Can Deaf People Experience Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by tokyotony, May 29, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. tokyotony
      Busy

tokyotony Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Can deaf people experience tinnitus, and if so, how is that dealt with?

2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      yes I have heard that even profoundly deaf people can have tinnitus. They have to deal in a similar way as the people who hear - by habituating. It is of course a bit harder because you can't mask it, but habituation doesn't necessarily have masking. It is important to concentrate on other things and not look for it. Also one has to realize that tinnituss is not dangerous and it is not going to hurt you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Studies have shown that some patients who were so desperate that they had a "nerve section" -- severing their auditory nerve, thereby leaving them deaf -- still had the tinnitus after the surgery, even though they could no longer hear. Hence, doctors today usually will not do nerve sections for tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Yes. I know a person in another group who is completely deaf and has severe tinnitus. Needless to say it is pure hell for this individual and they suffer greatly. :(

5. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Yeah concensus is that the sound is created in the auditory sections of the brain and not the ear so being deaf can have no effect.

6. tokyotony
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Just my layman's logic here... if a lot of tinnitus is the result of hearing loss, wouldn't deaf people be more prone to tinnitus?

7. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Im not sure but I dont think so. Only about 40% of the people with hearing impairment experience tinnitus. Some people with loud tinnitus seem to have no hearing loss whereas some who have hearing loss have no tinnitus. So you see its a more complex issue.

8. tokyotony
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Definitely a complex issue. The more I am interacting on these forums the more I start to understand that tinnitus can be caused by a variety of factors and thus there are a variety of solutions.

• Agree Agree x 1