Bioflavonoid Complex with Hesperidin and Rutin; I Can't Tell What, But it Does Something

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by AnxiousJon, Dec 28, 2015.

1. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm trying to differentiate sound sensitivity of myoclonus etiology from other etiologies, and wanted to ask you about the nature of your tinnitus and hyperacusis. Was your tinnitus continuous, low pitched or high pitched? Was your sound sensitivity to soft sounds, was your ability to deal with prolonged sound exposure good?

2. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You didn't have any sound sensitivity, correct? I understand your tinnitus was continuous, was it high pitched or low pitched?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Started out as a very loud broadband hiss in one ear, and hyperacusis in both ears. I have come to realize that imo, I never had loud standard subjective tinnitus; I have only had the myoclonus/objective tinnitus. I did get a distant helicopter rumbling as the myoclonus caused the eardrum to rumble. My hyperacusis comes back in tadem with the severity of the sound of the myoclonus going to my inner ear. Also phantom sounds and beeping comes back when it gets louder(when I stop taking the supplement and the pressure releases from my middle ear).

4. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      When you say objective tinnitus, do you mean other people could hear it? How would you describe your sound pain to me? Was your broadband hiss high pitched or middle pitched? How old are you, did an audiometry show ''hearing loss'' when you had the middle ear issues?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm using it in a non-standard way i suppose; I just mean it isn't something my brain is making up. It is real sound being generated next to the inner ear. What difference does it make if someone else can hear it? Such a useless distinction imo. The useful distinction is between that which the mind makes up, and that which is real sound.

It started when I was 30; I'm 31 now. My audiogram only went to 8k showing virtually no hearing loss. Sound mid/high to very high; not tonal sound but percussive; it's the rattling of the middle ear bones. The myoclonus will also mimic rhythms coming from machines. I don't know how to explain the ear pain; I don't have an analogy for you.

6. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Yes, I do have sound sensitivity, can't even go out for coffee with friends anymore to the local coffee shop. My tinnitus is reactive. I don't have hyperacusis to the degree it makes me suffer, but loud noises and loud voices are painful.

My tinnitus has begun to cycle in the last eight months. Two or three awful days a week, two days that are really annoying, a couple mild to moderate days that are more tolerable, and usually one good day or at least half a day. It's different sounds on different days, like hissing, squealing, cicadas, tea kettles, machine-gun static, plus it oscillates, like wave after wave of sound. Frequency is somewhere between 6800 and 7500 kHz.

7. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm trying to ascertain whether central gain diagnosis is overlapping with myoclonus diagnosis, in order to find out if I have the latter. It matters whether it can or can't be heard because very little has been written about myoclonus and many doctors give too much importance to its having to be heard by another person to give it a positive myoclonus diagnosis.

This mimicry of exterior sounds was it like a muscle tug, was it annoying, was the mimicry of exterior sound in the form of a thumpishness that could be felt more than heard, what you might qualify as the sound pain itself?

What kind of sound sensitivity did you have? Did it stay with you throughout the entire sound like it might happen in low LDL hyperacusis, or was it a muscle tug that was initiated in mimesis to the sound passage? If it's the latter like in my case, which in my case is to every sound differential entry, then that, and not misophonia, would explain soft sound sensitivity- if we have muscle position shifts with each new sound, then we could be more bothered by quiet sounds if they're the signal, if they're at the forefront of the surrounding sounds.

8. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:

And with all that cycling of your tinnitus, you're still sure the bioflavinoids helped you, that it wasnt just placebo that coincided with a betterment that was going to happen anyways?

9. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I've had tinnitus almost two years. Can't recall exactly when I started the bioflavonoids, but I felt a distinct difference after taking them, maybe 2 weeks later, not sure. My tinnitus didn't start cycling until quite some time afterwards. I never felt much different with any of the other supplements, but continue to take them for their beneficial properties which would be good for me regardless of tinnitus.

Tinnitus is an unpredictable beast, so, yes, it could be coincidence. I'm not willing to take a chance, though, and just recently purchased another bottle of 250 pills. With my limited income, I wouldn't do it if I didn't believe it was helping.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My myoclonus is a furious mach-3 rush, and it never lets up. When I hear something rhythmic like a car indling or a refridgerator, it stays in my ear for a 15min-1week. The swishing/rattling takes on that rhythm. My pain only happes when I hear sounds that are in the same frequency range as the violent swishing/rattling. It feels like someone scraping is metal on metal. Also I get tonal phantom sounds that stick around, and those are caused by cell phone ring tones and similar sounds. But again, all my symptoms go way down if I regularly take said supplement.

11. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Oops , just took 3 ..lol!

well.. 3x500 mg

12. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      This is the top review at the moment.

"I have tried a few of these Bio-flavinoids, bsically out of pure desperation since my acoustic trauma tinnitus [from playing in a rock band when about 15!] flairs up and it both hugely annoying and even painful when it does. And even a few minutes of say typical movie volume noise can set things ringing for weeks. I had tried TR Nyocin aND VENAflexadine in the past, but neither made any difference. So I was VERY skeptical about trying these as well. But I was wrong, at least in the case of my Acoustic Trauma Caused Tinnitus, the change was noticable within hours and very significant within days. I can still hear the tinnitue, if I listen for it, but it by no means threatens to drive me bonkers the way it used to do. Frankly I was astounded it worked as well as it does. So if you have noise induced tinniturs, DDEFINITELY give it a try, It can really cahnge your life!"

But then he adds in the comments.

"I take one pill a day, usually in the evening. Now that I have been taking them for several months, however, I have lost some of my initial enthusiasm for this tinnitus treatment. Tinnitus is such a monster that nothing can really put it to rest or stop the horrible days or weeks when it really flares. Still this product does seem to provide some help so I keep taking it. I think B12 in fairly high does might also help, but it is always so hard to tell what may or may not be helping since the flare ups and let ups occur so mysteriously, at least for me."

So...who knows?

13. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      Is anyone still taking bioflavinoids?

14. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      my doctor told me do not waste my money on bioflavonoids or lipoflavanoids. They do not work.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah my ENT said the same. And hey, so far they havent dramatically worked for anyone but me it seems.

16. Res

Res Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2106
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Endotoxin can induce tinnitus (model) in rodents, both act against endotoxin, rutin inhibits INOS also.

• Like Like x 1
    17. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm going to bump this thread.

I started on bioflavonoids and I can mirror what the OP says about it doing something that feels therapeutic but not being able to put my finger on what it is other than describing the sensations.

In my case, what I started feeling is an expectorant phenomenon (like cough medicine) followed by a tickling sensation in the back of my skull which seemed to want to open up my eustacian tubes as well as provide sort of a stimulation/natural-high.

Note, I'm also taking a lot of St. John's Wort but I've never experienced physical sensations like that with SJW.

The first time I had that phenomenon I was lying in bed and subjectively felt that my left ear's natural hearing had improved, almost like how your ears pop when you're landing in a plane.

As I began to take the pills more often this phenomenon started to become less common. The absorption of the pill in relation to when you take it and with or without food seems to make a big difference. I'm only taking 500mg and I suspect it takes megadoses to really do it, whatever "it" is.

The one downside is the pills smell sort of bad and if you take enough of them and often enough it's going to make your breath bad or maybe even start permeating your skin and fluids. I'm going to have to monitor this.

18. Dave555
      Alienated

Dave555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tools
      My ENT recommended over-the-counter lipoflavenoids. I know they aren't well regarded here, but he insisted they have clinically proven results. So 7 months ago I tried lipoflavenoids, and since I was not 'cured', I then tried my own concoctions, but I'm not a pharmacist. So this evening I ordered some bioflavenoids. They seem to get better reviews. I'll post back if I have anything to say after trying them.

In my case, I think anxiety is a major escalator. My first ENT told me to just try to ignore the tinnitus. That's fair. But when I wake up at night, it's hard to ignore it. I think about 'hurting' myself and then I worry about that, and then a spiral of anxious thoughts occur increasing my T, exponentially. Honestly I totally had self destructive thoughts even before the T, so can I really blame the T that much?? My psychologist told me I can control what I think about.

Anyway, I was prescribed just a few valium, take that and can fall back asleep. But that's not a long term solution. If I can feel calm when the T is flaring, and appreciate the moments when it's not flaring, that would be nice. So I'm just going to try and see if anything can create just a slightly better chemical balance.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Because he's trying to make sure it's not pulsatile tinnitus or middle ear myoclonus, which isn't technically real tinnitus.

20. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      This is a followup. I have continued taking 500mg bioflavonoids twice daily and it seems as though my body has sort of adapted to it. That sensations in the back of my head only really happened early on and the impact to my nasal passages is nowhere near as noticeable. It was really when I was feeling that tickling sensation that it felt helpful in some way, sort of a natural high. So it's really not doing anything for me right now. When I finish this bottle I will try doubling the dose since I think most try 1000mg.