Can Jogging/Running Negatively Impact Hyperacusis and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Athens, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Athens

Athens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/27/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello. I have been a long distance jogger/runner since the 80s. I have recently started back jogging again during the quieter times of the evening. I close my ears if a vehicle passes by me in my neighborhood on my jogging route.

I read somewhere that there are crystals in the auditory system that might be adversely impacted by jogging/running and that the head being jarred during jogging/running might not be good for tinnitus. I have not read an opinion on the impact on hyperacusis.

I am up to four (4) miles each day and my mental health seems to be better since I started jogging/running again. I would like to get back to my usual six (6) or seven (7) miles (possibly even longer) each day for six days a week (taking one day off for rest).

Does anyone have an opinion on whether this could likely significantly impact my tinnitus or hyperacusis in a negative way? I know that long distance jogging/running is good for the brain as well as anxiety and depression. I have this idea that it might cause a beneficial change in the brain that might improve hyperacusis which is my main issue.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
      I've had tinnitus for 4+ years. I run between 10-20 miles a week. Just ran a half marathon last weekend. I would say that on average my tinnitus is better when I run a lot. I usually have my plugs lightly in my ear or on me when I run in case I encounter cars/lawn mowers etc. I also do my best to run quiet routes or on trail when I can.

Just one anecdote!

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @Athens, I run every Saturday morning and have never noticed a difference in my tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Hope that helps!
      :)

• Like Like x 2
    4. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      It will do you good @Athens.

I don't think you should worry too much. I do understand that you are afraid of worsening, but light jogging or walking will make you shift focus to something positive. Plus you get all the other positive synergies.

I do get temporary increases in tinnitus in particular when I work out due to increased blood flow, but then again I know it's temporary - and I feel better afterwards even so.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Aerobic exercise is good for you and will yield positive results in mental + physical health long term. No amount of fear mongering will change that for me. Keep doing what you’re doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Athens

Athens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/27/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, my mental health is better since I started jogging long distances again. I am more physically and mentally tired but it is kind of a “good” tired. I am hoping that jogging long distances on a regular basis will result in some changes in my brain chemistry in a beneficial way that might result in the hyperacusis (which is more pronounced that the tinnitus) calming down somewhat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Athens

Athens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/27/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I watched a video of someone who saw a physician who advised him that hyperacusis is a result of “your brain getting it wrong” and that he should not stop doing what he loved and that his brain would adjust.

After nineteen (19) months, my brain has still not adjusted. I do have some better days on occasion. Do I still have time for my brain to adjust and for all of this sound sensitivity to calm down? I have read of some people who have taken two to five years before they saw improvement.

8. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Yes @Athens, there is still time and hope of getting better.

Do something that gives you joy and shift of focus on your life. Let sounds that comfort you somehow in.

Protect, but (in my opinion) don't protect to anything and everything in your situation. Your ears and brain need stimulation and natural sounds to process.

If white noise or similar stuff annoys you, use something else. You need to find your way.

Within 2 more years down the road there are chances for you slowly get a little better every 3 months or so.

9. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      Running did spike my tinnitus, so I stopped doing it. That was before I got hyperacusis. But probably running with earplugs will produce a huge occlusion effect, so I will not do it. Maybe I will start bicycling when this has improved to a certain extend.
      But if this has no effect on tinnitus and hyperacusis for you, probably you should just continue doing it.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Athens

Athens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/27/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been listening to pink noise for most of the day as part of sound therapy. I wear above the ear sound generators. They are not hearing aids. They just generate either white or pink noise. I have been doing this since July of last year but no real improvement noticed in relation to this sound therapy, and I wonder if it has aggravated my conditions even at a low volume.