At My Wits' End — Does Anyone Else's Tinnitus Fluctuate with Weather / Season Changes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by coco2032, Nov 9, 2018.

1. coco2032

coco2032 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      I've had my tinnitus for over 10 years. Normally it's just sort of a background noise, so I know it's there, but in the last couple of years it's gotten more severe especially in the winter months. It becomes a continuous high pitched tone with basically no variation. I've tried various things, seen an ENT, worked with an audiologist, acupuncture, supplements. I can't say anything for sure provides relief. I also work with a therapist which helps, but when I'm alone or even stressed at work and can't focus because of the tinnitus, I reach my wits end and don't know what to do.

Does anyone else's tinnitus seem to fluctuate with weather or season changes? I live in the Midwest US which is known for drastic weather changes, sometimes within the same day. I would appreciate feedback or advice from others on what might help quiet my tinnitus or help with coping. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I think that with weather changes come pressure changes. This could have something to do with ETD, but I'm not a doctor. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Are you exposing yourself to loud noises (bars/ clubs/ concerts / movies)? Medications? Do you ever wear hearing protection?

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @coco2032

One of the most important things to know about tinnitus is what originally caused it which you have not mentioned? Tinnitus doesn't usually appear out of nowhere. Many things can be responsible for the onset of tinnitus. The most common is exposure to loud noise. If you are a regular user of headphones, headsets or going to places where loud music is played or work in a noisy environment, any one of these things or a combination of them can make your tinnitus worse.

I doubt it is the weather that has caused your tinnitus to become worse although anything is possible. Assuming that you do not have any hearing loss and no underlying medical problem within your auditory system or body causing an increase in the tinnitus, nor medication is responsible; then the likely reason is "sound". Consider what I have mentioned above and if anything sounds familiar this is the cause of your tinnitus becoming worse.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Hey man,

I've recently got tinnitus and I can't seem to find the reason. It maybe vascular or from medication or accumulated noise exposure throughout the years.
      Anyway I've had vascular problems since childhood and they get worse in autumn and spring.
      I can definitely tell that when weather changes (rain, snow, etc) I start to feel more fatigued, get cold hands and feet, sometimes migraines. I notice that in those moments my tinnitus feels louder and overwhelming while normally I feel it mostly on my left side. It gets better afterwards.

I don't know if this is of any consolation to you.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      coco2032

coco2032 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      I try not to go into loud environments without wearing hearing protection, mainly earplugs. I do have H along with my T, so being in loud environments without hearing protection is painful and gives me bad headaches.

I don't take any medications on a regular basis, but I do occasionally take a 1MG lorazepam tablet to sleep. I also take some supplements like magnesium, probiotics, vitamin D, sometimes a multivitamin. I've been experimenting with hemp oil, just a few drops under my tongue about an hour before bed to see if that helps me relax to sleep.

I also work with a chiropractor, I go at least twice a month for adjustments. I try to exercise every day, at least take a 20 minute walk, or hit the treadmill, use light free weights, etc. I like to think I'm in pretty good physical shape compared with others my age. I try to eat right, not too much junk food. I don't have more than one cup of coffee a day, some days I don't have any caffeine.

I do have some hearing loss in the high frequency ranges, the loss is greater in my right ear and that is where I mainly notice my T is, on the right side. Maybe it's not weather related, who knows...that's just when it seems to flare up and get worse...at least that's how it appears to me, but maybe that's just coincidence or me feeling anxious because I think my T is going to get worse because the seasons are changing and it's getting colder and there's less moisture in the air.

I've made an appointment with my audiologist for next week just to check in, get a hearing test, see if there are any new options since it's been just over a year that I've visited her. I do have hearing aids, I wore them several months after I got them, which was the last time my T got bad, but I really didn't notice a difference in my T with wearing the hearing aids full time. The hearing aids do have some sound masking options. Unfortunately none that really mask the high pitch of my T.

But I'll also keep working with my therapist. Acceptance is the best option when a flare up occurs for me, but that is not always easy. I'm confident that my T will lessen over time. It's just not knowing how long this bad patch will last that keeps me anxious.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @coco2032 ,
      Cold weather spikes my tinnitus but could also be if you grit your teeth more when cold.
      love glynis

7. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      This is very important. It seems you know what you have to keep doing so keep it up! Seeing the audiologist might provide some other options for you to try.

8. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      My T is also like a weather forecast. Here in Spain winter has just kicked in. The great thing over here is we got a lot of sunny and cold days. The moment a high pressure is near by my tinnitus gets more annoying, and then eventually gets back to its baseline...

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      coco2032

coco2032 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      I think that's similar to what I'm experiencing here, except in the US midwest, the daytime gets very short in the winter months, and sometimes we get no sun for days at a time. However, yesterday it was very sunny and almost 40F. My T was relatively quiet, just a distant background noise. But I woke up this morning around 5am with my T very loud again. The temp dropped overnight again into the mid 20sF. So today is no sun and chilly. I listen to nature sounds in the background when my T is like this, crickets chirping, mainly. It similar to my T and helps mask it so I don't get too anxious.

10. peggie smith

peggie smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @coco2032 We must be neighbors.. I live in the miswest too. My T DEFINATELY reacts to weather systems. Yesterday, I was sitting on the couch and my T jumped up a couple of notches and then hit a super high pitch ‘weeeeeeee’ that made me jump up off the couch saying, ‘What the..!’ It had been a while since I had such a spike and sure enough, a turbulant weather pattern was approaching.. I immediately looked at my weather app to see how long this blasted system will be around and when I will hopefully (because we worry it will stay at it’s worst) return to ‘baseline.’ I also think that spikes due to weather (wind and cold are also big contributors) are my main triggers not food or the other top cited contributors. Side note~ MSG has similar horrible spike and that dreadful high pitch. No more Doritos for me (paleo diet now) or Lawrys.. always reading labels. One interesting observation is that my T is at it’s worse when I wake up but when I get up and moving it gets better but not from masking everyday sounds but from a relief in pressure from laying down. Clogged sinuses and increased ear pressure possibly. Getting back to the weather~ last fall we had weeks of turbulant weather and I got so depressed. But then I returned to baseline and I started to get out of the funk. I just wish I could pop a decongestant but this trigger effects the inner ear and I don’t think there is any medication to help ease it only patience and time. I could go on but please just know that you are not alone with the effect of weather and T.. I also put nature sounds on to mask- it’s the only thing that works for me. God bless you and everyone on here~ Stay positive. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to manage which will affect your overall health as well~ :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I have not noted any change in my symptoms from the weather. Aside from additional noise exposure, it seems stress is playing a larger role in mine.

Was curious if you are using foam or musician ear plugs, or something else?

12. friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      i like to think that the weather has an influence on my T. But as my T comes from loud Music, i guess its just that my mood goes a bit down(er) when the sky is grey instead of the sun shining. Therefore my T feels even louder.

13. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Second year in a row mind got a bit worse around this time.

I’m mostly convinced it’s sinus inflammation from too much artificial heat.

I wake up with a nose that feels like ive been partying with Charlie Sheen.

14. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Mine has gone through the roof today. It was +2 yesterday and today is -12. Coincidence?