Any Experiences with Mesenchymal Stem Cell Injections?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by another sean, Apr 14, 2017.

1. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I was wondering if any has had mesenchymal stem cell injections done and if so, what was your experince like. Did it help or have an adverse reaction?

My biggest concern is adverse reactions like the the possibility of the stem cells turning into cancer tumors. I've read this phenomena online but I don't really know how accurate that risk is.

So if anyone can share their experience, that would be great. And also what would be some good questions to ask the doctor?

Thanks!

2. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      Unfortunately you'll find many negative new stories regarding stem cells but if you look at the actual studies, you'll find quite the opposite. Realistically, anyone can have an adverse reaction from anything including foods and supplements. The cells that carry more risk for cancer are embryonic cells. Umbilical cord cells tend to be safe (according to every stem cell clinic I have spoken to - around 5..., they claim to have not had any incidents of adverse reactions to cord cells). Adipose cells (extracted from yourself) also seem to be fairly safe any very commonly used.

• Informative Informative x 4
    3. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Yes. I’ve received them in China (150m) umbilical msc.

It’s very safe, you’re given corticosteroids to avoid rejection. It did not help my tinnitus.

Do I believe it can? Sure, if there is an underlying health issue that caused the tinnitus; not an ascoustic trauma.

Do I believe it will in the future? Yes. Our currently delivery methods and understanding is archaic.

• Informative Informative x 2
    4. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      @Pleasure_Paulie regarding your post, if tinnitus is steadily progressing month by month do you believe that this indicates an underlying condition other then an acoustic trauma?

• Like Like x 2
    5. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ve only had tinnitus for 1.5 years but trying to discover the exact cause of tinnitus apart from the known medical obvious medical reasons is very challenging. Have you had all relevant medical checkups with a physician? The only truth of tinnitus, is you can’t understand tinnitus.

If you have seeked advice, I would spend your time learning coping strategies as frustrating as that is to hear. That and occassional assistance of pharmaceuticals has been my go to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Thank you for your time. Indeed i had done all possible tests. Unfortunately i am one month before my 1-year anniversary and my symptoms have increased considerably during these months. I wish they could track down a reason just to stop this progression.

7. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      The only reason it's frustrating is because that was blatantly unhelpful.

Sorry about the response. The fact is if your tinnitus is gradually getting worse, especially as how you say is, then yes there isn't certainly a reason. Are you doing anything that is putting your hearing at risk like listening to music with headphones, clubbing, or being in loud places? If no, then there's a reason it's getting worse, and correcting it should help reduce it back to previous levels or more.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      I always wonder, how do we really know what they are injecting? Especially in places like China. Do we just take their word for it?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    9. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      One I have been considering is Liveyon umbical cord stem cells. They seem to be widely available at clinics all over the United States. Created using FDA approved procedures, from Liveyon’s website:

“Our regenerative medicine product is produced in compliance with FDA CGMP (Current Good Manufacturing Practice) and GTP (Good Tissue Practices) standards, which assures you the end user quality and safety in this product.”

http://liveyon.com/choose/

Cost is about $2,500 for one IV injection with about 10 million cells. Doctors have said probably would need multiple injections over a period of time for best effect, so total cost to fully try it might be more like say $10,000 rather than $2,500.

The presentation at this link shows what is contained in the injection. A summary:

“Liveyon regenerative medicine product contains stem cells and growth factors which may be beneficial for repair, growth and healing. Here independently completed in vitro studies illustrate the quantity of cells and cell surface markers indicative of MSCs obtained from Liveyon regenerative medicine product. Most importantly, the release of 4 growth factors that aid in the formation of new blood vessels, activation of endogenous stem cells, modulation of the immune system and growth of cells and tissue.”

https://regenpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Liveyon-White-Paper.pdf

10. Amiel

Amiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
    11. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Could you point me to clinics using this product?
      This has nothing to do with FDA approval as indicated by the disclaimer that pops up when attempting to access a number of their pages: (Everything that follows is the disclaimer)

Medical Professional Viewing Only (Disclaimer)

This site was intended for education purposes only and strictly for use by medical professionals. The FDA recently re-confirmed, there is only one registered stem cell product, and while there is enormous promise in stem cell therapies, and thousands of ongoing experimental applications trying to establish efficacy, these are not at the point where they would meet the scientific standard.

The FDA has stated:

Stem cells, like other medical products that are intended to treat, cure or prevent disease, generally require FDA approval before they can be marketed. FDA has not approved any stem cell-based products for use, other than cord blood-derived hematopoietic progenitor cells (blood forming stem cells) for certain indications.

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/ucm194655.htm

This site is not intended for consumers.

If you are considering stem cell treatment in the U.S., ask your physician if the necessary FDA approval has been obtained or if you will be part of an FDA-regulated clinical study. This also applies if the stem cells are your own. Even if the cells are yours, there are safety risks, including risks introduced when the cells are manipulated after removal.

“There is a potential safety risk when you put cells in an area where they are not performing the same biological function as they were when in their original location in the body.” Cells in a different environment may multiply, form tumors, or may leave the site you put them in and migrate somewhere else.

If you are considering having stem cell treatment in another country, learn all you can about regulations covering the products in that country. Exercise caution before undergoing treatment with a stem cell-based product in a country that—unlike the U.S.—may not require clinical studies designed to demonstrate that the product is safe and effective. FDA does not regulate stem cell treatments used solely in countries other than the United States and typically has little information about foreign establishments or their stem cell products.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm286155.htm

Stem cell therapies have enormous promise, but the science in each use is still in the developmental stage. Professional judgment and expertise is needed in using stem cells for any therapeutic use, and we urge anyone embarking on the use of stem cell therapies to consult the national health data bases to evaluate current information from clinical trials and the FDA websites on human tissue should also be consulted to get its current evaluation of any therapy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I found 10 or so clinics quickly by searching on “Liveyon” in Facebook, and more when using Google. One example, but they are pretty easy to find:

http://www.stemcellinstituteoftx.com/liveyon-umbilical-stem-cell-therapy.html

Yes, almost all the current uses of these umbilical cord stem cells are to treat “off label” conditions and not FDA approved which is part of the reason they are so controversial. And there is not one shred of proof of efficacy for the Liveyon product for tinnitus that I could find, not even a single anecdote. Though to my knowledge nobody has tried it yet for tinnitus, so we don’t have our first negative anecdote either.

Of course, it is common for doctors in the United States to prescribe medications for off-label conditions, not FDA-approved, we see it all the time on TTalk with various meds being prescribed to attempt to treat tinnitus, when in fact none are FDA approved for tinnitus. It is not illegal or unusual. Some might even argue that the pharma companies welcome this practice since it can be good for increasing sales. :)

• Like Like x 2
    13. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A valid point, but that goes for any clinic in the world unless its regulated by the FDA or a governing body you trust in your country; which won't be the case for stem cells I imagine.

I had many doubt as well, but I became friends with one of the people who works at the hospital I went too. I'm still friends with him and his family 12 months later and he has reassured me many times I got the real stuff. He is much to honest to lie to me.

At the end of the day, all these hospitals and clinics only exist for profit. They are very expensive and extort foreigners on basis on our desperation and hope. I really think its important to know that if anybody is planning to have Stem cells overseas so you have realistic expectations.