Any Musicians Suffering with High Pitched Type Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Earforartsache, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Earforartsache

Earforartsache Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16 months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi All,

I am new here and in search of the elusive cure for tinnitus.

Now been suffering high pitched tinnitus for approximately 2.3 years. I am an ex pro musician and wondering if it can be brought on by historic noise conditions. Anyone else found this.There is also some info across the web about the medication,'Naproxen.' I took a large dose of this by mistake when suffering with really bad toothache.

Coincidentally my tinnitus begun 2 weeks later.

My professional involvement in music came to a halt in 1992. And my tinnitus begun September 2016:banghead: every day from then 24/7 to now! I know there are many out there who have had this unbearable screaming etc for many years and I wish you all well ASAP.

There is so much info on the web that's contradictory and as yet the only people I find who have been cured has just happened to them out of the blue so to speak... I long for that day.

Star Hippo.

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      just a goofy opinion from a goofball but i'd say it was the Naproxen and not your music career from over 2 decades ago. or maybe a combination? perhaps the medicine was the straw that broke the camels back? TBH there's really no telling. everything at this point is just speculation. doctors know jack poopie squat.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It can.

Have you had your hearing checked with an audiologist?

4. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      A good idea to get an audiogram and tympanometry checked by good audiologist (not one that has an interest in selling something to you). My non-medical research is that hearing degenerates with age and hearing degeneration can lead to tinnitus - apparently it is common in older people. An audiologist may show you that you do/do not have physical damage or hearing loss. There are many apps and methods to help you self-examine - but just to get you started. eg. clicking my fingers left and right shows a slight loss in my left ear. Whether your hearing can cause T is debatable.
      I really feel mine may have been caused / still caused by infection - ear and jaw perhaps. I suffered a heavy flu which blocked the left ear and caused so much pain - antibiotics (I feel) may have contributed. But it didn't happen at the same time and I didn't notice things getting bad until one day six months later I realized that I had T. I too am a musician and recorded music with headphones while suffering massive flu and taking antibiotics for ear infection. Hmmm.
      My tinnitus comes and goes - bad days and good.
      I think I understand how I get bad days and can >almost< switch it off - I am having weird success - but no culprit just yet.
      Keep in touch and let me know how you are going. Really.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      your tinnitus was almost certainly caused by hearing loss since you are a musician, the cure will probably be hearing restoration via hair cell regeneration clinical trial happening now.

Don't go searching the internet for miracle cures ya here, it's all scams.

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I'm serious there are tons of scams that prey on people who expect a miracle cure, and also different causes of tinnitus.

For example of tinnitus is caused by a deficiency, cervical issues, or TMD or a correctable issue it will go away once solved.
      In cases of hearing loss it may but unknown reasons but there is no valid treatment yet.

That's why there needs to be a way to cure hearing loss

http://www.hearingreview.com/2018/11/otonomy-presents-data-oto-413-therapy-hearing-loss/
      http://www.hearingreview.com/2018/0...e-12-clinical-trial-hearing-restoration-drug/

• Like Like x 1
    7. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      I've been suffering mine from 2 weeks now.

This was supposed to be the year I would make more tracks for release and start planning my first live gig.

2 weeks ago I did some mixing and I damaged my hearing.

Now I am heartbroken. I love music.
      It was my escape from this world and a way to create my own.

This is a nightmare. I guess I did some high frequency mixing so it damaeed my hearing. Too bad I did not have the budget to pay to a professional, I would still have my hesring intact.

Now I paid the high price for trying to learn to do my own mixing. Useful skill, but without decent pair of ears, quite useless.

I was getting better at my skills so much during these few months, so I got super exited and did long hours for few days.

This is my personal nightmare.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    8. SashaG
      Alone

SashaG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI, Stress - recovered after 4 years
      Same for me. The past 20 years it let me survive the stuff that I experienced very young, but so was watching movies and TV shows. I had all the protection, always, 75DB in the booth, headphones in the 70s, tv and radio very quiet, did cover my ears when trains arrived...

I was so careful, except for the MRI, where I did not readjust my hearing protection, I was still covered, but not to 100%.

It is a very difficult time, to not be able to escape anymore, to not see much sense in the moment, but we both need to fight for recovery, it is what keeps me alive tbh. We are 2 weeks in, there is still hope.

I was never aware of it, but many DJ´s have Tinnitus. Carl Cox, Luke Slater, Jody W... they manage it somehow, of course we both don´t know how severe their condition actually is. Slater once said, I believe, that he does not hear anything above 14k, that he has white noise tvs next to his bed, its crazy how he must be suffering and yet does work as DJ full time.

Beethoven had Tinnitus as well and so does Eric Clapton.

I hope we can both recover and make music again, I for sure will make sure that Tinnitus is becoming a topic in the industry, but first I need to heal. I made similar with child abuse and it raised awarness, money and time will be invested and I will try my best to get everyone help and even more protection on the floors.

btw. the most common reason for changing your music style is actually Tinnitus, I did not know that, either.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. R. David Case

R. David Case Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I can help you, I have eliminated or reduced tinnitus in 446 people with a sound mix I invented, download it at https://tinnitusmix.com and play all night every night until tinnitus is gone. It's free and does work best on sound induced tinnitus and sudden onset tinnitus. It works best on Koss KTX-PRO1 headphones (24 kHz). Here is what the moderator of the largest Facebook tinnitus group said about Tinnitus Mix;

brian douglas testimony.png
      brian cures 6 year old.png
      Screenshot_2019-03-13 I Invented a Sound That Knocked Out My Tinnitus(1).png
      from t talk t gone.png

10. R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I can help you, check out my post here from a few minutes ago.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do studio headphones work?

12. R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      They need to go to 24 kHz, but until you get the Koss you can use what you have.

13. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They go up to 35khz? Is it good enough?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, I would still get the Koss because they have titanium drivers and I think it makes a difference, but if you get good results with what you got I would love to hear about it.

great disconection.png

15. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No offense , but to me you sound like a Koss Salesman. These are over 200 euro headphones I am using. I am interested in your method, but you should not push those Koss headphones so hard.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have tested many headphones and they are the cheapest that go to 24 kHz, many of the 446 people I have helped eliminate tinnitus had no money and could not afford $350 Bose headphones. I have nothing to do with Koss, you can use what you want but the Koss KTX-PRO1 have titanium drivers and I think this could be why they work so well.

from t talk t gone.png
      brians friend t gone 6.png
      person 382 mirical.png

17. sirhand
      Anime

sirhand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2018 4:30 pm
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4 hour (apparently too loud) headphone session
      @Strife_84 It helps to recognize that if you hadn't made this mistake, you wouldn't have learned your lesson. Who knows how much longer you would have been mixing too loud. It would have caught up with you eventually anyway, and it could have been worse.

18. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was the long hours and high frequencies that did this most likely. Mixing cannot be done with speakers or headphones blasting full volume. But it's too late now.

19. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My main tinnitus noise is the high-pitched whine like a dentist's drill, usually in one ear. It's the same sound I have had immediately after a concert and sometimes the next day throughout decades of concert going, but now it is with me permanently. I have an assortment of other weird and wonderful noises of which I am also aware at various time.

If you go to concerts, kids (and everyone else), don't do like I did. Protect your ears!

20. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I have played guitar for 30+ years. Tons of loud music, amps, plus I owed a manufacturing business. I did use hearing protection, but over the years I have had a ton of too loud blasts and bangs, drummers, bass and keys, vocalists, machines, guns, you name it. I wished I would have known the tests from the hearing doctor were only going up to 8 or 10k. They would tell me my hearing was fine, but I was killing my high end. I am now below 8k on my left and 10k on the right. I got tinnitus a number of years ago, but it was just a tiny whisper. A few months ago it got much louder, and I got sensitive to noise. I have bought a meter, and I don't play over 70 db if I can help it. I am always wearing earplugs. I tried taking prednisone (50mg for 5 days.) I think it made it worse. That was a week ago. I have recovered from the prednisone and things are settling down. I take magnesium, NAC, b12, D3, and Turmeric. I tried playing a sound that was like my tinnitus and I thought it was helping. I went to sleep with it on for less than 2 hours at a very low volume and my tinnitus was louder when I woke up and has not returned to the lower level. I would be careful with experimenting with sound. Now is the time to use earplugs, stay away from too much noise and if your ears are sore stop and give them a break. I noticed today I am not very sensitive to sound. It seems like I might be turning a corner. I will probably never play loud again, or be on stage with a drummer unless it is an electronic kit. But I can still practice at room volume (50-60 db). I can record. So music is not over, just limited by my past stupidity. I won't use headphones anymore or earbuds. This will present challenges when I am trying to record takes, but I will work it out.

Good luck and watch out for your ears. They are the most valuable microphones you will ever own.

Edit: My tinnitus is a high pitched hiss. Not too loud, but unfortunately if I use earplugs, it is louder. The softer I play my guitar, the louder the t is in comparison.

21. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Earing Are you saying you took all precautions and still got tinnitus?

22. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      No. I did use earplugs, but not always. I had loud amps, and played beside loud drummers etc. I did use protection but not always. The other thing is just how easy it is to play at 95+db. It sounds glorious. When I recently got a meter, it was an eye opener how easy it was to go from loud to really loud. The tone sounds great, the difference is not that noticeable. But I pounded my ears all my life. I probably wore earplugs at work and with my guitar more than many people I knew, but it was not enough.

• Hug Hug x 1