Autifony Therapeutics Phase II Study for AUT00063, for the Treatment of Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by attheedgeofscience, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I think the SF drug is more likely to come to market anyways because it is first and foremost an epilepsy drug, and since it is so close to retigabine thats already in the market but without the side effects (I know, its still speculation) theres actually a good chance I would think. Only time will tell if it helps with tinnitus as well though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      I'll refrain from getting my hopes up too much about SF as well. But when they start humantrials here in the US, I'll try to get in on it. I guess there won't be much new to discuss for a while, so I think I'll sign off for the time being to help forget about my T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      It's back to habituation, folks! It will be 10 to 100 years before we have a chance for relief. SF0034 is likely only an attempt to make some money from an existing compound (retigabine). Fluorinated, my ass. How do you even know potassium channels holds the key to our problem?

Go jump from a plane (remember to use a parachute) to take your mind off of it.

Tinnitus treatments are far, far away. Either you live your life now and hope to habituate or die trying.

I apologize for being pessimistic...but maybe also realist?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    4. Hope2015

Hope2015 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      @Atlantis, we know or suppose that potasium channels holds the key to our problem because as you saw, there were some people who tried trobalt and lowered their tinnitus, and some of them 2 or 3 got cured. And there is a link between epilepsy and tinnitus, it goes on the same principle, hyperactive neurons.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I keep thinking, ENT's are actually prescribing the right treatment, when they say: "Go home and live with it."

I'll be dead and gone before Tinnitus is ever cured. Dreamers, dream on! Realists, unite!

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Fuck medication. Even if one was successful we'd have to wait light years while they doddle around with all the stupid paper work, clinical trials, FDA (i, e) The dumbass slow moving system of the world.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Well the alternative is doing as Nazis did in the 30's and 40's. Find a group of people that you think are not worthy of living and experiment on them however you want. Results are probably going to be quick but on the other hand you might end up killing roughly 6 million people.

The research is slow because safety is the number one priority. And I wouldn't want it any other way. I don't want other people to die just to maybe treat what I have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Not only the Nazis but the Americans have also had their fair share of experimenting on people including prisoners......and even quite recently too and even en masse.....frightening what goes on in the world.....

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. c0ldsun
      Pacman

c0ldsun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      Targeting potasium channels is only half of the truth and will never result in a drug for t, same will be for Trobalt and SF0034. I see only a solution in fixing hair cells that brain can be re-adjusted.
      So we will have a glimpse of hope earliest in 10-15 years. Thread can be unpinned now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @cOldsun,

I agree, that treating T with only a drug for epilepsy, is limited indeed. We need to dig deeper to find a true cure for T.

Curing hearing loss alone, will not cure someone who has T without hearing loss. ATEOS stated on another thread, that even if we fixed the hearing loss, in someone who has had chronic T for awhile, we may not cure them of T. The brain is so wrapped up with T at that point, it may not be affected by hearing restoration.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      Do you believe the regeneration of stem cells will solve Tinnitus ? how can you explain a lot of peaople suffering from tinnitus and their cells are not dead ?

12. jeffie7
      Wishful

jeffie7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2003
      Lots of Debbie downers in here. In the medical world nothing is possible until it is. They will figure it out at some point. I understand having this trial fail really hit a nerve with a lot of people myself included I was hopeful but it is what it is and other things are in the works. Anyone who had hope for this drug should be able to have hope that other things will come out.

I highly disagree. The fact that many people with perfect hearing have tinnitus tells us there's more to it than just hair cells. Personally I have tinnitus both in my head and in my ears. The ear part sits right at my hearing loss spot. Makes sense. My head sounds are all over the place and has come to me many years after my ear tinnitus set into place. In fact my hearing test hasn't changed since I got tinnitus many years ago.

IMO something like the ear injections to flip off the hair cells will help with my ear tinnitus. But I don't think it would help with the ringing in my head. Something like a potassium channel drug might help my head but maybe not my ears. Just assuming.

but to say the drug needs to target the ears for tinnitus, only covers some people with tinnitus. Since many people with it have great hearing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      Its impossible to have normal hearing with T.
      Take someone with normal hearing and without T make the hearing test and you will have some results.
      Repeat then the same test with the same person but with a whisteling nearby, you won t have the same results. Its impossible. Hearing loss always coexist with tinnitus.
      Hearing tests are sometimes not enough accurate to detect this.

14. jeffie7
      Wishful

jeffie7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2003
      Tinnitus caused by hearing loss...

I agree people with ringing in their head will have that range of hearing *masked* but no matter what you do to amp up the hearing in that range there's no fixing damaged hearing when it's not damaged. That's where the potassium drugs would come into play to hopefully fix the sounds that mask it.

15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I am happy for you man.

• Like Like x 2
    16. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Haha..I like you...Yes..I agree.

17. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      No, it is enough to allow experiments on primates (higher) they are quite similar to us. Results would me beneficial after I phase (not like in mice).

Stupid animal rights, they still are producing (somewhere) aligator shoes, purses (for rich people) , but they do not use animals in life threatening conditions for people!

18. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dan,

I'm happy for you too! Really. };-)

19. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Interesting how we all reacted to the failure of this experimental drug. In all of the previous reactions one can read the 5 stages of loss and grief.

My advice to you all is not to lose your hope in wat is possible in the near future and to take some time before reacting out of anger or disappointment. If we all work for more awareness, within the possibilities we have, a solution will be found one day!!

Stay strong all.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I hope the pot doesn't steam too much, otherwise someone could get hurt...

21. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Well... the pot is steaming next to my ears since April 2014. Instead of constantly turning up the heat let's hope someone can turn it off in a distant future so that we can have a cup of tea in silence :sneaky: .

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    22. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      "Autifony Therapeutics aims to develop new drugs to treat hearing disorders using pioneering science
      Hearing disorders affect a significant proportion of the population, and while devices such as hearing aids and cochlear implants can ease the problems for some, many people suffer silently. As well as causing social isolation and distress, hearing loss also brings with it a considerable economic cost to society, with increased risk of unemployment, the need for carer support, and other costs.

By targeting specific ion channels which regulate neuronal activity within the auditory system, our new drugs will help to improve hearing and reduce symptoms associated with hearing loss.

Autifony are also using their pioneering approach to develop novel treatments for other serious disorders of the central nervous system, such as schizophrenia."

No more Tinnitus.....

• Funny Funny x 1
    23. Gill Hayes
      Happy

Gill Hayes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress I think
      Let's hope the drugs they develop for other conditions have an affect on tinnitus too . . . you never know

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    24. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      One of them certainly being T

• Like Like x 3
    25. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, hopefully we can get it off label... If not there's always that SF drug. Bloody waiting times.

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Why? I never implied I was happy???

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    27. Gill Hayes
      Happy

Gill Hayes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress I think
      There's such a lot of drugs on the market that are prescribed off label, if AUT turns out to have a positive effect on T as well as the primary indication I would hope a doctor would prescribe it off label.
      Yes, I think we will all be watching SF0034 very closely now Danny Boy ! If only the process didn't take so goddamn long but if shows good results as it goes through the stages of trials at least we will have some hope again and that will make the wait more bearable. Fingers crossed for SF0034 now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      @amandine "Not only the Nazis but the Americans have also had their fair share of experimenting on people including prisoners......and even quite recently too and even en masse.....frightening what goes on in the world....."

That's a bold statement to not back it up with any facts. Way to compare the US to the Nazis. Without the US you would be speaking German right now because of the Nazis.. GEEEZ

• Funny Funny x 2
    29. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Thats a bold statement to not back up with any facts. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    30. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      @RaZaH Google Normandy, boom there is your facts

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1