Antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOs, TCAs, TeCAs)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Pat, May 10, 2012.

1. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      When drug companies lose their patent they usually come out with another drug which is nearly the same drug. Pfizer did this, when they lost the patent on Effexor, they launched Pristiq which is actually the main metabolite of Effexor, venlafaxine hydrochloride.

Pristiq was marketed for major depression and also as alternative to using hormone replacement therapy for the treatment of hot flashes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Yep. Until the 'experts' put 2+2 together all the consumers coming forward are simply considered to be giving meaningless reports. It take years until they realise that all those 'anecdotal' reports actually do mean something. Meanwhile lots of people suffer at the arrogance of the medical profession and pharmacological companies.

Never trust a doctor...

• Like Like x 2
    3. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Indeed, Star, gabapentin seems to be less stable at low dosages, which makes it a dirtier drug. However pregabalin is more powerful, which makes it harder to taper if taken at high dosages. They are nerve drugs, imagine any possible horrible side effect/withdrawal symptom and with nerves into play someone will experience it :(

• Like Like x 2
    4. MatthijsDJ
      Mellow

MatthijsDJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No root cause found, most likely stress...
      I have great results with Clomipramine. I got it for OCD but it fixed my tinnitus obsession for a great part as well.

For sleep I take 7.5mg of Mirtazapine as well.

5. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      What do you mean fixed your tinnitus obsession?

I was offered it as a replacement for Prozac, but I see that the side effects include tinnitus in 1-10% of patients so I thought it might make my tinnitus worse.

6. MatthijsDJ
      Mellow

MatthijsDJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No root cause found, most likely stress...
      I was focusing a lot on my tinnitus, when the Clomipramine kicked in I lost focus on it for the majority of the day.

7. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hidden hearing loss and acoustic trauma
      So I asked my doctor to put me off Risperidone and not only she refused to do it, but she prescribed me two new antidepressant SSRIs, Lexapro and Fluanxol, and now not only my anxiety is increased I have constant aggressive attacks which my mother and family suffers from, of course, I am not psychical, but verbal, but I can't control my emotions at all now. I have constant anger and anxiety. Please help recommend me any natural supplement that can replace this poison that is ruining my life.

I'm thinking about trying this. Has anybody else tried this formulation?

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Mood-Support-with-St-John-s-Wort-90-Veg-Capsules/8214

I need to replace antidepressants and antipsychotics fast, because my mother is starting to have health problems from my constant emotional ruin. Antidepressants and antipsychotics completely ruined my mental state and well being and in turn ruined my life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      So you take every drug your doctor prescribes?

Why did you start on these new SSRIs? You should have refused. Nobody forces them down your throat.
      St John's Wort works for some people, but it's usually quite mild and best for mild depression.

I'm not sure any natural supplement can help your state...

9. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have taken every drug my doctor has prescribed and they have made me emotionally numb except occasional aggression attacks, being a zombie with memory problems, impotence, weight gain and complete and utter disregard for life.

You're right that I shouldn't have accepted new SSRIs, I'm an idiot for it but after saying that I have brain zaps they basically said that they refuse to treat me if I continue to change medications myself and that I should follow their plan word for word or they won't treat me at all. I listened like a moron and here I am ten times worse for it. I will see my doctor Monday and I will tell them that I refuse to take Fluanxol and that I want to naturally get off Lexapro. If they make me sign a paper stating that they're not responsible for it so be it, I won't continue taking this poison any longer. This is the last time they force dangerous psychotropic drugs down my throat.

This formulation I gave the link to not only has St John's Wort, but also 5-HTP, Taurine, GABA, Valerian root, L-theanine, so things that are effective for a lot of people. Obviously 5-HTP didn't really work out for me, but in this lower dose of 20mg, I think I should tolerate it. I don't think this formulation can hurt as far as trying to come off antidepressants.

Also as far as aggression attacks go I have always had them. Even when I was a healthy person with no physical or emotional problems, but the aggression attacks were really rare and happened like once a week or once a month, but now it's almost a daily occurrence. It scares me that my mental state continues to deteriorate while I'm having more and more side effects and health problems from antidepressants and antipsychotics.

Anyway thanks for reaching out and saying your perspective.

• Hug Hug x 3
    10. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I think it's easy, in the heat of the moment, to go along with what the doctor says. This is especially true if you've been brought up to believe that doctors are experts at what they do and would do nothing that would put the patient in harms way and that they always tell the truth. It's even more true if you are in a depressed and stressed state.

Oh how naive I've been!! I hate myself for it. I will never trust a doctor again unfortunately. All too late in my case though, and I'm sure it is for many others too. It's made me very cautious about letting my kids go to the doctors now, which of course has its pros and cons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Good luck with that. No one should have to take medicine that is clearly not working for them.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      "Doctors and patients have for some time been reporting mild tics and jerks in SSRI users. The tics are usually overlooked, but can develop into tardive dyskinesia (manifested by a freakish "involuntary tongue" that darts out of the mouth, twitching or "running" legs, jerking or wildly swinging arms and gagging)."

This is why I am so skeptical of ADs. Having a tic that causes the tongue to involuntarily and freakishly dart out of the mouth would NOT make anyone feel less depressed. It would probably not go over well at work either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      • Agree Agree x 2
    14. ThomasW

ThomasW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2019(nearly gone)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I got Tinnitus from Amitriptyline last year and I've got it down to about <5%, you can read my story here:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-ototoxic-stress-induced-tinnitus-is-nearly-gone.38880/

I would not recommend taking Amitriptyline for Tinnitus because it is an ototoxic drug that can give you T to begin with and also has the potential to make it much worse.

I read a paper saying one of the way Amitriptyline works is by decreasing Nitric Oxide production. This reduces blood flow and circulation which is one of the mechanisms that causes T. If you T is caused by blood flow problems then it will make it worse. I read a few posts from people saying how they were sleeping better but now had more tones and an increase in pitch.

Now on the other hand one of the way Amitriptyline can lessen Tinnitus is by regulating Glutamate and increasing GABA which is a proven way of decreasing T caused by noise trauma. It also calms your mind and nervous system which is why its used as a sleep aid and is prescribed for people having trouble sleeping because of their T.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    15. MichaelSF

MichaelSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Anxiety,
      Anyone taking ADs with any success at all?

16. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So I'm tapering off antidepressants successfully. I tampered off Risperidone slowly from 2 tablets to half a tablet and I replaced Escitalopram with 5-HTP (lower dose, I break the 400 mg tablet in half) and adaptogens (Ashwagandha, Rosiolla Rosea). I am also taking Melatonin at night to help me sleep because insomnia is a common side effect from quitting Risperidone and I can honestly say I never felt better. My anxiety is a lot lower. My aggression attacks are gone. My nausea is better. Even my mood is better. I lost a little weight by combining my lower antidepressant dosage with intermittent fasting 18/6. I am a little drowsy from 5-HTP sometimes so I think I might replace it with something else in the future, but that's not a big deal considering I'm starting to feel like my old self. My emotions are still not fully recovered and the antipsychotic Risperidone did cause some damage like memory loss, akathisia, dystonia, and impotence, but I hope it will get better over time.

I also did well by cutting out toxic people (my sister) from my life that did nothing, but drain my emotions, humiliate me and insult me and now I'm only left with real family like my mother.

So yeah I am doing quite good and I encourage everyone to go the natural route instead of dangerous antipsychotics and antidepressants that cause extensive damage and long-lasting side effects. :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    17. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I'm right there with you. Since my hearing damage and T escalation people at work tell me I'm "a shell" of my former self. I was outgoing, positive (mostly), and supportive of others. Now, I have no interest in anything. I struggle to leave the house. I take pleasure in nothing. Nobody wants to be around me and I don't blame them, although I still resent them for it. I realize this is no way to live, and there is no going back in time. Hopefully hearing regeneration comes soon and is everything we need it to be.

• Hug Hug x 5
    18. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Interesting. My T is from hearing damage. My Dr. prescribed 10mg amitriptyline and I'm about 3 weeks into taking it nightly. Great shit for sleeping. There was one night I noticed a significant drop in T volume and intrusiveness. Went from a 4.5/10 to a 3. Hasn't reoccured yet, unfortunately. The next morning I was back up to baseline, very disapointed. Usually it just seems to change the tones. In the morning I don't wake up any more positive than I would if I drank whiskey or smoked pot the night before. It's that same feeling of defenselessness and oh god I have to make it through another day.

• Hug Hug x 2
    19. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Amitriptyline, 20mg at night.

Taking for pain and also depression and anxiety issues, probably need to go to 25mg for the anxiety and depression.
      Could be placebo, but my tinnitus is quieter since being on it.

It slows down nerve signals and that is why it works for pain.
      Maybe it can work for also tinnitus.

Haven't experienced adverse effects (tinnitus related).

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I just want to briefly mention that sometimes drug "seem" to work. But that doesn't mean they're not doing damage that's cumulative and long-term, and may not show up for months or years. IMHO, it's always better to seek out super safe non-drug alternatives. There's plenty of them out there, from herbs, intermittent fasting, yoga, mediation, etc, etc. There's many other benefits to these approaches from just the better ability to cope with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. LukeYoung
      Frantic

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most drugs will have side effects or warnings for long term use damage.
      There are always side effects, and while natural would be best, it just isn't realistic for everybody

22. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just because there are warnings doesn't begin to tell you how a particular drug is going to affect a given person. Two years ago, I was given a single dose of a supposedly benign anti-nausea drug called Promethazine. When I reported that I experienced severe hyperacusis, tinnitus, and a host of other debilitating symptoms, the doctors that treated me said that wasn't possible, even though all my symptoms and more were listed as possible side effects. -- Don't trust doctors; don't trust drug labels; limit drug use as much as possible. This is realistic for most people. I think it's imperative to keep in mind that drugs are generally speaking inherently risky endeavors--I think especially if someones ears are already vulnerable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    23. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Artazanasss -- Thanks for your positive report, and congratulations on all your improvements. I too have been doing intermittent fasting similar to what you're doing, and wish I would have discovered this many years ago. The benefits feel almost innumerable, from feeling lighter, better digestion, better sleep, better mood, etc. -- I think if more people would try this, they would be much less likely to consider any kind of brain damaging drugs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. LukeYoung
      Frantic

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree, you basically just repeated what i said but longer.
      All drugs have risks, but some people have no choice, while relief NOW is better than worry what may be in future.
      If it wasn't for amitriptyline i'd be dead, by suicide.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Useful Useful x 1
    25. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I agree. Especially if your sleep is in jeoprady, amitriptyline is a pragmatic approach. You gotta do what ya gotta do to keep going. The working world unforgivingly demands we keep up with it despite our maladies.

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      For those of you who have had some relief using a tricyclic antidepressant, how long did you find it took to work?

Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    27. MichaelSF

MichaelSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Anxiety,
      Really happy for you Luke, that’s great!

• Like Like x 1
    28. MichaelSF

MichaelSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Anxiety,
      Sad but true, get busy living or get busy “dying”

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. LukeYoung
      Frantic

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks mate. :)

30. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MichaelSF -- Shawshank Redemption? (If my memory serves me correctly) :)