Betaserc (Betahistine)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by bulldog, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Using betahistine in the treatment of patients with Menière’s disease: a meta-analysis with the current randomized-controlled evidence

Background: Betahistine is used worldwide to treat patients with Menière’s disease. However, despite it being used for decades, diverging opinions on the effect of betahistine on Menière’s symptomatology still exist.

Aims: The objective of this systematic review was to provide an overview and rate the certainty of the current evidence base regarding the use of betahistine to treat patients with Menière’s disease.

Materials and methods: A systematic literature search was conducted in October 2019. The search strategy was subdivided into searches for existing guidelines, systematic reviews and individual randomized controlled trials (RCT) investigating the usage of betahistine as compared to placebo, in patients with Ménière’s disease. The primary outcome was the frequency of vertigo attack(s) and occurrence of serious adverse events.

Results: We identified three relevant guidelines and three systematic reviews: however, neither included any relevant trials matching our inclusion criteria. An individual search for RCTs identified one trial. The results from this particular trial showed no difference in effects on symptoms following treatment with betahistine.

Conclusions and Significance: There is a need for further well-conducted placebo RCTs. Currently, there is still a lack of substantial evidence supporting betahistine as a significant and adequate treatment for patients diagnosed with Menière’s disease.

Source: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00016489.2020.1777326

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      In my last visit to the ENT I asked the doctor about several medications, including Gabapentin, Lyrica, and Betaserc. In the doctor's opinion Betaserc shows more consistent results (limited results) and the other medications are more random, meaning that some people benefit, and others do not improve, or worsen. Also in terms of side effects this particular doctor seemed to favour Betaserc too. I have not been on that drug yet, though, so cannot report out of personal experience.

3. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In my country, Betahistine is routinely prescribed for patients with tinnitus even without other Meniere's symptoms. It very rarely does anything.

I took it for 2 months (for 1,5 month alongside with Piracetam), zero results, but I did not experience side effects either. (I suspected that my horrible insomnia was due to these meds, but it didn't resolve after quitting taking them either, so it may have actually been because of the panic tinnitus onset caused for me.)

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hi Kriszti, are you doing better with sleep?

5. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for asking. :)

Slightly. I still have horrible nights here and there, but overall it is a tiny bit better. I still wake up a lot, and sometimes only can sleep 2 hours a night, but it's getting better (knock on wood). Doesn't improve the tinnitus though, and my mental health could be better, I'm pretty down, but baby steps.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. guenguer

guenguer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss 2004/12/14/15
      In a big study it was shown that Betahistine is practically useless for tinnitus, hydrops and Meniere's disease. That's my experience too. I took it for 4 years 3x48mg per day. It did absolutely nothing, not even protect from worsening.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      I was thinking of trying Betahistine.

I was reading that they actually don't know how it affects the ear. Is there any new information? It seems it's not available in the USA so most people that I talk to don't know about it...
      PubMed: Betahistine for Tinnitus

8. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Betahistine is useless for tinnitus that is not associated with Meniere's.

• Like Like x 1