Anyone with MES (Musical Ear Syndrome) / Musical Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sweet Caroline, Oct 3, 2016.

1. BIRDNAME

BIRDNAME Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow/ possible traumatic experience
      Musical Ear Syndrome and receiving vibrations. Very sensitive touch and the body's reactions to cold and heat. it all comes together. I sometimes manage to quiet down the music when I concentrate hard on a difficult logical task or painting intricate colorful patterns.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. PebblesForNow
      Busy

PebblesForNow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune disease and noise exposure (concert)
      Hi Nate - Do you still have the music issue? Has it faded at all with time?

3. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      How are you feeling now? Do you still have it? I'm going through something similar. Usually it's with the AC or fan, but I also get things get stuck in my head. Whatever genre I listen to or loud sound I'm exposed to, it echoes in my head for hours and it's extremely frightening.

4. AvidReader
      Tired

AvidReader Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/Eustachian Tube Dysfunction/TMJ/Meniere's??
      Hope you don't mind me replying? I have musical hallucinations 24/7 where music is playing constantly in my ear - full songs, film scores, anything & everything.

Sometimes I have the same song or even just the introduction to the song repeating over & over for days without breaks. It is affected by outside noise such as rain which makes it sound as if it is being played on an old radio with that 'tinny' sound quality. I also find that if I hear something such as a car alarm, then I can hear it for hours after. I've also recently found that I can sometimes manipulate what I'm hearing into a particular song or if I am reading, my brain picks a relevant tune. It's scarily fascinating.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Do you suffer from profound hearing loss? I don't hear music 24/7 from what I've noticed. Mine is more like an intense ear worm. Sometimes the fan creates music or chatter but it's not always present, it depends on the fan and how I even point it.

I forgot to mention loudness seems to trigger it. I've also been taking Prednisone again and I don't know if that's making it easier for my ears to be more sensitive?

6. AvidReader
      Tired

AvidReader Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/Eustachian Tube Dysfunction/TMJ/Meniere's??
      Not sure about hearing loss. I haven't been tested since this all started in February this year as I have hyperacusis too which would make it difficult for me to sit through a hearing test at present. The hospital took my temperature using an ear thermometer last week & it beeped in my ear & I about shot out of the seat & it left me with a recurring beeping noise for about 24 hours so I'm wary of having the audio test yet. I don't feel as if I have noticeably lost hearing though.

Musical hallucinations are linked to hearing loss but not always. The 24/7 music is like being tuned into a radio station all day. When it is more manageable I even find myself singing along to it at times, but when it's bad it's like being in a club - so loud, my ear feels like it is physically vibrating. The other evening I had just gotten in bed when the opening bars of Bohemian Rhapsody started. I had 5 hours of all 6 minutes of the song on repeat at high volume. Freddie had never sounded better, but suffice to say, if I don't hear it again for a decade it would be too soon.

Do you find that noise at certain levels of pitch affect you more than others?

7. Patsyi

Patsyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum perforated
      After about 2 weeks of tinnitus (I have only had it since damaging my eardrum 3 months ago) and hearing loss, I began to "hear" a male choral tune at the same time as the other regular sounds from tinnitus. It's usually a repetitive part of some tune, and like a chanting, church group or even scary demonicish, opera-like. Sometimes it switches to something else like a 40s jazz singer with a horn section or the same tune as the choral one mentioned but without the singers. If I have other sounds like TV or radio going, I don't notice it but in moments of silence it always comes back. It isn't music I have a history of listening to so I don't know why it got in my head.

EDIT:

Well, I did forget to mention another change that happened. After a couple of weeks of that male choral ditty, I started to "hear" one verse Walking in a Winter Wonderland for about 2 weeks. I'm familiar with that one of course but these others not that I'm aware of. SO much stuff filters through our brains that we could never remember all of it, not consciously anyway.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. cjbhab
      Curious

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      I’ve had musical tinnitus going on for a couple years now. Fortunately it has not really bothered me.

What happens is in the evening, when trying to sleep, I will hear what sounds like a party in the distance with music playing and I can hear the bass. In reality there is nothing there, you would swear the neighbours were blasting music.

The other night I could vividly hear the Halo 2 theme music playing in my head. This only happened once, but what’s ridiculous about it is I couldn’t even tell you what that theme sounds like anymore. Haven’t played it in years. If I heard it, it’s instantly recognizable though. The brain is weird.

• Like Like x 1
    9. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I don't visit the boards often, but I somehow missed this thread a while back and wanted to say a few things.

First, MES is not always treated by Seroquel. Chronic earworms or repetitive song lyrics could maybe be treated by it, but it depends on the patient and the cause. In some cases, anti-hallucinatory drugs have helped. But it's not the same for every person and for some there is no treatment other than getting used to it or avoiding the trigger.

Also, MES is not the same as an earworm. An earworm is when you get a song or some lyrics stuck in your head and is more like an obsessive compulsive type symptom. With MES, you actually hear music. There are always anecdotal stories about people hearing Christmas carols and such and not being bothered. That's great, but MES can also be extremely debilitating. Imagine having to listen to an awful string of notes repeating all the time or being woken up every morning at 3:00 AM with it.

But yeah, a lot of us here have MES and tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. JayZee
      Stressed

JayZee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nortriptyline / Hydromorphone / Unknown
      I have exactly the same thing happening to me.

Even though you think you haven't heard this music before, you probably have and your brain remembers it.

Sometimes, when I get stuck on a certain musical pattern and it's been driving me crazy for too long, I try to "change the channel" by playing a song I know well. Often what happens to me next is that my brain will pick up the repetitive refrain from the song (three, four or five notes) and play that in an endless loop. When you get tired of that, you can just try to move to the next song.

It's hard to get rid of completely.

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Try white noise.

12. JayZee
      Stressed

JayZee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nortriptyline / Hydromorphone / Unknown
      Unfortunately, white noise drives my reactive tinnitus wild.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

13. LouLou
      Wishful

LouLou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety and deprivation of sound after retiring
      Hello all,

Musical Ear Syndrome has been a four-year journey of hell for me, but I now have some hope, and I want to share with you all what I have learned in the hope that it can help you, too.

It all started when I left my stressful banking job, my husband and I decided to go for early retirement and get out of the rat race and travel. I remember thinking how I wanted to rid my head of all the stress and worry, and replace it with calm and silence. Little did I know what was around the corner.

My brain started to play music - all familiar songs - in about eight second repetitive loops. At first I figured it was just an earworm. But it didn't go away and became highly distressing as many of you will relate to. My anxiety and stress level went higher, I couldn't sleep, and the music in my head became constant. My doctor, who didn't know what to do with me, gave me sleeping pills and Seroquel. The WORST possible decision.

I became hooked on the sleeping pills, just to get any kind of relief, and the Seroquel did nothing but perhaps made the symptoms worse. I was referred to a psychiatrist and treated for mental illness for 3 years. Never, during this time, was musical tinnitus or MES even explained to me as a possibility. I just assumed I was going crazy. I considered taking my life, because nothing was working. That's how bad it got for me.

Then, two things happened, which have changed my life around:

1) I stumbled across hearinglosshelp.com (no affiliation) and reached out to the site author, Neil Bauman, Ph.D., who is in fact the doctor who named this condition "Musical Ear Syndrome". I spent an hour on the phone with him, and learned as much as I could about the condition. I highly recommend you visit his site and reach out to him, he tries to answer everyone individually.

2) I visited an audiologist, who ruled out hearing loss and suggested I receive the same treatment as a severe case of regular tinnitus. She suggested I wear Widex Hearing Aids playing Zen Sounds 24/7, and receive Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

Widex Zen sounds are "fractal sounds" - almost like wind chimes - so they sound musical enough to satisfy your musical brain but they are completely random, no patterns or repetition, they are generated within the hearing aid. So if you struggle with always "hearing" the last song that played, it's because it gets committed to your short-term memory and the brain calls upon it as the easiest melody to play in your brain. Fractal sounds, on the other hand, don't stick in the brain. This, for me, was a complete revelation.

I now wear hearing aids playing these "wind chimes" 24/7, yes even while sleeping. They helped me get off the sleeping pills and all other medication, and I am much calmer. I play them at the quietest volume possible and they give me enough sound stimulation to shut my musical brain off, so I don't have to think about it every second of every day and can re-focus my attention to what is truly important in life.

Like many of you, I have developed hyperacusis and have difficulty going into grocery stores or other people's homes etc. because I have had to remove myself from musical environments for so long. It is still uncomfortable for me to hear real music because the fear has been embedded in me that it will stick in my brain and drive me crazy. And, when I take my hearing aids out even for a few minutes, this fear becomes warranted again. For this, I am undergoing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), which is helping me to understand that I cannot avoid or fight MES, but have to learn to accept it without judgement.

For anyone really struggling with this condition, please know that you are not alone and that there is help available. This study talks about fractal tones and how they help tinnitus. It is well worth a read.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1