are.

IMG_2537.PNG

IMG_2538.PNG
      IMG_2542.PNG

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I noticed this when I was at Japfest last year.

I stayed away from the track as to not expose myself to the insane noise those cars produce.I spent the day walking through the paddock looking at the cars on exhibit,bit noisy but not earplug noisy,I could have a conversation without raising my voice.

But what I seen there sickened me,there was parents with their kids lined up against the fence looking at the cars screaming past,some in prams!!
      The noise of these cars is horrendous not to mention the backfire from them are like grenades going off,even across the paddock I found it uncomfortable.

None the less here they were exposing their kids to these deafening bangs only a few feet in front of them,a friend of mine was also quilty of this and I pulled out a pair of earmuffs from my car and told him to put them on baby Brandons head and luckily he did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The tracks should be more vigilant about this and bring some rules in, or at least not allow small children and babies right next to the fence with no protection! It's crazy.

Concerts should be the same. Stark warnings in bold on the front of the tickets.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      This was the area I was in,not loud so it's deemed safe,but what they don't acknowledge there is the sheer volume at the trackside!

I avoided it like a hawk,even with earmuffs on it would still be stupidly loud but yet here they were all lined up against the fence with zero hearing protection on,some kids were screaming crying with the noise all the while the trackside marshals had hearing protection on and none was offered to the people attending.

They don't have to and that's the sad thing,in the area I spent my day it's not that loud just like walking down a busy street but they don't account for the people at the trackside,I heard a few people laughing about how deaf they were after the cars screamed past.Its just ignorance to the fact,people have no idea what can happen from these volumes and even if you did tell them I don't really think it would make any difference.
      It's like any illness,people just HOPE it won't happen to them and carry on regardless,that is until it does happen to them and they'd do anything to go back.

5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Kids ruining their hearing (and mental health in the following case) because of stupid parents ? Really ?

Lilly shooting her first deer!!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Parenting at its worst. What is wrong with people.

7. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      They'll soon learn,shouldn't be too long now before they're here looking for a cure to their sons ringing ears.

8. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I'm not even sure the lack of hearing protection is the most prominent issue in that video.

Interesting thing: Adam Lanza wore earplugs when he shot up an elementary school, as his mother always stressed the importance of wearing hearing protection when using firearms. He also shot her.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree. I deteste hunting for sport and trophy hunting. It's not obvious if they intend on eating the deer, but the whole setup of teaching a little kid like that is all wrong.

10. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      It doesn't really matter but I'm just assuming she's not protected. I don't see a kid wearing something else than earmuffs (earplugs being difficult to install even for us, T veterans), and she has no earmuffs. The father has nothing in the ears (and not much more in the brain), that's for sure.

Didn't know about that, this is so crazy. Talk about an advocate of the T cause :cautious:

11. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Little psycho kid!

12. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I know dozens of people who do shit like that on weekly basis. Cars, music. My flatmate bought headphones based on their maximum loudness. He just chose the model with max dB in the description on Amazon. I can hear music on his headphones in my room. In my room. Through the (radiculously thin) wall. Yes.

None of my club-every-single-friday friends have problems with their hearing. No problems hearing conversations in noise. No T, no H. No apparent hearing loss.

My flatmate (20yo) has mild hearing loss from all this blasting music but he still doesn't believe me that tinnitus is a real thing. He has trouble understanding conversations in noise too. And he has complete silence.

We are the chosen ones.

13. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.

14. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Agree, but the little kid getting excited for killing?
      Wow!
      Sick family!

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @maltese you should warn the one with mild loss to careful. He may well be on the tipping point of getting t.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      But then that would make people weary and cause potential controversy! Which would lead to bad press and less money!

They don't give a rats ass about people. Same with sports, like the NFL. They care about attendance. They want people to go to their games so they can make $$$ from advertising, ticket sales, vendor sales at the game, and everything else.
      And NFL games get insanely fucking loud. I am a die hard Seattle fan, have been for a long time. But I absolutely REFUSE to go to any Seattle game live. EVER. 100+dBs of no fucking thank you and they can't even be bothered to hand out ear plugs.

I mean, jesus even small ATVs and Dirtbikes are insanely loud. Without the windguard over the radiator on the front of my ATV that I lost some time ago. It idles in the 90dBC range in the rider position . And that's when it's quiet. (In addition, this is a quiet one compared to many i've heard out )

I had always avoided loud concerts and the like and live music in general. Always listened quietly all the while never even thought Snowmobiles, cars , dirt bikes were all that loud and didn't have an issue with the sound.
      Granted, I only ever snowmobiled maybe 1-5 times a year or so for less than a decade, and the last 6 years once if I was lucky. Starting in 2013 however, we bought ATVs and I did that more often, 5-10 times a year or more. (Of course always with a helmet that had surprisingly decent hearing attenuation. Not huge mind you, but probably helped some)Never more than 2 hours straight without breaks. I'm lucky I have as little hearing loss as I do. (Not much, less than 10dB for most. ).

I haven't been in a few months, but I feel like giving it up. T always spiked during ride and after for a short while even with plugs. I just don't want to risk it I think any more.

I see dumb ass people putting themselves at risk all the time, even worse their children.
      People are so ignorant. And I know we all were until it was too late. If only people would listen, if only someone could have told us this. There is zero education in school systems for much if any hearing issue.