Can Hearing Loss from Acoustic Trauma Recover?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sullhouse, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Sullhouse

Sullhouse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun shot
      Hey everyone, just found this forum trying to find some answers and support while I go through this trauma.

Will describe what happened, but my main question is, can sudden hearing loss recover after acoustic trauma from gun shot noise? Is it 100% permanent or is there a chance it can come back partially, or even fully?

I'm 35. This past Sunday morning I shot a handgun for the first time in my life. Out in the woods with friends, no hearing protection. I wasn't the first to shoot, or the last. I took 3 successive shots in a row, and immediately knew something was wrong with my hearing.

I went to Dr. the very next morning, and test showed moderate to severe loss in left ear at 4k-8k. I also have terrible tinnitus in that ear, and when I walk it sounds like a broken speaker. I immediately got an injection of steroids in the ear, and got on 60mg or prednisone. It's been a few days and its still bad. Maybe not as bad, but hard to tell (it's all in my head, you know?) I'm going through some depression obviously dealing with this, and I'm trying to prepare myself, and not have my hopes up for a long time and continue getting bad news if its well known that this will not recover.

Has anyone had a similar situation and had it recover, or not?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There's a chance it'll recover, partially or fully. Good luck!

3. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Good that you got treatment early but to be honest, no one really knows. Could be 50/50, nobody can say for certain.

If you are healthy with no previous noise exposure history, then there might be a better chance of recovery

The biggest problem at the moment is - time. Take the steroids as directed and sit it out. Obviously you will need another hearing test in the not too distant future

Doesn't help with the pain of the anxiety though...

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      chances are your hearing will bounce back somewhat over the next 3 months. The broken speaker sound is Hyperacusis which is bad but usually resolves 100 percent after 6 + months. The tinnitus will also improve but its impossible to say if it will go away for good. Your lucky to have had the steroid in time so that is positive. The main thing is you will improve so your going through the worst of it over the next weeks and it will only get better but how much so nobody can say. Stay positive.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sullhouse

Sullhouse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun shot
      Thank you for the responses, very helpful and encouraging.

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      what is your history in terms of noise exposure before that event? Like regular loud clubbing /concerts /portable music etc..
      Because damage is cumulative this also plays a role in your recovery
      Good that you had the steroids shot asap this will help a lot