Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones — Are They Used to Block Noise or to Listen to Music?

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Jan 5, 2019.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I use Bose headphones to block the noise of a plane/a car on a highway. Moreover, since these headphones have been the primary reason for some people getting T (and also have been causing people to get T spikes), I always wear good earplugs (3M 1100) underneath those headphones. This way, even if the headphones are in fact generating some waves that might be harmful to the ear, those waves ought to be absorbed by the earplug.

Many people have been getting spikes as a result of using headphones, even at low volume. I wouldn't risk listening to the music in those headphones, even when I wear earplugs underneath the headphones. I just don't want to take a risk, unless I absolutely have to.

I suggest that you find movies with subtitles and watch that on the plane to keep yourself entertained (instead of listening to the music, or watching movies with sound instead of subtitles).

• Winner Winner x 3
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Both.
      If you don't play anything in them, they're just noise cancellers. If you decide to play something in them, then you won't have to crank up the volume to compete with external sound, since the noise-cancelling-circuit "removes" that external sound for you, so it's also better for your ears as you can keep volume low.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A great post Bill. It is good to see someone talking about the serious damage that headphones can cause. I am pleased to see the precautions you take and wish you well.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I wanna check if I understand right that these are fine to wear if I don't listern to music (like Bill Bauer I would never ever listen to music through headphones).

But if I wear them just for the noise canceling effect they won't spike my tinnitus?

6. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      I have been using them for about 4 years and as far as I can tell they have never caused any spikes for me. They are a lifesaver for me on trains/flights/busses/walking in the city.

7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Both

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Some TT members report that using bose noise cancelling headphones have aggravated their T. Personally, I prefer to go with more mundane protection, i.e. properly inserted foam ear plugs are cheap, comfortable, effective, and discrete.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There Have Been horror stories on this forum where people say that they got T after wearing noise cancelling headphones. It is for this reason that I have been wearing earplugs underneath my noise cancelling headphones. The headphones protect me against the noise around me, and the earplugs are hopefully ensuring that my ears are not harmed by the headphones.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They don't offer nearly as much noise reduction inside of an airplane, as noise cancelling headphones over earplugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks guys. I can't wear earplugs anyway as they always cause pain and I have tried loads but all cause pain. At first I thought maybe I'm putting them in wrong so saw my audiologist who said no you are putting them in right but they don't fit right as your ears are very small.

She said I need custom ones but she said it could also be your ETD so instead of plugs she recommended ear muffs.

12. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I would probably opt for earmuffs instead of noise cancelling headphones if additional protection was required. I don't know much about T + flying, though, since it's a situation I haven't had to deal with yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Unfortunately no form of ear protection is 100% safe. What some people do not realize, if external sound is loud enough, it will pass through the head/skull and be transferred to the inner ear by "bone conduction" and irritate the cochlea. This can result in a spike that may or may not reduce and if it doesn't, the tinnitus will increase to a new and permanent level. No hearing protection or noise cancelling headphones can stop sound passing through the head by bone conduction if the sound is loud enough.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Noise cancelling headphones seem to provide a little more noise reduction. They are also more comfortable - after wearing them for many hours, you won't feel like your head is in a vice (something even the best muffs will likely do after a couple of hours).

Of course I understand where you are coming from, and if earplugs are offering a false sense of security (I don't think this is the case, but anything is possible), then of course I am wrong to recommend the use of noise cancelling headphones.

15. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I have recently flown and wore plugs plus peltor X4A muffs. I hate hearing the extreme ringing when wearing muffs etc but feel safer I'm protecting my ears from potentially further damage.

• Like Like x 2
    16. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm about to fly around the planet twice, so you don't think foam plugs are enough?

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you are on an Airbus plane, it is possible (likely?) that foam plugs will be enough. But why take a chance?

Are you going to take two separate trips? I don't understand how it would be possible to fly around the planet Twice, if it is only one trip. Or are you just adding the lengths of the different legs of your trip, and coming up with the equivalent of two Earth diameters?

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Hearing protection should be worn around loud noise.

Hearing protection may not help from from vibrations from touch or surroundings as vibration can travel direct to the cochlea. Vibration can travel up the spine. Hearing protection may not help with facial and mouth bone conduction.

Caution with heavy headphones are needed for those with physical tinnitus or PT. Compression of neck/jaw muscles, nerves, arteries, veins and muscles can increase from weight of headphones. With physical tinnitus conditions - bending the head forward, side to side or looking down can cause increased problems from headphone weight.

19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm flying to the other side of planet earth and back. Thanks for keeping my language in check.

So I should wear foam plugs and noise cancelling head phones? I havent flown in 15 years and I certainly havent flown since i got shitnitus.

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      At one point over the past year, I flew for 16 hours and back (in a Boeing Dreamliner, a pretty loud plane). I used the method above, and ended up being fine.

21. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alright. That's my plan. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hope you will end up having a great trip!

23. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, me too....

24. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer is it okay to use foam earplugs, then ear muffs over them??

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      So what’s the best protocol to follow when flying?
      Muffs or headphones (no music)?

26. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Muffs don’t offer much in terms of comfort as they still let the annoying low drone of the aircraft through.

One thing with noise cancelling headphones, they’re good for constant background sound but wouldn’t want to be around sudden loud impulse sounds. For example, closing a car door with them on can be felt in the ear as the nc wave cancels out the actual sound waves. It’s not pleasant and I think should be avoided. Wouldn’t trust their effectiveness too much.

The low nc setting is also something to consider. High nc can feel like an uncomfortable kind of over pressure which makes me wonder if they’re actually not too good to wear for long periods. Low nc is much more comfortable but, of course, offers less cancelling.

Flying wise, an A380 in cattle class forward of the wings = 62-65db at cruising altitude. People laughing and babies crying are louder than the plane. Not too bad at all.
      I wouldn’t fly a Boeing or other again.
      Wearing nc headphones and earplugs puts you in a very quiet place with just you and your T, which isn’t very pleasant either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I took Bills advice for plane rides it was the best. I used my musicians plugs under them and was fine. infact I had to take them off for a bit because there was too much T happening

28. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Never had any problem in about 25 flights since my T while wearing no protection or simply earplugs. My longest flight was Paris - Tokyo. But generally it was less than 5 hours.

I make sure and advise to wear protection (plugs or muffs) - one, or double if you're still annoyed by the noise - if the flight is more than 2 hours though.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    29. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

I agree with you @Julien87
      Some people may need hearing protection whilst flying. I believe a lot of the problems people have with managing tinnitus and hyperacusis, is caused by panic, fear and hysteria. These emotions are very powerful in making sure, a person will have difficulty enjoying their life.

Michael

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    30. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      This is very true and i know a lot of people don't believe this but it is so very true. I have personally been affected by fear before I even got tinnitus.

I have never told anyone apart from my mom and sister what I'm about to share on here but i want to share it if it helps people realise how fear and anxiety can ruin your life.

Before I got tinnitus I was very badly bullied as a teenager to the point they beat me up twice, strangled me and nearly killed me. A teacher saw them and stopped them. They would come to our house and kick footballs at our house and we had to call the police, the main bully went as far as to post threatening letters to me saying he was going to kill me.

After we moved and the bullying stopped I became terrified to leave my own home on my own and it paralysed me with fear. I started having panic attacks if I was on my own. It took years of help to be happy to be on my own again, even to just get the bus by myself as I had become scared of people and if they would hurt me like he did but thankfully I'm a lot stronger now and with help have overcome my fear.

But this is why i agree 100% with @Michael Leigh as fear, anxiety, stress can and does have a very real effect on our bodies both physically and mentally. As it did with me. A year after i overcame my fear i ended up getting my new battle tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1