Anyone Abandoned Earplugs and Switched to Earmuffs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by victoria9273, Oct 31, 2019.

1. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I abandoned earplugs for a year just because they make loud noises inside my ear whenever I put them on and off. The friction is unbearable and with that regard, I bought earmuffs and feel that my life has got better by using them.

Plus, I feel that I'm more comfortable with my hyperacusis because earmuffs are quite easy to wear and take off. I only use it whenever I ride a subway and before the public announcement speaker.

Is anyone like me here in this forum?

2. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I did switch to earmuffs at a time because they generated less pressure inside my ears. Earmuffs are also best in the unlikely event that you have to eat with them on, and this happens sometimes if there is noise for some reason.

3. RishRamsey
      Depressed

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      So if you are in a loud restraunt with earplugs in, would you have any difficulty in eating? Or is not recommended to eat while having earplugs in?

4. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, you will hear the munching super loud, and you cannot eat crispy things, like the crust of bread, things like that, or dry fruits.. but with extreme hyperacusis sometimes you have to choose between 2 bad options.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. JacquelineG
      Thinking

JacquelineG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I use both, but I recently purchased some very lightweight muffs and they work wonderfully. I don't hear my own T as much with the muffs and they guard against sharp ear inducing pain like pots and pans, turning on and off my home alarm, etc. Just bought another pair to keep handy in my car.

6. TnH

TnH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and Acoustic Shock
      To make your voice quiet with earplugs, push them deeper till theres a full seal but that's slightly uncomfortable

7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The earplugs, in my mind, are better at reducing the loudness of the noises. I certainly rely on them more.

I have a set of low profile ear muffs. I like them for two situations. The first is with the earplugs for prolonged noise exposure as a back up and to reduce the vibrational bone conduction to the ear, such as power tool equipment, and even using the vacuum. The other is for short term noise protection, such as when using the paper shredder which is only a minute or two most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
    8. JudyM
      Frustrated

JudyM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      can you please tell me the brand and model of the muffs you bought? thxs

9. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      My ear muffs are an off brand from Amazon that are low profile, with NRR 20.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I can recommend Peltor Optime III, which are great for attenuation but kind of bulky. And otherwise Peltor X3, which are more compact.

11. JacquelineG
      Thinking

JacquelineG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I purchased Howard Leight low profile LOf with rating of 24. They work great, fit nicely, and fold into a small ball. I ended up buying another one. I use them even inverted sometimes so I can wear my hat, style my hair, or put them on off quickly for a very short period.

12. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Has anyone tried the shooting earmuffs "Honeywell 1013530 Howard Leight Impact Sport"?

How do they compare to the Peltors.. to the Optime III or the X3? I have read mixed reviews about those Howard Leights for hunting but there is the possibility to hear with them and they attenuate noise over 85dbs apparently. Has anyone with hyperacusis tried them?

13. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      I bought a pair of Peltors but found they were a little too much--the noise reduction was quite a lot and they also felt like they created suction on my eardrums (not to mention lots of occlusion effect from walking, for example). I would love to find a pair of earmuffs like the Sennheiser HD280 headphones I use for the same purpose. The downside of the headphones is that they have this long thick cord than bangs against everything and anything (which in turns creates more ear pain when I'm wearing them). They don't need to be extreme, just something that I can put on/off quickly without worrying about suction.

• Agree Agree x 1