Can a Virus Make Your Tinnitus Worse Temporarily?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi all,

I have the mother of all evil virus at the minute since last Thursday. Won't bore you with the symptoms, but I was just curious... Can a really nasty virus mess with your tinnitus?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Allan1967

The ear, nose and throat (ENT) are connected. Therefore, a virus infection can cause tinnitus temporarily and exacerbate it in someone that already has the condition.

My advice to you is to try and calm down and relax. Overly worrying and focusing on the tinnitus tends to make it more intrusive. I know it isn't easy but try to divert your attention to other things and hopefully, the virus will clear up soon and the tinnitus will reduce.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi Allan,
      Even a common cold messes with my tinnitus. When my ears get clogged, I hear it louder. I think this happens for most T sufferers.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      People that are seasoned to tinnitus and veterans, are rarely troubled by a temporary increase in tinnitus. This takes time to acquire. The key is to try and takeaway focus and attention from the tinnitus and to do other things.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Oddly enough my tinnitus hasn't been too bad but then again I have been and am floored by this.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is quite understandable what you are going through. After years of habituation you felt comfortable with your tinnitus. A sudden resurgence and increase in severity is enough to set you right back at square one. A similar thing happened to me back in 2008, when my tinnitus increased to insurmountable levels. It was a cataclysmic shock that I was totally unprepared for and nothing like I had previously experienced. I had no idea my resolve, determination and steadfastness, would be tested to sheer breaking point but that is what I had endured for 4 years. Ultimately I prevailed for I habituated for the second time.

You will get passed this and have the experience to draw on to deal with whatever comes your way. Stronger, better and a more positive thinking person. Please click on the links below and read my posts to help reinforce positive thinking.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/positivity-and-tinnitus.12060/

• Like Like x 1
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Bollocks. Now it has got worse. Just had a massive coughing fit and have what sounds like a ufo in my right ear.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      For once, I agree with everything you say.

Except the last sentence...

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It will calm down @Allan1967 If you have any wine, beer or other alcoholic beverage, have a small glass for medicinal purposes.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yup definitely two new sounds very much like what it was like when it flared in October. Like a oscillating woo cutting through both ears.

I don't know how I have done it? I've been really ill this week with a real deep hacking cough that's been sucking the air and life out of me. Surely my attempts to cough up phlegm wouldn't make it worse?

Should I go for some prednisone?

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I doubt any GP in the UK will prescribe you prednisone for tinnitus, and I don't think it's the right course of action to take. I know it's not easy but try to remain calm and ride the storm. Keep taking the AD as that will help you keep a presence of mind.

All the best
      Michael

13. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I get a cold every winter. Goes to my right ear the one with the ringing which is usually mild. The coughing fires it up. Now let me say the last 2 times I've felt a cold coming on I reach for the Manuka Honey a teaspoon when I first get up then one before bed. About 3 days of use it knocks the cold. I do not dilute the honey

• Like Like x 1
    14. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Yes it can. I had a cold in December and it affected my tinnitus to the point I could hear it over the shower, also had two new sounds. It then swapped ears and the same thing happened.

Fast forward to nearly two months later and the volume is back to baseline but one of the new sounds is slightly still there but I’m hopeful it’ll disappear soon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Hi @Jcb

I've been having something very similar. Allergies kicked my T up and was super loud. I have found a new sound that comes and goes. Volume has decreased some, but still touch and go. I wondering how you've done since your cold last year?

James