Can High-Pitched Sound from Laptop Be the Root Cause?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Simon123, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Simon123

Simon123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dear Forum Members,

I am struggling with a high pitch digitized noise (like irregular ones and zeros). I have been looking for the source in my environment but it is just recently I have realized it might be Tinnitus. It is worst when I sleep but also when I try to concentrate. It happens I wake up and feel ill because of the sound has some very high frequency components. I have been thinking about moving to another apartment.. but will probably not help.

I have realized I always think the sound comes from the direction where I have my right ear. I have also realized that the sound I hear is quite similar to what I hear from my laptop I use at work. I do not like that sound either but often I do not think so much about it since it is mixed up with all other sounds at work. It is not from the fan, maybe from the SSD disc.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar, if this could be the root cause and if I should do anything about this. I do not want to bring this up as a problem at work unless I know there are any substance in this theory.

By the way, the blue noise I found on this page seems to help me. Thank you very much for the release.

//Simon

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Simon123
      From your description it sounds like you have tinnitus. Do you listen to music through headphones or attend places where loud music is played? If so this could the reason for the noise you hear. Contrary to what some people believe, tinnitus can be made worse by near-field computer use but not everyone with tinnitus will be affected.
      Click on the link below to read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. It is long but I suggest you read it in full and try not to skim through it. It is better to print it. If you wish, I can send it to by email in PDF format that has a colour illustration of the ear. Just send me your email address in PM.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Simon123

Simon123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your reply Michael,

I have now read most of the article and I have learned some more. Good to know that the white noise should not be played with high volume.

I do not listen so much through headphones but it happens some times, mostly for e-books and such.

My tinnitus is not very severe but I am a bit sensitive to noise. For maybe ten years ago I worked quite much with programming in industrial environments for very long days. I remember leaving the building with a feeling of gravel in my head. I came to a point where I got very tired and stopped working within the area. I recovered but after that I have been more sensitive to noise in the surroundings. During a period I tried to use ear plugs and noise cancellation but that just made everything worse so I stopped and tried to focus less on the noise. It helped.

The problem I have now is however quite new. I think I will try to switch disc drive in the computer. At least I might get rid of the real annoying sound that is there. I will also invest in some speakers to have in the bed room and see if white noise can give me a better sleep.

Thanks
      //Simon