Best Guess on When Tinnitus Will Be Cured?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Jan 22, 2013.

?

When will tinnitus be cured?

1. 2019

2. 2020

3. 2021

4. 2022

5. 2023

6. 2024

7. 2025

8. 2026

9. 2027

10. 2029

11. Later than 2029

12. Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. rid0871

rid0871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may of 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      had my neck adjusted
      when when when when when?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think to really cure tinnitus without side effects we need to be able to monitor activity of all neurons and nerves of auditory system in real time first. This is far future unfortunately

3. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      But what about a cure with side effect? Do you think we will see it in our lifetime? I'm 24.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      If T is neurological: My concern is, that unlike depression or epilepsy, T is a very specific and localized neurological problem. So to treat in on a non selective level with remeron or benzos or some future pill will always be problematic. It definitely means side effects. So if there were pills in the future they most probably will not be a unproblematic cure.
      It's just guessing but I think there will be no really effective pill available soon, since to influence the T neurons adequately it will affect other areas of the brain as well to an intolerable level.

To make pills which only affect this certain tiny area of the brain is hardly imaginable yet. Maybe very precise minimal invasive brain surgery can fix it in the future cutting the connections for T frequencies, if we know for sure which neurons are the culprit. But for that we need better understanding of the brain and better imaging. This can take imho 20-30 years.

If T is rather ear related or both, maybe stem cells can help to regenerate the ear hair cells. But this will also take time I guess. Also in the range much more than 10years.

Sorry. Positive thing is I have hope for my future kids if they should ever get it.

• Like Like x 1
    5. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      The cure is built in in your body. Fast people, Fast!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Mine was caused by glutamate storm due to benzodiazepine w/d. Do you still think the diet will work for my case?

7. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      You will only know if you try.
      If its really related to this, it seems more likely as due to acoustic trauma, right?!

8. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      BS Tinnitus destroys lives and families plain and simple. 75,000.000 Americans with tinnitus 25,000.000 chronic. Ill bet its the single most reason for suicide. It sucks. The US gov also blows for not doing more for the nations citizens. Theres hardly a med thats not ototoxic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Well, my estimation is that 200 years from now....

...an aliens will land on the Earth, will say "oh, you don't have a cure for tinnitus yet? Here you are."

• Funny Funny x 4
    10. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      There will never be a cure for tinnitus as such. There may be cures for diseases that have tinnitus as a symptom though I'm not holding my breath.

11. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I believe some forms of T will be cured in 10-15 years. For instance I believe we will see a cure for T caused by acustic trauma after which hair cells remain intact but synapses get demaged (cochlear synaptopathy) I see a potential in what Decibel therapeutics is doing in this field. IMHO this will be the first type of T to be cured, perhaps other types of T will follow once they manage to regrow hair cells with a use of stem cells/gene therapy.

12. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      The problem with modern medicine is that unlike other sciences, it does not place too much weight on the central tenet of cause and effect. Medicine does treat some "causes," such as infections, but for most things it is a symptomatic treatment (aka treating the "effects"). T is so complicated because it can be caused by a variety of things. Even the most recent hypotheses for noise induced tinnitus do not provide a clear view of the cause and effect relationship. Without this, there will never be a cure. Furthermore, even if a cause is difficult to determine, there needs to be an objective way to diagnose the condition. For example, if you break a bone, you can see it on an x-ray or some other imaging modality. However, with T, it cannot be detected by an outside observer (and no, frequency matching does not count). So in my view, T needs to be objectively measured before a cause and effect relationship can be established. Then the process of finding a cure will just fall into place.

13. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      The real answer lies in brain mapping.

14. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      5-10 years. By the time you are 50, they will have figured out how to reverse aging.
      Live you life normally and meanwhile protect your ears.

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Not necessarily. Neuropathways don't have to be precisely evaluated and reversed or altered.
      The signal to the auditory cortex or the cortex itself needs to be infiltrated with a device that filters the sound signal that creates the frequency specific to the tinnitus patient.

I will give you a crude analogy. There are two ways to change the air/fuel and timing map on a motorcycle ECM.
      1. change the computer program aka flash of the eprom for the engine ECM
      2. put a piggy back fuel controller that intercepts the signal and modifies it to create the desired fuel/timing map.

No.2 is the way I see in the future...not reinventing the wheel i.e. regressing neuropathways to original non tinnitus state...latter is too difficult. Key will be to digitally hack the auditory cortex to filter the signal.

Only my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I completely disagree FWIW.

17. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Care to explain further?

18. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      In what sense?

19. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      If you know precisely how something works, you can reverse engineer it.

20. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      Not in my lifetime, and hopefully I have about 40 years left.

The best thing for me when I got T was to accept I would have it for the rest of my life. Once I stopped waiting for it to go away or searching for treatments, I began to accept it quickly and moved on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I believe this has been discussed previously. Are you denying the efficacy of hearing aids that target specific frequencies that help hundreds of thousands throughout the world? How are they tuned? There is no intrusion into the brain to decode the signal of lost frequencies. They are evaluated subjectively as will be the case of curing or at least therapies that will be offered some day to the public to lower tinnitus levels.
      Likely the cure for tinnitus will come on many levels. First efforts to lower tinnitus maybe relatively crude compared to therapies offered 50 years from now when current medical science will be hardly recognized.

22. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Not necessarily. Creation is different than understanding. But understanding is the foundation to creation. Efforts are afoot to reverse engineer the brain today. Lets say the smartest scientists have an IQ of 150..like Bill Gates for example...as smart as the great thinkers in the past...Euclid, Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, Maxwell, Newton, and countless others. Many of our most daunting problems likely won't be solved by ordinary men. They will be solved with supercomputers and artificial intelligence which may exceed the intelligence of man by many times...unconstrained by evolution...or at least on a much faster development curve. Man evolves incredibly slow and machine technology grows geometrically. Networking all data bases that vastly exceed the cortex of a single man or team of scientists working on a cure in conjunction with superior computing power will solve many of life's mysteries including tinnitus. The future will be unrecognizable. AI has a profound dark side as well. Some of our smartest modern inventors like Elon Musk are the gate keepers of this technology to hopefully prevent our self destruction.

23. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hey Stophiss,

What I inferred in my response was that it will be the power of computer intelligence that will help us one day to completely unlock the powers and capabilities of the human brain. Needless to say, the results of these findings will be beyond words and it will forever change every aspect of our lives.

24. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      You may have inferred it but you put it in the form of a question which I answered and what you wrote somewhat agrees with what I stated. So we agree other than it won't be beyond words or at least intelligible nomenclature such as language and mathematics. We agree that the intellect of man is limited by evolution however machines aren't bound with this restraint and technically can be engineered to have superior intelligence though they may not be particularly entertaining at a cocktail party...but no doubt personality traits can be programmed as well..if not adaptive. ;)

25. leah farr

leah farr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blocked ears
      I have had tinnitus for 3 months and it has really knocked me for 6, we all would like a cure! Most of our countries donot pay for research, i have set up a direct debit each month to help with funding, if everyone with tinnitus did that we might have some chance of peace in our life time, even for a few pound a month, or whatever we can afford, its still helping xxxx love to all of you

26. leah farr

leah farr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blocked ears
      Everyone on this website please set up a direct debit for what you can afford every month, our goverment donot fund research, we are unimportant to them as tinnitus is not life threatening.
      I have set up a direct debit, as i would like to do my bit, if everyone with tinnitus did that, we might have some chance, love to all the warriors on here, you inspire me xxxx

27. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I did, but frankly we need some sort of "Ice Bucket"..

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      If I won the lottery I would spend every last pennie trying to find a cure for all causes of t. I would spend it all.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      trt shillin

30. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      karma or anything super natural has no evidence.