Anxiety Caused by Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jamurra1, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Jamurra1

Jamurra1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Someone shouting into ear
      Hi my name is Jackie, I'm new to this site, is anyone having anxiety and panic attacks due to tinnitus?

I have had it a while but it now consumes me and my anxiety is getting worse because of it. I'm thinking I've got a brain tumour now but my doctor says I am just concentrating on it too much. He is referring me for tinnitus training therapy, does it work?

Also I have developed eczema with the stress of it all.

Would love to hear from anyone else who feels the same, thank you.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes, many T sufferers are prone to anxiety and panic attacks, especially at onset.

There is no cure, so nothing "works for everyone", but it does have some level of success (as other therapies do). Find more info on pubmed, for example this recent study.

Where are you located?

What does your hearing look like? (post an audiogram if you are comfortable)

Is your T tonal? If so there are a few sound therapies you could give a try to. Again, it won't work for everyone, but you may be in the subset of patients who can benefit from it, so it may be worth a try.

Good luck.

3. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Yes, I am having panic attacks. I can literally see in my Fitbit that my heartrate goes up when I hear T.

If I have a chance I try to mask it as soon as possible and avoid more panic.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Here you will find many people with similar experiences as you. Oh ya, those darn anxiety and panic attacks. I was in a mess with it for the first 6 months or more and I had to survive on meds just to survive each day. I suffered from ultra high pitch T and severe hyperacusis. These two bad beasts combined just messed me up so much they simply opened up the floodgate of hell of relentless anxiety and panic attacks. I thought I would never survive it. But never say never. Today I live a normal, productive and absolutely enjoyable life. So don't despair nor panic. Good days will come. I wrote a success story and include some helpful strategies. If you have time, check it out.Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Having anxiety and stress from tinnitus is normal. You are hearing low to mid to LOUD sounds in your head 2 4 7 (At least I am ). Your mind controls everything in the body and when it is not at peace, then stress/anxiety can come along. Some use meds, some exercise to fight the anxiety and stress. It's a tough ordeal, it takes lots of courage to live life with tinnitus. Be proud of yourself and just keep moving forward :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Seawater7

Seawater7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi jackie,

I use to have panic attacks too from tinnitus, and a lot of stress, lack of sleep.. i went almost 2 years not knowing if i would ever.sleep good again.

My anxiety has gone down a lot, even though at the moment it came back from a loud noise exposure, i am more aware of it and don't let it go as far, or take me down as much.

I really reccomend listening to Eckhart tolle.. a spiritual teacher, and focus on the parts were he talks about being non reactive, and the parts about the "painbody" our emotional reaction to a situation, in this case tinitus.

It's not pleasent i know, but humans are so intelligent, we should be able to learn strategies to live with this.
      This is my first day on this site, also helping me with the negative thoughts and set back i had.

Don't loose hope.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Seawater7

Seawater7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      P.s not only live with but become stronger because of this challenge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Jackie,

Everyone deals with this matter differently. Here is what works for me: going for a daily walk, being in bed no later than 11-11:30pm, listening to music that makes you happy, and trying to minimize stress (not always easy). You may also want to ask your doctor for some medication, ie. Lexipro 10mg if you anxiety and such is preventing you from getting a good night's sleep.

Just keep in mind that you are not alone and virtually everyone has problems of some sort.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Robski12

Robski12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys...I’ve had T just about a month..The anxiety and panic attacks are hopefully less frequent now. I have a high stress related job and had two family bereavements close together. .But I’m really struggling at times with the T..Ifeel like bursting out crying..

• Hug Hug x 3