Brainwave Optimization

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by JeffDamsko, Jan 5, 2015.

1. JeffDamsko

JeffDamsko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So after another catastrophic night of sleep I researched insomnia looking for a remedy. I feel like my fragmented nights where i never sleep more than 2.5 hours at a time are contributing to my T worsening. I have already tried many sleeping pills to no avail. These included zolpidem, nitrazepam, oxazepam, lorazepam, and mirtazapine, but none of them prolonged these short periods of sleep and i dropped them all within days from starting them.
      Getting to sleep has never really been a problem only remaining asleep has. So upon my research i stumbled upon a clinic for sleeping disorders in my hometown that offers Brainwave Optimization. Researching this some more also made me find some video's in dutch and german of people who have had an improvement in their t complaints.
      I am going to take a trial session and if i like it i may take a whole package for 10 times. Im still only looking at this primarily for my sleeping problems despite the testimonials on tinnitus. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this.
      What is Brainwave Optimization?

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JeffDamsko

JeffDamsko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So i went today for a trial session, after an intake conversation and explanation about the process i had a short session. It was explained to me how they try to balance your brainwaves on the left and right side of your brain by promoting neuroplasticity. I was then shown a few examples of out of wack brainwave signatures stemming from various causes such as insomnia, pain, and stress. They use different optimization processes for different ailments and he also made clear that they are working on specific programs for tinnitus, and that they had already provided relief for 2 persons that had tinnitus. He did however made it very clear that both of these people had no acoustic trauma whatsoever.
      I then proceeded to have the session, and tried a program for insomnia and one they have for tinnitus. During the insomnia session i had some involuntary muscle spasms and i actually dosed of for a second which i noticed when i heard my snoring (hehe). The muscle spams are to be expected i was told on forehand. I dosed of again at the end of the last session shortly. After the session he told me that one needs to stay awake as brain activity is distinctly different during sleep.
      During the session they use sounds that sound when a specific brain activity takes place to "reward" the brain to promote plasticity. These sounds were different between the programs, the insomnia program was sort of choir like singing stabs (short bursts) and piano like for the tinnitus program.
      After the session the run a report that generates several graphs of different frequency brainwaves. From these reports it was clear my brain was out of whack with quite large differences between left and right side activity and strength. The graphs indicated my brain was in a state of chronic stress and also that my alpha waves were weaker. Weaker alpha waves were correlated with tinnitus he told me.
      So now i will decide this week whether to go ahead with a full treatment of 15 sessions (2.300,= euros). These sessions would take place in a 2 week period.

I've also found 2 links about this subject on NCBI:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23532171

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23170244

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JeffDamsko

JeffDamsko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Just found the site of the system used, has some research papers on there. Remember I am trying this primarily for the insomnia part. I believe good sleep would help with habituation a lot.

http://www.brainstatetech.com

4. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Interesting, how did you feel after your session?
      Please keep us updated if you do the full treatment.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JeffDamsko

JeffDamsko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @attheedgeofscience
      I'm posting because I couldn't send you a private message. As you seem to be very knowledgeable on a lot of subjects regarding health care, I would like to ask you for an opinion on a thread I started about an alternative treatment if you have time to do so. Here is a link t the thread:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/brainwave-optimization.7613/

Thanks in advance sorry for off topic post

6. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi Jeff,

Have you tried the therapy yet? If so, please report back. We have several members interested in various forms of neurofeedback and similar forms of neuromodulation and a few members who are also trying the technologies.

See, for example, this:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/low-energy-neurofeedback-system.8051/#post-93464

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JeffDamsko

JeffDamsko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Jazz,
      No i haven't done any therapy yet. I have an appointment the 12th of march in Brain Clinic in Antwerp and I'm waiting for this to have passed before deciding on the brainwave optimization therapy. Also its pretty expensive 2.300 euro's and I had hoped someone would have weighed in on the post with some experience or more knowledge on the subject possibly. I will read that thread you linked. thanks

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Mo_Mo

Mo_Mo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Started A Week After A Cold
      please also update us on how things go with them, I have an appointment with them in April,
      from what I understood from them they will conduct an qEEG and depending on the results they would suggest different ways to alleviate T, he said the success rate was 50% and multiple sessions would be required which could take up to 4-6 weeks, they told me that some of their patients visit them twice a year for 4 weeks to conduct such non-invasive treatments.
      I have also heard some patients were relieved from T by using some pharmaceuticals

9. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hi Jeff,

Great to hear you are trying this. I really hope it will give some relief, please keep us updated.

Best Robb

• Like Like x 1
    10. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      honestly 250mg torobalt give you good sleep, 300-350 give you too much sleep and back pain. I have some progressive tinnitus, this is third time it got worse , and it happens every 6-9 months, so i will not last long honestly + i am now allergic to 80% of medication that caused t to permanently spikes

11. Codaz

Codaz Member

Hi Jeff,

Can you give me the location / link of this clinic via PM please? I believe it's in the Netherlands from your posts.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JeffDamsko

JeffDamsko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      This was the website seems to be down on my tablet. http://www.alpha-up.nl

13. Codaz

Codaz Member

Thanks

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JeffDamsko

JeffDamsko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      seems to be down on my desktop too now. There are several to be found on google search, even a page from AMC amsterdam.

15. becrispy

becrispy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last year 10/2014
      Jeff, any updates?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JeffDamsko

JeffDamsko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      none

17. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Has this worked mate?

18. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ing-technique-claims-help-nod-60-SECONDS.html

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JeffDamsko

JeffDamsko Member

Tinnitus Since: