Antidepressant (Lexapro) Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by fahdchargui, Apr 30, 2020.

1. fahdchargui

fahdchargui Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressant (Escitalopram)
      Hello everyone, my name is Fahd and I am 25 years old.

A year ago I was having panic attacks pretty much every day, so I visited a psychiatrist and he prescribed me antidepressant (Lexapro 10mg equivalent) for 8 months and a half 1 pill every day (except for the last 1 month and a half reducing dose slowly because main issue was treated).

But along the way, maybe about after 2 or 3 months of taking the medicine, I started having tinnitus, I told the doctor about it (the tinnitus wasn't annoying at first), he told me it will go away with time. I believed that after finishing my treatment tinnitus would go away, but now almost 3 months without medications and I still have tinnitus, the fact that it might not go away makes me anxious sometimes. Sometimes it's loud, sometimes i can barely hear it especially when I'm outside, I just try to stay positive all the time.

I finally decided to join Tinnitus Talk and I hope everyone will beat the shit out of tinnitus so soon.

If anyone shares the same cause as me, please let me know and for how long are you having tinnitus, also have you seen doctors etc... tell me anything I need to know about antidepressant induced tinnitus.

Best Regards,
      much love <3

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Antidepressants can cause a variety of symptoms. One of which could be tinnitus. I believe mine was triggered also from a psychiatrist's recommendation. Doctors are wrong, these drugs help but they can also do a lot of damage to otherwise healthy individuals.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Yes antidepressants have been known to cause tinnitus, not all of them, and not everyone, but sometimes it can trigger tinnitus. There are many other causes of tinnitus so it is possible that the tinnitus can be caused by other reason. Saying that, if you wish to find out more about AD and tinnitus, there have been lots of discussions on this subject. If there is not enough response, you can search the site with text like 'antidepressant tinnitus' and see if you can see many prior threads on this subject. Good luck. God bless.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    4. Fightingscream

Fightingscream Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lexapro
      Hi mate, has your tinnitus gone away?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fahdchargui

fahdchargui Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressant (Escitalopram)
      Hey,

Unfortunately no, it got better over time though. I hope yours goes away, or at least gets better.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Barpis

Barpis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI
      I suffer from tinnitus caused by SSRI too. I've tried to look on the Internet for the explanation of hearing damage caused by SSRI but there is no answer.

Does anybody know how SSRI can cause hearing damage, or maybe it is too complex to find a reason?

7. T_Almost_Gone
      Mellow

T_Almost_Gone Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion nalextrone
    8. PeanutButter

PeanutButter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)
      Wow tinnitus for 10 years all from taking an antidepressant. Good thing I'm getting my gun tomorrow. I can't wait to bleed out.