Can't Do This Alone... Anyone Find Counseling Helpful?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason37, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I've set an appointment with a faith based counselor and I know they will want to prescribe some drug to ease out of the fear and anxiety. Would like to know the low risk options that probably won't make tinnitus worse.

2. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Hi Jason
      In the UK, an actual Counsellor would not be able to prescribe drugs. If they were part of a Mental Health Team, someone would be in place to prescribe if necessary.
      I work as a Counsellor in the UK and a lot of people find relief by being able to talk about what they find hard to bear on their own.
      Give it a go, you’ll soon know if it’s the right thing for you. Eve

• Like Like x 2
    3. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hearing aid with masking function, is really what I would recommend based on my experience. Such a relief; wish I had it earlier.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      they wont give me one with mild hearing loss

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Jason37,
      Over many years I have spoke and supported many people with tinnitus and over the phone ,forum or support group Dot and I run.
      Face to face support can really help you and unleash unwanted emotions and off load thoughts you find hard to tell the family.
      Its got to be a positive move forward for you and also talk to your doctor if need extra medication support.
      Love glynis

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      What is a "Faith-based" counselor?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      A Christian psychiatrist.

8. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      A psychiatrist would be able to prescribe for you but it’s your call. You don’t have to take meds if you don’t want to. Glynis has some sound information and advice for you.
      It’s really important that you feel supported and this can come from many places. Eve

• Like Like x 1
    9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I personally didn't find counseling helpful, but I don't think I am typical, so please don't interpret this as not recommending it for you.

In the same vein, I declined anti-depressant medications because I didn't think I was depressed or had any chemical imbalance in my brain: I simply believed that my reaction was very normal for someone who had gone through what I had. I felt "objectively depressed" if you will. So I concluded that the risk of side effects wasn't worth it to me.

What I did find helpful is simply educating myself on the subject and understanding what it is and what to expect, from a scientific point of view. It did not alleviate the symptoms, but it did take away some of the anxiety. That, and the simple passing of time, frankly.

To touch on your risk question: I don't think there's any safe med, especially ADs, unfortunately.

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Likewise, I agree here, self-education on the condition has made things a lot better for me as well — I feel that the more I understand it, the less it bothers me. I never saw a mental health professional, but I did self-educate myself on some CBT techniques, and that has been helpful as well. Oh, and yeah, time helps, this isn't something you can come to terms with a few days.

11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am ok with counseling. I am not ok with meds, because of the possible side effects. It's really up to you, not everything requires meds.

12. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It was helpful. I wish you well.

13. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Sometimes @GregCA I think you are the American me from much of what you describe, to the point where I'm wondering if I had otosclerosis all along.

@Jason37 I can't help it but "faith-based" always generates reservations in me, and I know that's not totally fair but still.... Let us know how you go.