Bad Spike from Speaking with Earplugs on

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      Two days ago in school we had a debate. Everytime we have a group work the class room gets super loud so I decided this time I should look convincing and use earplugs because if I would not use them I would plug my ears with my finger which would look dumb.

I had got my new musician earplugs from the mail and thought I would use them because they would not be do noticeable as normal foam earplugs.

The school day went well and it was time for the debate. I inserted these earplugs in the toilet and came to the class. This debate was like that it was 2 vs 2. So my class mate started telling his opinion about the thing and then it was my turn. My own speaking sound loud. I think the class room was somewhat about 91 dB loud so I was probably speaking with a 95 dB voice (the guys that were on the opposite team told me that they could not hear my voice so they had to come really near to my mouth). I spoke only one minute ~ 58 seconds.

Now it has been almost 48 hours after the incident and today when I woke up my ears were ringing loudly and I couldn't even hear the dog whistle. But after 2 hours I can finally hear it on my right ear. (I have never heard it with my left ear).

Are there any things I could do? I am 60% sure i have damaged my hearing really bad.
      And how many decibels does your own voice come louder when you are speaking earplugs on.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is so frustating because I got this spike from trying to protect my ears.

3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      You were taking louder than a lawnmower? Do you have a dB monitor because I think you are assuming things are louder than they actually are.

Shouting voices are typically around 85 dB. You would need to basically be screaming to be louder than that. Why was the classroom so loud? Was everyone talking at the same time?

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Wait a minute, I just caught this: you couldn't even hear the dog whistle?

What on earth are you talking about? Do you mean an ultra high pitch dog whistle that makes a sound typically inaudible to humans?

Why would you use a dog whistle?!? Weren't you the poster worried about the high pitch sound emitted by devices that scare off mice? The last thing you should be doing is testing your hearing with a dog whistle. :cautious:

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The overuse of earplugs and other hearing protection can sometimes make the symptoms of hypercucusis worse and cause tinnitus to spike.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Tinker Bell Sorry I did not explain this correctly. I meant a YouTube video of a sound that describes what dog whistle sounds to dogs.
      I bet you cant last 2 minutes of a dog whistle

Here is a link to the video. (Put your volume down, and of course when I tested this my phone's volume was at the minimum level)

Yes, everyone were talking at the same time. I should probably buy a decibel meter, but I am pretty sure my voice was around 88-95 dB.

7. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      @Apocalypse77 Yep, I understand what you're saying. When you speak w ear plugs in, your voice sounds louder - this is from the occlusion effect. Unfortunately it also raises the decibels that are being shot back into the inner ear and that could be why you are having a spike.

I have the same problem because I need to speak and project my voice while wearing an earplug and it bothers me a lot. It's sucks. There's no easy answer. There is something though that helps lessen occlusion and that is using a longer earplug in order to fill the ear canal more. Of course you don't want it to touch your eardrum but the more the ear canal is filled, the less occlusion you will get. I just ordered a crapload of different earplugs from amazon and the longest ones I found were these:

https://www.amazon.com/6604-Moldex-...3804944&sr=8-2&keywords=spark+plugs+ear+plugs

I feel for you... I know how loud schools can be. I haven't read all of your posts but I hope you have told all of your teachers what's going on with your T. If not, they need to know your situation so they can look out for you and understand if you need to leave the room quickly, etc.

8. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      You are destroying your hi freq hearing thresholds listening to that! STOP!

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @Apocalypse77

Very doubtful that talking with ear plugs did any damage to your hearing, I have been doing it for over 30 years with no problems. I end talking a little louder then usual, because I can't tell that I am, but that's about it.

If I were you I would just put that thought out of your mind.

I also wear ear plugs when I use my electric shaver, and again with no problems. If you want to worry about something, worry about the important things, like listening to music to loud with ear buds, now that's a real concern.

Take care

Louie
      Quietatnight