Can Office Job Contribute to Acquiring Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LindaS, May 4, 2020.

1. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      I was asked if I worked in an occupation with high noise level. I did not. However, wondering if an office job where one is the phone or wearing headphones for a good part of the day can be a contributing factor to acquiring tinnitus (even if the volume is low)?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It can Linda. I have corresponded with people that work in call centres and wear headsets for long periods and have complained about tinnitus. However, since you told me you regularly listened to music through headphones, and probably at high volume levels without realising it, I think this caused your tinnitus. The same thing happened to me and many others in this forum.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Personally, I'm not worried about headphones on low volume. That is also the consensus among my doctors.

Now, if you listen to music at high volume, whether through headphones or speakers or anything else... that's another story.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are correct Michael. I did listen to music through headphones. Not loud though. However, I did like to turn up the music in my car. Whatever the cause, my tinnitus & hyperacusis is definitely noise induced.

I was just wondering why my left ear (the one with the tinnitus noise) would be worse than the right one. I spent over 25 years in office positions where I was on the phone for a significant portion of the day, the left ear is the one I used on the phone. I know I was starting to have hearing loss (age?) because a co-worker used my office one day and she said the volume on my phone was loud. H0wever, it was a noise trauma within the last few months that I feel caused my tinnitus & hyperacusis.

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @LindaS

If I remember correctly it has been suggested to you to wear hearing aids? I previously asked if you lived in the UK and explained my reasons for asking you. You may indeed have hearing loss and therefore, a hearing aid/s will improve your hearing and the tinnitus with time. The presence of hyperacusis coupled with the onset of tinnitus is usually (but not always) an indication of Noise induced tinnitus. You are in the early stages of tinnitus so if you do have hearing impairment, enough to warrant the fitting of hearing aids, then I think you should pursue this route.

All the best
      Michael

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael

I do not live in the UK. I reside in Canada, land of: hockey, maple syrup, and people who say "Eh?" a lot. (even the ones who don't have hearing loss) :)

I am going to pursue hearing aids with what the audiologist called "sound therapy". She is recommending Widex hearing aids. I assume it's the Zen program she is referring to. Because of the lockdown due to corona virus, I have a virtual appointment with her this Thursday to assess which hearing aid may be most beneficial for me. Then, I can pick up curbside and she can program virtually. Amazing what technology can do,

I have read posts where some have said they helped and others who said they didn't.
      Also from what I've read, each person is different. I pray they will work for me. If they don't... well, I don't know what I will do. There is no way I can live like this.

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

Thank you for enlightening me on the way of life on your side of the pond which I wasn't aware of. I trust that you really do need hearing aids.

Hoping all goes well for you and give it time for the tinnitus to improve.

I wish well.
      Michael

8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I don't think headphones at low volume can give you tinnitus.