Are Some More Vulnerable Than Others?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SilverSpiral, Sep 16, 2016.

1. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I am still dumbfounded as to how my hearing has been so severely affected the one time I went to a show without earplugs, but others do so multiple times for upwards of a lifetime? What makes some so vulnerable? It isn't just tinnitus, but fullness in the most affected ear, and hearing is distorted in both ears... Do some people's ears simply get damaged more easily?

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Must have been all the cumulative but unnoticed damage you had prior to that big one

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I really was careful all my life, I've never liked loud stuff. Always had earplugs at events. Never used headphones at anything other than extremely low volume.

4. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think some people are. I was born deaf in my"quiet" ear. Although I have always had normal hearing in my now t ear, that doesn't necessarily mean that my ear is without flaws. Some people have flawed parts of their ears or have damage from ear infections. Other people may have health problems which affect the health of their ears. Good ear health is more than just wearing hearing protection. It's what you eat and how you take care of your whole body. I never realized how delicate the ear was until now. I wish I had sooner.

5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      There are so many genes (a hundred ?) and so many process involved in our hearing... Some are far more vulnerable I believe.

6. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Answer is Yes, absolutely.
      Jkph75 and Foncky are right.
      Just from my point of view: As far as i can remember (even when I was kid) i had tinnitus when came into quiet place from a loud environment. Even when I've been exposed to "not too loud" noises, and for a short time, tinnitus was here when there was suddenly quiet.
      - Maybe this was the indication that I am predisposed to get tinnitus when i suffer permanent hearing damage. - But of course I had no idea such thing could happen. No one ever had.
      So, maybe this can be a key to forecast. Simple test: stimulate person's ears with noise and close him into quiet room (or use earplugs). If tinnitus is noticed, there is risk. Should be serious warning: you are predisposed, you have too sensitive ears and you are in serious danger, if you don't protect you hearing.

7. Karel
      Tired

Karel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      My hearing definitely has been 'weak' all my life. I remember as a kid we had an old TV and its volume slider was broken, sometimes if someone touched it the TV would suddenly jump to the maximum volume. Whenever that would happen it always had me running for the hills. It didn't have that effect on my siblings or parents. All my life I got startled easily by sudden noises, I never liked balloons, fireworks etc. So yeah, looking back I believe I've always had vulnerable hearing somehow.

8. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Same here, fireworks, balloons, any sudden bangs always made me jump.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Even when a dog barks :p

10. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Haha no not that bad!

11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Our bodies and genetic makeups are all different....

12. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      Do thresholds play apart in this maybe