Being Alone at Night and Anxiety

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jcb, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Evening everybody

I’ve had tinnitus for over 3 months, I guess you could say I’m getting used to it (even though I still have my down days) but what I’ve noticed is I seem to be anxious at night sometimes, especially if I’m by myself. My partner is working away till Monday and during the day I’m absolutely fine as I can keep my mind occupied, night times seem to make me feel nauseous and I seem to have totally irrational thoughts about everything. I don’t want to go down the medication route... yet.

I was just enquiring how people deal with this?? I tried breathing exercises, I wish I could meditate but at this present time that’s a big no. I feel absolutely stupid for getting myself into a mess like this. It just seems my whole thought process just goes bonkers.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      A few years ago my husband went to visit his parents for a couple of weeks and I had the place to myself. :) A nice break I'll admit, but it felt weird, particularly at night. I kept the lights and the TV on until I felt so sleepy I couldn't keep my eyes open. That way, I wouldn't lie awake in bed.

3. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I don't have an answer Jcb but I get where you're coming from. I like my quiet time but I don't want to be alone with my thoughts for too long right now. Do you have any family or friends you could call and quietly put on speakerphone at night?

• Like Like x 1
    4. Billylongpockets

Billylongpockets Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Im much the same... I want to go to bed but l don't.. When l do my thoughts are just a jumbled mess along with this constant ringing... I'm just not prepaired for this kick up the arse.. I'm trying to channel my thoughts into getting a more healthier life style.. At 5.45am l have a cup of Braggs cider vinegar.. I then go and do 2 miles on a cross trainer between that l have a go at lifting some dumbells , Do some sit ups .. After that my day begins... I have lost just over a stone in a month.. I'm now down to 11 stone 9.
      I'm taking metatone pick me up which is full of vitamins as well as loads of fruit. I eat beetroot which makes your pee turn red...lol. The pain in my head is still there.
      I just don't believe that my life has come to this.. But it has and l must keep going forward ......

• Like Like x 2
    5. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I believe hormones in the body change when we lie down. In addition, the darkness will changes the hormones too. Perhaps cardio exercise during the day will make you sleepy so that when you lay down you will fall right to sleep. If you use a computer before bed, use a program that blocks the blue light from your screen. I use the program f.lux on my computer. It was a free download. I have one on my Android phone called Night Screen. The blue light from computers, tablets, and cellular phone screens can keep us more awake at night and affect the circadian rhythm. Of course do research on software and read the agreements before you install them. :) That's just a few of my suggestions.

• Like Like x 4
    6. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Just wanted to share my similar story...
      During my 2nd month of T I had to go to a conference for 4days.
      I hardly slept those 3nights. I called my husband he spoke for an hour but well he had to sleep becuase he had work.

Then I plugged in my white noise machine, turned on TV, called some people across the globe. The clock was ticking it was 4am. I had sessions at 8am and throughout the day.

I was a mess for 2nights...3rd night I had to sleep in-spite of my heart beating fast.... scared of living alone in hotel room with T. Felt like I was living with a enemy... I was fine during the day and evening.... as nights approach my anxiety increases and heart beats fast... So, I recently download headspace app for better sleeping and that is helping me.

Also, praying or having gods idol right next to me makes me feel that I have some supreme power which is guarding me from T and that wouldn't kill me. Eventually a doctor (ENT) took a detailed picture of ear and explained me how ear works and whats wrong with my ear and explained how that sound wouldn't kill me. The way he explained me and the way he spoke few words of philosophy changed my perspective towards Tinnitus. He just said would you be scared listening to AC or refrigerator noise. Would that affect you.... I know was fighting tinnitus roaming to 5-7 different doctors for their opinions on my T... he just mentioned I better stop fighting it and accept it. The moment you accept it all the panic and the anxiety reduces. So, I am having my own battle.... but I could say as a peer that tell yourself its a damn noise(its hard but keep saying 100..1000times thats what I am doing when I am alone at home). I cried 12days back so I have my bad days too.... these days when I get on to the bed I am prepared that I will hear noise and should not start gettting into spiraling thoughts which causes anxiety. I have a job to do next day so I better get some sleep....(I think) and I turn on a very noisy fan and trying to focus on that and slowly drown into sleep...

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is it a tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water, or is it actually a cup of vinegar?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      T just keeps you awake and it's easy during the day to keep your mind busy, either with work, family and friends, but night time to keep T at bay try to do things for yourself. Take evening classes, go to the gym, do a card playing night, go for a car ride with the radio on low. I do car rides a lot. It helps me.

9. Billylongpockets

Billylongpockets Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi ya Bill,
      I use braggs vinegar with mother.. Mother has all the bits in it.. If the big supermarkets don't have it try your local health shop..
      I put two tablespoons of the vinegar into a glass and put around the same spoons of cold water with it... In another glass l have it half full of cold water. Drink the cold water first and straight after drink the vinegar and then drink another glass of cold water.
      The first drink of water is to line the throat so the vinegar doesn't burn it as its Very acidic. the second glass is to clean the mouth of the vinegar and to put everything into the stomach. I then brush my teeth..
      Once down the hatch l don't feel any discomfort. I do Not have anything to eat or drink for at least an hour..
      They also recommend cider vinegar for horses as it keeps the flies and mozzies away.. So if you do get bitten by the little barstuards ? This will never happen again .
      . Other benefits are that your farts can smell like an orchard.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had been taking Bragg's vinegar with Mother with water, but after I noticed stomach pain, I began just adding it to food. Now I see that back when I was taking it with water, I was using less water than two glasses that you use. I will try taking it your way. Thank you!

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Jcb,
      When you get the silly or strange thoughts when on your own just say to your self STOP! It's just anxiety not me so STOP and take a few deep breats ...
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hope you had a peaceful night last night.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It’s so strange to feel like this as I’ve never suffered from anxiety before. Yes I have great friends and a few family members I like haha. I’ll get through this it’s just gets so frustrating sometimes.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes it’s a bloody viscous cycle sometimes with your thoughts. Congratulations on the weight loss, I’m a big believer of a healthy body and healthy mind. I’ve always been a active person, go the gym, walk a lot with my dog and eat healthy (most of the time). It’s just the nights that seem to get me. Totally agree, that’s all you can do is go forward and have a stern talking to yourself haha.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for that, I’ll take a look at them apps :) I’m a very active person anyway, always like to keep myself fit (maybe not as much as I would like since this) I’ll get there and thanks for your suggestions.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have tried to mask the noise at night, with water, nature sounds which does help to a degree. I think I’m getting there in terms of coming to terms with my T, the anxiety isn’t as bad as it was but it just creeps up on you out of nowhere. I’m not the most religious person but I appreciate it helps you and that’s good. Thanks for your story I appreciate that there’s others going through the same issues as me and hope your doing well. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know Glynis, I wind myself up to a stupid mess sometimes haha but I’ll get there :D the anxiety isn’t as bad as it was so hopefully pushing forward it’ll disappear.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was a bit hectic tbh haha I ended up going for a walk with my dog at 2am..... feel ok today, been for a nice long walk and also went swimming. How’s things with you?

19. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Jcb

My dog has been there for me too. Just yesterday he sensed my anxiety and stood by the door waiting for me to take him for a walk. 2 1/2 miles later I felt much better. I'm not sure how you are JCB but outdoor is usually easier for my T than indoors. 75% of it is masked.

Hope you have another great night!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, he’s my best friend. He’s not the smartest dog by any means haha but wouldn’t have it any other way. They are so good at picking up on somebody’s feelings, it amazes me. I’m the same when I’m outside I’m fine don’t hear it that much, it’s probably about 85% masked.
      Cheers man, you too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's been a fairly easy and quiet week for me. It was nice having a few extra days off for the holiday I expected to get a lot done at home, but instead I did nothing. I guess I really needed a break.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sometimes that’s what you need, time to recharge the batteries.

• Like Like x 2