Boswellia (Indian Frankincense) for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by EddieL., Sep 29, 2019.

1. EddieL.

EddieL. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Since it appears that inflammation causes/exacerbates tinnitus for many, I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone talking about boswellia (Indian frankincense). Over the past couple of months, I've tried the usual supplements (turmeric/curcumin, magnesium, NAC), but I haven't noticed any real improvement. While researching natural remedies, I came across boswellia, which has been shown to have a significant anti-inflammatory effect. So, I decided to give it a try, and I'm noticing a positive difference. Now, whether or not it's actually working, or if I'm getting a placebo effect, I don't know, but I'll take it either way, and I figured I'd share my experience.

FYI, I'm taking the NOW Foods boswellia extract 500mg, twice a day. I ordered it on walmart.com and picked up in store, $13.49 for 90 softgels, so not a huge investment to try.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23391017
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27117114
      Question is; which one is the best supplement of Boswellia?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      EddieL.

EddieL. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm taking Boswellia serrata, which appears to be the one found in most supplements.

4. Determined

Determined Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have taken Boswellia by Superior Labs for over a year. I recently ran out while moving. I developed tinnitus on the third day in our new home. No triggers. I have never had tinnitus before. I found this thread in an internet search of a boswellia/tinnitus connection. I am now going to order a new bottle in hope that this supplement will calm it. (I have seen an ENT and tests have been scheduled)

5. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Any mold in your new home?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Determined

Determined Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No mold as it is new. It is a mobile home. It was well aired for a month prior to moving in.
      I am open to trigger suggestions.
      The only common event I have come with is running out of the boswellia.

7. Midas
      Bookworm

Midas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316569/

"Turmeric extract confirmed to possess anti-inflammatory capacity even at low concentrations and revealed itself as an extraordinary protective agent towards the intestinal epithelium integrity. Boswellia extract showed comparable efficacy in the proposed model, exhibiting a lower anti-inflammatory effect which is counterbalanced by the strong anti-oxidant activity."

@EddieL.: you didn't post your findings, I assume it didn't help you?

• Like Like x 1