Anyone Gone Through Gabapentin Withdrawal without a Permanent Increase in Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by pleasejuststop, Jul 10, 2020.

1. pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      How long were you on Gabapentin, the dosage?

I just started it and I want to make sure it's worth it, because nothing really helps this anxiety and I've been having nightmares as a side effect, but I'll stay on it if it's worth it to try.

I'm worried because I keep reading about how people experienced their tinnitus getting much worse after trying to taper off and being stuck on it.

If I want to stop and my tinnitus gets worse, and I'm stuck on it with the vivid disturbing nightmares, I think I'll lose my mind.

2. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tried Gabapentin for about three months. Ramped up to a dosage of 2400 mg per day. After it seemed clear it was not having any effect at 2400 mg, I tapered off of it pretty quickly over a two week period (that taper schedule as suggested by my doctor). There was no effect on my tinnitus, positive or negative.

There is at least one study from a reputable tinnitus researcher, Dr. Carol Bauer of Southern Illinois University, that concludes Gabapentin can be helpful for tinnitus. A few years ago I had the opportunity to hear Dr. Bauer speak at an ATA tinnitus support group meeting. She shared that she personally suffers from intrusive tinnitus.

Effect of gabapentin on the sensation and impact of tinnitus

Carol Bauer

• Like Like x 1
    3. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi @pleasejuststop. Are you still taking the Gabapentin? How are things going?

4. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      But does she personally take Gabapentin, I wonder?

• Good Question Good Question x 1