Anyone Gone Through Gabapentin Withdrawal without a Permanent Increase in Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by pleasejuststop, Jul 10, 2020.

1. pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      How long were you on Gabapentin, the dosage?

I just started it and I want to make sure it's worth it, because nothing really helps this anxiety and I've been having nightmares as a side effect, but I'll stay on it if it's worth it to try.

I'm worried because I keep reading about how people experienced their tinnitus getting much worse after trying to taper off and being stuck on it.

If I want to stop and my tinnitus gets worse, and I'm stuck on it with the vivid disturbing nightmares, I think I'll lose my mind.

2. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tried gabapentin for about three months. Ramped up to a dosage of 2400 mg per day. After it seemed clear it was not having any effect at 2400 mg, I tapered off of it pretty quickly over a two week period (that taper schedule as suggested by my doctor). There was no effect on my tinnitus, positive or negative.

There is at least one study from a reputable tinnitus researcher, Dr. Carol Bauer of Southern Illinois University, that concludes gabapentin can be helpful for tinnitus. A few years ago I had the opportunity to hear Dr. Bauer speak at an ATA tinnitus support group meeting. She shared that she personally suffers from intrusive tinnitus.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16652071/

https://nrc.siu.edu/members/bauer.php

• Like Like x 1
    3. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A series of unfortunate events
      Hi @pleasejuststop. Are you still taking the Gabapentin? How are things going?