Best Hearing Protection for My Situation

Discussion in 'Support' started by kelpiemsp, Apr 23, 2018.

1. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I am trying to find the best hearing protection for my situation. I am curious what people recommend.

I do not like wearing hearing protection in general because it amplifies the sound of my tinnitus (although I do wear plugs at concerts, etc). I have had tinnitus my whole life, and always shied away from protection for this reason. But as spring is approaching, it is time I start busting out the power tools and working on the house, mowing the lawn etc. I would like something that doesn't attenuate low dBs at all. I am considering electronic ones. I could do in ear or over ear. But they main thing is that they don't attenuate low dB. Cost is not a consideration! Thanks

I am also looking at two situation: 1 for house work i.e. table saw, power tools, working on cars etc and 2 for events like concerts, baseball games, etc. I would prefer discreet ones for outdoor events (in ear).

Thanks!

2. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Hi kelpiemsp,

For table saw and power tools I would definitively use high protection earmuffs (in fact, I like to watch videos about woodworking, and most of the workers use that kind of ear protection).

For concerts I would use high protection foam ones, around 30 dB.

For baseball games, loud bars, etc. I would use musician earplugs, I have a pair of Live Musician earplugs. Those made of silicone, those are VERY easy to use and comfortable.

For everyday activities, I won't use any.

Best,

EDIT: And this is not overprotection, this is something I will recommend to ANYBODY to do, this is something I will tell my boys they need to do... Not to be afraid of loud sounds, but yes do protect properly.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Peltor X5A for whenever looks aren't important and solid silicone plugs dipped in ethanol for the rest.

Dipping plugs in ethanol will help with smooth insertion and prevent outer ear infections if those are worn for a long time and micro tears happen on the surface of the ear canal skin.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My low frequency vibrating buzz has been quiet for some days (3 to be exact). I'm dreading it coming back. I feel I have cicadas both in my ears now, but it's not that irritating and I'm not sure whether it's hallucination or real.

I would like to ask what kind of earprotection you recommend? I plugged my buzzing ear (3M 1100), but read here that's a no-no. I need to leave the house, go to the city, go to appointments and I don't have a driving license, so traffic is inevitable. I don't want to overprotect, but I need some hearing, right now I don't want to be run over by a car or bus.

Also, after having fluids leaking from my ears in August, I was advised to use cotton in paraffin oil plugged in to my ears during washing my hair to keep water out from them. Any thoughts on this?

5. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Hoping you have real improvement...

In my opinion I think foam earplugs work fine, IF you have them on, they worked for me for years except when I got caught without any.

If you feel it’s dangerous (traffic, etc), wear them halfway in/out reducing the efficacy. Keep you head on a swivel when crossing the street... no texting while walking :)

Watch those trucks/buses and their silly air brakes...

I personally wouldn’t rely on cotton to reliably plug my ears...

• Like Like x 1
    6. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Overprotection is a myth, it won't harm you in the long run. Underprotecting on the other hand, that can cause serious damage. When you plug, plug both ears :) good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      And what about occlusion effect with earplugging and talking, walking, etc. ?

@MRItechssuck I only meant for hair washing. I wouldn't rely on cotton in my ears in other situations. But my ears had in August an infection, fungus, I don't know, because doctors were not able to give me the reason, but told me that it's important to keep water away from my ears. With foam earplugs I assume it could be damp in my ears.

8. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Oh I misunderstood...still though a non-porous “foam” plug should not allow water inside the ear canal.

I would think cotton could actually wick moisture inside the ear.

Plugging both ears for protection walking around the city will be annoying, hearing your breathing...you may talk louder or softer than you realize, and you will hear your own voice much louder but what are the choices really?

We are all stuck with the new situation we just have to press on.

Now we just have to personalize and find ways to deal with it while protecting ourselves from further damage since everyone has personal tastes, annoyances, and limits.

All the best.

9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Everyone should wear hearing protection when working with power tools.

• Agree Agree x 1