Anxious and Terrified

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GavH26, Apr 7, 2013.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GavH26
      Frantic

GavH26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I've had an awful night. Woke up around 3am with the most horrendous pressure and ringing. It has not been this bad since January. I'm assuming it's because of the meds (which I also took briefly in Jan - citalopram) I vommitted and panicked like crazy, I could not calm down and could not sleep. I slept sparsely then for the rest of the night. When I woke up the ringing was still there but I thought it felt weaker. I just don't get it. I have never felt this low and I am so frightened.

2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      The zoloft will take time as you suggested.

I don't much like panicking. And... the more you panic the more it pops up. Got to get out of the syndrome!

Try deep breathing exercises when you feel panicky. Count of 6 in through the nose, count of 4-6 out slowly. 5 to 15 minutes - with calming music if you can.

Lorazem should take effect within 20-30 minutes and you will sleep through the rest of the night. Not much for prescription meds... but... panic is no fun!

3. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Me again Gav!

Have you tried Sleepy Time Tea? I use it at night before bed. I do Sleepy Time tea and Organic Chamomile Tea. I can actually feel it work in about an hour - 1/1/2 hours.

During the day, I use Tension Tamer tea. I keep drinking it until I have relaxed my anxious feeling. That is only though if I am slightly anxious. ;)

I used to use liquid melatonin, but took it for too long and had a bad reaction I think.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GavH26
      Frantic

GavH26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I've used Rescue Remedy in the past but found it hasn't really worked. That's all I've tried. :-/

5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I see.

Well, why don't you pick some of that tea up at the store next time you go? :)

I am watching a vid on www.gaiamtv.com (free 10 day membership) which I am a member of and therapist Mark Waldman is talking about things that can help with anxiety and such - brain functioning, thoughts, etc. I am still in the middle of it. I will post some suggestions when I get through. Or you can watch it yourself at the link. The video is called - Inspirations: Your Brain on God with Mark Waldman (April 2013)

Mark Robert Waldman teaches executive communication, stress reduction, and mindfulness to Executive MBA students at Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles. As the author of 12 books, including Words Can Change Your Brain, he is considered to be a leading authority on spirituality and the brain.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GavH26
      Frantic

GavH26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Thank you

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, again, Gav,
      Calin has some great ideas for relaxation techniques that can help you. Even with the Zoloft in your system, it sounds like you are still getting panicky in the middle of the night, and that panic can make your tinnitus even worse.

Try some of her suggestions for calming down. The tea is a very good idea! During the day, anything you can do to distract yourself will really help. And if you exercise, you may be able to tire yourself out enough so that you'll be able to sleep. I wish you the best tonight, and hope you're able to get some rest.

8. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      Chris, it's been a couple of months now. How are you doing?

9. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      my t got mad after an ear infection after having a slight t for many ears hold on we are many i do not mannage this wery good one day comes the cure have you read about stamcels.

10. Jane Plumb

Jane Plumb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      Hello Gav,

I found this website really helpful: (they won't let me post it yet, but I'll try again.

The longer you have tinnitus, the more you find you can cope with it. The ringing (or hissing) in my ears, I don't even notice now unless I think about it. You can distract yourself. After all, you are never totally quiet. There are always cars, or a washing machine, or the computer noise and you successfully block these out. Don't despair. x

11. Jane Plumb

Jane Plumb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      Trying to be Helpful. Things I've learned, published for the Public Benefit. Put that into Google and it will take you to the page with tips.

12. Neil991
      Curious

Neil991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Hey buddy,

The ear popping is a good thing. It means your ears are fine. It would be bad if you couldnt pop your ears. And its quite a common symptom.

How are you now?

The body learns to cope with the ringing....for some...the ringing doesnt bother at all.....even at night as your brain learns to sleep with the noise.

*I have a friend who lives next to the railway station and he cannot sleep unless the last train for the night passes through haha. Its all about habituation of the brain.

Dont panic. Try not to make medicines. Exercise.