Best Guess on When Tinnitus Will Be Cured?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Jan 22, 2013.

?

When will tinnitus be cured?

1. 2019

2. 2020

3. 2021

4. 2022

5. 2023

6. 2024

7. 2025

8. 2026

9. 2027

10. 2029

11. Later than 2029

12. Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury

I am subscribed to that school of thought of hearing loss restoration being therapeutic for both tinnitus and hyperacusis. I am interested to see how it will fare in Frequency Therapeutics trial

2. TomPearson
      Transparent

TomPearson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have a good feeling that while a "cure" will never be found, a daily medication will be created that either reduces the volume or removes it completely.

Why cure the condition when you can make more money treating it?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      susan shores device and frequency therapeutics and experimental epilepsy drugs may provide real help in 5-15 years.

I dont know about a total cure for everyone, but reduction yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I agree that a complete cure will never be found for all as thousands of physical conditions can play into tinnitus. Research has found all the physical reasons and there are many treatments available, but the medical community and insurance carriers won't spend the time or money on everyone because of $ and profits.

I'm not sure how hearing loss restoration will play out, but safe non benzo medications to control stress, depression with also a focus on GABAa is on the way and will be available in 2019 and I see this as a welcoming first step.

• Informative Informative x 2
    5. jamino

jamino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20th July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Started during intense heatwave.
      Once AI can utilise all available scientific studies in all languages everywhere in the world, translate and process that data meaningfully and conclude common characteristics of the most promising treatments, adding its own ideas and thought experiments at a rate 100,000 times faster than any human could ever do, then a cure, or actually more likely a multitude of cures (medically intervention-based or otherwise) will pop into existence. And cures for a great many other things as well. This will probably all happen within the next 15 years I should think.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @jamino I agree that AI would be helpful, but their are over 50 medical tests beyond a MRI or CT that may be needed to be used to determine the exact nature of one's physical tinnitus. There are also some methods and treatment that can help some with tinnitus from hearing loss.

A large percentage of those with tinnitus also have physical input. All of the physical inputs are known to researchers. There's a few things that can greatly have involvement to someone that already has tinnitus. Of course loud noise is high on the list, but also is forward head bending and posture. Posture would also include mouth movements. The immune systems also plays a big role as infection and bacteria is not a friend for those with tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. PanM
      Smoking joe

PanM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Musician
      Bets everyone? :cool:

8. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      STOP saying there will NEVER be a cure!

Are you telling me that in 300 years time there won't be? Sure... we won't be around to see it but others will and we can be looked back on as being the pioneers of that cure.

That's if we PUSH for a cure. Sitting around saying there won't be one WON'T make one happen.

The more you keep telling yourselves there won't be one, there won't be one. You reap what you sow.

Change the tune!

Change it to:

'I'm going to die trying'... then get off your arses, get your hands in your pockets and give what you can to those researchers that need it. A little every month.

And if you can't do that - email the government; TV Shows; ANYONE... sign petitions; share petitions; organise fundraisers... do something other than sitting on your backside spending your money on snake oil.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

And think of this - if you have children... don't you want a world for your descendants that's free of tinnitus?

• Like Like x 2
    9. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Daft note - we've all watched Star Trek right?

Gene Roddenberry had in his early shows items back then [in the days of William Shatner] that most people thought impossible - space flight; space stations; transponders. All things that humanity then went on to develop [transponders - mobile phones].

I saw one episode where the Chief of Engineering came back from a fire fight/explosions... told the doctor he was deaf - she put a pair of headphones on him and two minutes later his hearing was restored.

What do we have now? Neuromod headphones. Frequency Therapeutics... looking to regenerate human hair cells.

It's just a matter of time. The question is how long?

10. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yes... but who is going to fund this @Louise?

I'll tell you who... the tinnitus community. If they get THEIR backs into it.

We're all sitting around hoping and waiting for someone else to do it for us - stop - its not going to happen any time soon - UNLESS we make it happen.

11. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I think before we come up with a "cure", we'll have ruined the planet.

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but it's how I feel. It's like with male pattern baldness. I keep hearing about how a cure is "in 5 years" or "in 10 years". It's always in the relatively near future.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Seeing how the standard of living has been collapsing everywhere, I think that in 30 years we will have Venezuela's healthcare system (and everything else). So, NO - if there won't be a cure within the next 5-10 years, there will likely never be a cure, as things are all downhill from here.
      20160516-VENEZUELA-slide-6J79-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v6.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is the ideas like the one above that will get us Venezuela's healthcare system.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Your children are going to have much bigger problems than tinnitus. It is already too late to change that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Cure will prob be a LONG time, but treatments to reduce it will be out within 5 years guaranteed.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      It all comes down to neurostimulation. If that doesn't give us the results we are all waiting for, it's gonna be a long time...

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What goes down goes up Bill. Who knows what'll happen in the next few decades?

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think that bi-modal neuromodulation will be an effective treatment for the next 5 years and it may continue to get better as the right set of parameters come out.

After 5 years, hair cell regeneration will also be a major player in treating or curing tinnitus.

Remember there’s huge money to be made on effective treatments that will drive the market. More new treatments will come as they are starting to understand more how tinnitus comes about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Some changes are irreversible.

20. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      I love your fatalism Bill. You will never be disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      From your lips to g-d's ears.

• Like Like x 1
    22. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      This is so true.

23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Twenty five years ago I knew that things were going to get bad, and things got bad (although I have to admit that I couldn't have imagined that things were going to get This bad).

24. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well I guess I know what you mean. But remember too that twenty five years ago there was no cure for HIV/AIDS. Then as you rightly predicted, things got bad but they still managed to (sort of /near enough to a cure) stop people from dying of HIV/AIDS.

Human ingenuity can still prevail even when things get bad is my point.

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not according to the movie Idiocracy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not seen that one. I'll have to check it out. Always prepared to have what little optimism I have left beaten out of me!

• Funny Funny x 1
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      This is another thread that can't help but veer into politics (or religion if you want to classify as visions of the future as a form of religion).

The terminology of "cure" is the problem, folks. If T is knocked back enough that you barely notice it during the course of your day, for all intents and purposes it's a cure. That appears far more feasible via neuromodulation than a complete cure.

Anything that requires regenerating tissue ala frequency therapeutics is firmly in sci-fi territory. Hooking yourself up to a glorified ipod is an extremely lo-fi solution in comparison. Not that neurostimulation doesn't require R&D--it does, but it's a hell of a lot easier a leap. It's like the difference between the challenge of Lindbergh flying across the Atlantic vs. landing on the moon.

Just think of all the other conditions for which regeneration would represent a cure. Paralysis, arthritis, etc... I'm sure everyone in those communities are following their own Frequency Therapeutics type research projects and crossing their fingers. But it's just not a realistic thing to pin your hopes on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Method and treatments that can help tinnitus from hearing loss?? What are they??

30. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Striveon My dear friend for you as we discussed known cause/reason by PM - veins and arteries - physical blood flow and oxygen supply is where you should consider focus. Antioxidants including resveratrol may help to control COX-2 expression. B12 for control. For you, a little vitamin A from food may help. D3 proper levels is a must.

When arteries and cranial nerves are under stress, hypermobility within neck, jaw - TMJ, face, lips and thyroid may become troubled as muscles and bones tend to weaken. High cholesterol can happen so foods to help control this may help. The only way to know for sure would be by a stand up MRI. TENS treatment for your neck may help you. Don't try to move your neck beyond resistance. Keeping your lower front teeth inline with upper front teeth may help.

Both MuteButton or Susan Shore may help.

• Winner Winner x 1