Antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOs, TCAs, TeCAs)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Pat, May 10, 2012.

1. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      How are you doing? Are you feeling better? Hope so.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm not sure.

love glynis

3. Ringeee

Ringeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Has anyone's tinnitus caused by SSRIs gotten better after stopping? I've been on Prozac for a week and mine is super loud. Thinking I'll stop tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ctw

Ctw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are you still on Lexapro? I just started it.

5. all to gain

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction
      I've been on it for years, and it may have caused my tinnitus. I would love to come off it to see if it makes my tinnitus disappear, but coming off of it last time led to the mess i'm in now.

If you've only been on it a week, then I would come off it. Not only can prozac bring on tinnitus, but it can also make it worse. But, i'm no dr, although my dr didn't know about these side effects either.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Ringeee

Ringeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Oof, mind if I ask what is going on?

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I got tinnitus from taking Amitriptyline which is a Tricyclic, I was taking a low does for pain for 2 weeks when my left ear started ringing. I stopped and it mostly went away a few days after. Came back when I tested it once again. Then set in constantly once I took a low dose of Valium and Naproxen for a few days.

After a lot of research I think I've made the connection of nitric oxide inhibitors causing tinnitus. Which is why NAC, Curcumin and countless vitamins like Zinc, B6 and B12. I need to do more study but there could be a reason for low Nitric Oxide from a B12 deficiency causing tinnitus. Everything seems to keep looping back. When I was on Amitriptyline it dried out my mouth. You need saliva to form nitric oxide and what's the most important function of it. "Vasodilation, meaning it relaxes the inner muscles of the blood vessels, causing them to widen and increase circulation"

I haven't looked into SSRIs but whats worked for me is. NAC in the morning and sometimes at night. B vitamin supplement late morning. Nitrate high foods such as raw spinach, lettuce, beetroot etc. All this aids in the production of nitric oxide.

Healthy diet of meat, vegetables and fruit. Heavily limiting sodium foods such as bread, sauces, packaged food and absolutely now sodium rich food. Also reducing sugar and a high potassium intake to counter the affects of natural sodium in food. Exercising everyday.

I'm got my tinnitus way down enough that its not there for most of the day, when it is there its quite low so I can ignore it and at this point my brain has learned to ignore it. Like when I wake up I tell myself not to listen out for it, its pushed back and it mostly stays there. I was super strict one weekend with supplements and healthy foods, I also took a Zinc supplement and I had no tinnitus for about 5 days. Unfortunately it came back but it did make me realise how much my diet, digestion, lifestyle etc was having an effect on it.

I'll make a big post when I know more swell as detailed steps that worked for me :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      @ThomasW -- You mention a number of good points. -- The amino acid l-arginine can increase nitric oxide production. The amino acid l-citrulline apparently does it even more efficiently. Watermelon is one of those foods that is especially high in l-citrulline. He's a bit on some of WATERMELON's Remarkable Health Benefits.

9. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      I would just like to give thumbs up for Zoloft (Sertraline). I know most people are scared shirtless regarding Antidepressants, as was I. But it surely saved my life. I think I was lucky with the AD I got but also another thing. If you have constant anxiety, panic and literally tinnitus in every cell of your brain + hyperacusis and haven't tried any antidepressant I would recommend trying Zoloft. Under care of family and your doctor. It literally saved my life.

Also my tinnitus was from loud noise + stress.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. Ctw

Ctw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just started Lexapro! Fingers crossed!

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Did your tinnitus spike from Sertraline? I couldn't stand it! Mine spiked 2 days into treatment, taking half of 50mg and then I took it for another 2 weeks after that but it was horrible. I got off it, but ever since then (months later) my tinnitus has remained higher. I can't test whether it's just my perception, or whether the volume did indeed get higher, but I truly believe it. I even took Xanax a few times with the SSRI and it did nothing to help with the tinnitus. I got more anxious obviously because the tinnitus spiked and there was new pitches/tones.

12. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      I indeed got some new sounds but it took away so much of the panic, hyperacusis and also lowered alot of sounds. And in a choice between going crazy and not being able to listen to any sound it has been a godsend.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. JudyM
      Frustrated

JudyM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think Amitriptyline may have been what started my tinnitus as well. I had however been taking a low dose 25 my for pain for a few months prior to the tinnitus onset. However the week the I first noticed the intermittent tinnitus noise was the same week my Amitriptyline dose was increased to 50 mg, unfortunately it took me a couple months to put it all together as the tinnitus was super infrequent from May to July. When I finally did make the possible connection I decreased dose back to 25 mg and finally stopped it altogether. In July however thanks to a test at the ENT's office my tinnitus spiked to loud and constant and I have been dealing with that constant sound to date. I have been researching and trying supplements which is why I came upon your post.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Momma28

Momma28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all

I must admit I’ve not read through the whole thread . I’ve had T for just going on 9 months now . Started out the blue when I was 15 weeks pregnant , baby is nearly 3 months old.

Ive never been given any medication for it while being pregnant , I’ve recently had a MRI . The T was manageable but these last few days it’s increased in volume and I always seem to be aware of it . I’m at the stage now where I’m anxious/upset. I am under a ENT and go back in November for MRI results and update . I think Iam slowly realising this isn’t going to go away which makes me feel more anxious and upset ! It’s a vicious circle !

Question being what would you recommend as a first medication option ?

Thanks x

15. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      @Momma28 -- I consider medications to be used as last resort, not a first resort. A number of people on this forum have gotten tinnitus relief from taking various supplements and/or doing various treatments/exercises to address structural issues that are either causing or contributing to their tinnitus. Since you t started while pregnant, I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by a structural issue.

Others have changed their diets with remarkable success. Going this latter route may lead to discovering the root of the tinnitus, whereas medications tend to cover up those roots, which can then likely get worse over time. -- Best...

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Ringeee

Ringeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I had a huge increase in my tinnitus after one day of Prozac. I've been off it for 2-3 weeks now and haven't seen any improvement. Is there anyone that can give me anything to look forward to? Anyone in a similar boat?

17. SwirlySauce

SwirlySauce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication/Illness
      Has anyone tried Vibryd (Vilazodone)?

18. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      Here's a link to an article that's quite critical of the how widespread anti-anxiety, anti-depression, and other similar medications are distributed. I've long had deep concerns about this, but had no idea the extent to which these "medications" (poisons in my mind) are being given to toddlers. Below the link to the somewhat lengthy article is a snippet on what's being given to children. I find it all quite shocking to say the least.

How Did 274,000 Babies End Up on Psychiatric Meds?

Considering the many serious psychological and physical risks associated with psychiatric drugs, it's shocking to learn that hundreds of thousands of American toddlers are on them. In 2014, the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, a mental health watchdog group, highlighted data showing that in 2013:41
      • 274,000 babies aged 1 and younger were given psychiatric drugs — Of these, 249,699 were on anti-anxiety meds like Xanax; 26,406 were on antidepressants such as Prozac or Paxil, 1,422 were on ADHD drugs such as Ritalin and Adderall, and 654 were on antipsychotics such as Risperdal and Zyprexa
      • In the toddler category (2- to 3-year-olds), 318,997 were on anti-anxiety drugs, 46,102 were on antidepressants, 10,000 were prescribed ADHD drugs and 3,760 were on antipsychotics
      • Among children aged 5 and younger, 1,080,168 were on psychiatric drugs
      These are shocking figures that challenge logic. How and why are so many children, babies even, on addictive and dangerously mind-altering medications? Considering these statistics are 6 years old, chances are they're even higher today. Just what will happen to all of these youngsters as they grow up? As mentioned in the article:42

"When it comes to the psychiatric drugs used to treat ADHD, these are referred to as 'kiddie cocaine' for a reason. Ritalin (methylphenidate), Adderall (amphetamine) and Concerta are all considered by the federal government as Schedule II drugs — the most addictive.

ADHD drugs also have serious side effects such as agitation, mania, aggressive or hostile behavior, seizures, hallucinations, and even sudden death, according to the National Institutes of Health …

As far as antipsychotics, antianxiety drugs and antidepressants, the FDA and international drug regulatory agencies cite side effects including, but not limited to, psychosis, mania, suicidal ideation, heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and even sudden death."

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      With the internet research everything and double research!

• Agree Agree x 1